Where's this - quiz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 02 Jun 2023

The only trees in the upper part of this "well known" valley.

Where is it ?

Bonus quodos if you can identify what I was walking up at the time.

Post edited at 19:11

Lankyman 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

You're in Wasdale (eastern Lakes) and I think you're heading up Wasdale Pike or Great Yarlside.

Dave the Rave 02 Jun 2023

That tree is photoshopped. When you enlarge it, it’s a Royal Marine sniper, superimposed on a background. Possibly, on the way up to Langdale Pikes from Elterwater?

Babika 03 Jun 2023

Heading in to Laddow?

Groundhog 03 Jun 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Possibly. It does look a bit out of place. Maybe Michael is messing with our heads! 

Doesn't look like Wasdale or Langdale to me and I'm pretty sure it's not Laddow. But I'm not sure where it is. Maybe somewhere in the Howgills?

Bottom Clinger 03 Jun 2023

You’re heading up Great Dodd?  

OP Michael Hood 03 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Correct - hopefully that was actual recognition rather than from the clue. But not correct on what I was going up, I did Wasdale Pike & Great Yarlside a couple of years ago - only picking off less prestigious Synges & Birketts on Friday.

This one was taken about 30 minutes later, the trees are about a quarter of the way in from the right and with really good eyesight (I don't actually think the resolution is good enough) you can see my parked car just beyond the bothy.

Post edited at 23:54

Lankyman 04 Jun 2023

I've walked along most of the eastern Lakes ridges and dales so thought it looked familiar. I checked a few likely locations on Geograph and found a very similar photo to yours. Is your second photo above the big Shap granite quarry? I did a walk last year coming up from Greenholme and looping under those pylons down to Shap Wells hotel - great place to see red squirrels.

OP Michael Hood 04 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

I was going up Hazel Bank when I noticed the lonely trees and took the first photo.

Second photo was on the way up Long Fell, but I wasn't yet at the top above Shap pink quarry.

Still quite a few obscure little things to go up before I complete all the Birketts and Synges, still got a handful of Nuttalls and ex-Nuttalls to do as well. As a geeky completer/finisher it's just something I have to do 😁

But it does mean I've got to lots of bits of the Lakes where not many others go; for example my first walk on Friday was a bit west of Hallin Fell, at one point I stopped and when there were no birds singing I could hear nothing, no wind, absolutely nothing. Glorious.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...