What to do in Snowdonia tomorrow (Sunday)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 26 Jan 2019

I'm heading to North Wales tomorrow and can't decide what to do or where to go?

In short the weather looks like it will be fairly wild with poor visibility so i don't want to do anything that I might fall off or where nav is too tricky as I'll be on my own.

Ive done the Pyg/Miners track lots of times, I fancy something a bit more interesting/challenging.  That said I'm not sure I fancy Crib Goch in 60mph winds.  I thought perhaps North ridge of Tryfan, Bristly Ridge, over the Glyders, then down to Ogwen... but the top of the Glyders in zero visibility in a whiteout could be tricky to navigate?

I really can't decide... any suggestions are very welcome!

mcdougal 26 Jan 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

If I absolutely had to do something mountainy tomorrow I'd approach from the south east and be prepared to turn around. A scramble would be a terrible idea as there's a massive risk of being blown off in one of those 60mph gusts that are forecast.

Maybe think about staying low this time, I bet the mountains will still be there if you get the chance to go again.

Jimbob11 26 Jan 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Stroll up to Moel Siabod from Bryn Y Glo car park. Head to Ddear Ddu which is a pleasant scramble and easy to make easier/follow the path if the wind gets a bit threatening.  DD is South East facing and wind is from North/North West, you may get some shelter, you can make a call at Llyn Y Foel if it’s a bit wild. 

Post edited at 18:59
 mcdougal 26 Jan 2019
In reply to Jimbob11:

Really scared of sounding like a know-all but those rocks on the top of Moel Siabod in storm force winds have "lower leg injury" written all over them.

Jimbob11 26 Jan 2019
In reply to mcdougal:

The big flat path leading off will be fine.. Very tame ground on the northern aspects and then cut round when down lower. Only issue is you’re in the wind. Personally tho I’d call it a cafe day.. Hence the “make a call at Llyn Y Foel”. 

J1234 26 Jan 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

A nice cultural day in Manchester, Art Gallery, some beers, Hawksmoor for a steak and a bottle of red, then home to watch antiques road show. But hey if you want to walk up a hill in Wales, crack on

Sir Chasm 26 Jan 2019
In reply to maybe_si:

Go explore the quarries (or watch Antiques Roadshow, if you're nearly dead).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...