Western Arthurs, Tasmania

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My son is in Tasmania at the moment, and mentioned the Western Arthurs Traverse. Looks tough, but absolutely fantastic. Anyone done it?

Lankyman 26 Jan 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

I've seen it in the distance but not done it. I've done the traverse of Mt Elizabeth which is a bit easier to get to and probably less hassle for permission (it's over 20 years since I was down there). It was brilliant but we could have done with a short haul rope to get packs up a bad step - we were lucky that there was another couple ahead of us who helped us out. Federation Peak also looks brilliant. Frenchmans Cap is another must do. It had the worst mud I've ever encountered on a track - not sure if they've done any track work or left it as an 'access control' measure.

In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for the reply. It certainly looks like a serious outing!

Rob Parsons 26 Jan 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> I've done the traverse of Mt Elizabeth

Are you sure you mean 'Mt Elizabeth'? Where exactly is that?

> Frenchmans Cap is another must do. It had the worst mud I've ever encountered on a track - not sure if they've done any track work or left it as an 'access control' measure.

The 'Sodden Loddons' have (unfortunately) been completely tamed by the making of a new track, about ten years go.

Trefor H 27 Jan 2023

Did Western Arthurs back in 1994, certainly a spectacular walk. A few of the scrambly sections are tricky with a pack and generally rough and slow going but  very worthwhile. 

Also recommend the Acropolis and Labyrinth off Pine Valley on the Overland Track

Lankyman 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Are you sure you mean 'Mt Elizabeth'? Where exactly is that?

Oops! Impending senility. It was of course Mt Anne. Got my queens mixed up.

> The 'Sodden Loddons' have (unfortunately) been completely tamed by the making of a new track, about ten years go.

Shame! I got myself a stick in the forest so that I wouldn't keel over in the thigh deep bits.

Robin Thomson 27 Jan 2023

I did the Western and Eastern Arthur's combined in February 2014. Took me twelve days, a fabulous experience. There is a bit of serious scrambling.

Thank you for your replies, Trefor and Robin. I have seen that some people recommend a rope for pack hauling on some of the scrambly bits. How hard are they compared to UK scrambles like Striding Edge, Crib Goch etc?

Post edited at 14:13
 Rob Parsons 27 Jan 2023

Given the weight of the packs, many people will want a rope for pack-hauling. It can also be useful for the various river crossings on the Arthur Plains (if the rivers are up.)

Edit to add:

1. Numbers of people on that route are becoming a problem.
  2. For good advice, go to the forums on https://bushwalk.com
Post edited at 14:37
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Thanks, aware of the rope recommendation. Will pass on the link to my son.

Phil Kelly 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Federation Peak is part of my hit list next time I’m over there - looks fab.

youtube.com/watch?v=pXr2SvoNYqI&

Lankyman 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Phil Kelly:

> Federation Peak is part of my hit list next time I’m over there - looks fab.

Even from a distance it stands out like a (giant) sore thumb.

Rob Parsons 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Phil Kelly:

> Federation Peak is part of my hit list next time I’m over there - looks fab.

I went up it once (a long time ago) via the Eastern Arthurs.

Incredibly - to me - it's recently been done as a _day trip_ from the Farmhouse Creek side!

Edit: see https://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18408

Not as recent as I'd remembered.

Post edited at 19:46
 Phil Kelly 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> Even from a distance it stands out like a (giant) sore thumb.

Yeah, I flew past it on the way to Melaleuca a couple of years ago. Really can’t wait to go back.

Phil Kelly 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

That’s a hard day!

Rob Parsons 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Phil Kelly:

> That’s a hard day!

Another epic trip which got done down there relatively recently was a trip up the New River, all the way up to Federation. Two German lads finally managed it. That is bloody hard country.

Post edited at 22:55
 Phil Kelly 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Another epic trip which got done down there relatively recently was a trip up the New River, all the way up to Federation. Two German lads finally managed it. That is bloody hard country.

I’ve been talking to one of them about our plans for next year. Their trip has a short video on YouTube:

youtube.com/watch?v=o3mVL780Jp8&

From chats with a few folk who have ventured that way, it’s full-on pretty quickly above NRL.

Post edited at 23:12
 Rob Parsons 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Phil Kelly:

> Yeah I’ve been talking to one of them about my plans for next year.

Ok - interesting that you know about it. But if you're chatting to the guys involved then you clearly know the score.

> From chats with a few folk who have ventured that way, it’s full-on pretty quickly above NRL.

That particular trip has defeated many strong parties in the past: the scrub in that area of SW Tasmania is as tough as it gets. An interesting recent development has been the use of packrafts - done right, it opens up new options.

Phil Kelly 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> An interesting recent development has been the use of packrafts - done right, it opens up new options.

Pack rafts certainly helped them on that trip. These days they’re light enough to carry along the SCT before heading up the lagoon to where they would be needed. Watching their video just brings it home how difficult it would be without, and in such a remote location too.

One of next years plans involves a trip up NRL and breaking out at Cavern Camp rather than progressing up to Fed Peak, thank goodness.

Phil Kelly 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> That particular trip has defeated many strong parties in the past

There are a few tales of trips up the river, some are just downright scary near death experiences.

Rob Parsons 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Phil Kelly:

> One of next years plans involves a trip up NRL and breaking out at Cavern Camp rather than progressing up to Fed Peak, thank goodness.

I''ve waded up New River lagoon to Cavern Camp. I wouldn't contemplate taking a packraft simply for that section. Do you have more complicated plans?

Phil Kelly 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I''ve waded up New River lagoon to Cavern Camp. I wouldn't contemplate taking a packraft simply for that section. Do you have more complicated plans?

Complicated but not in a difficult/dangerous sense.

Phil Kelly 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Drop me a DM, Rob.

Rob Parsons 27 Jan 2023
In reply to Phil Kelly:

> Drop me a DM, Rob.

Ok, will do. This conversation is possibly of little interest to anybody else - but, on the contrary, it might perhaps have piqued other peoples' interest. It's a fascinating part of the world!

Bobling 28 Jan 2023

Absolutely love this thread about one of my favourite parts of the world, great memories from my time picking apples in the Huon valley and bushwalking where we could.

Going full Aussie I am stoked for your son WaW.  Hope he has a great time.

In reply to Bobling:

Thanks Bobling - the mountains of Tasmania look incredible.

My son starts tomorrow, I think, hiking with a friend. 

Phil Kelly 28 Jan 2023

He’ll have a great time. Let us know how he gets on.

P

In reply to Phil Kelly:

Will do.

Lankyman 28 Jan 2023

> Thanks Bobling - the mountains of Tasmania look incredible.

They certainly are. I thought they had the individuality and character of peaks like Suilven and Stac Pollaidh but surrounded by dense forest. If your son hasn't already done it I'd recommend the Overland Track. There are lots of side trips to some super mountains including Mt Ossa, the highest in Tasmania.

In reply to Lankyman:

Yes, I have seen pics of Cradle Mountain etc, and the Overland Track itself looks fantastic. Pity that I live so far away [/sigh]

Shouldn't complain though - I have the Lakeland Fells on my doorstep, and some wonderful mountains in Britain (you mentioned two).

Post edited at 10:15
 Rob Parsons 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Phil Kelly:

> I’ve been talking to one of them about our plans for next year. Their trip has a short video on YouTube:

They also wrote a good article about their trip in 'Wild' magazine, edition #164.

The full magazine is available on-line for a small sum at https://adventure-shop.com.au/products/wild-164

The article is available for free at http://brandoutdoor.de/downloads/wild-april-2018.pdf

Post edited at 10:49
 Rob Parsons 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

In similar epic vein, a Belgian lad - Louis-Phillipe Loncke - did a solo traverse of the entire state in 2007, and came badly unstuck in the area around Mt Bobs. You can read his account of it at https://www.louis-philippe-loncke.com/2006/12/wild-mountains-of-tasmania.ht... and https://www.louis-philippe-loncke.com/2007/08/wild-mountains-of-tasmania-br...

He went back in 2018 for a winter traverse following a different route.

Both trips got covered in threads on https://bushwalk.com/forum/

Post edited at 11:03
 Lankyman 28 Jan 2023

> Shouldn't complain though - I have the Lakeland Fells on my doorstep, and some wonderful mountains in Britain (you mentioned two).

When we were in Melbourne travel agent getting tickets for the ferry to Tassie, an American traveller came over to chat. You can always spot outdoors types a mile off. 'Do you want to know where the best place for hiking is?' he asked. I thought this was the cue for some stereotypical American boasting about the admittedly great stuff Stateside. To my initial surprise he said 'Britain'. Then he reeled off things like the ease of access, lack of rules, rights of way, history and of course, the hills, mountains and sheer variety of landscapes. I've always thought he was right. It's great to see what's around elsewhere but I never doubt how lucky we are here.

Jamie Hageman 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Ok, will do. This conversation is possibly of little interest to anybody else - but, on the contrary, it might perhaps have piqued other peoples' interest. It's a fascinating part of the world!

I absolutely love reading about Tassie!  I've only been once but had a taster of how difficult the vegetation and boulders can be climbing Mt Anne.  Lots to go back to for me.

I met up with Mr Abel himself Bill Wilkinson.  Great guy and his guidebooks are excellent.

Rob Parsons 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> I've only been once but had a taster of how difficult the vegetation and boulders can be climbing Mt Anne.

It's impossible to describe the vegetation to someone who hasn't been there - you really do need to experience it. In tough country, progress of one mile per day could be good going.

> I met up with Mr Abel himself Bill Wilkinson.  Great guy and his guidebooks are excellent.

Getting that list ticked off would be some serious effort - though several people have now done it. By comparison, ticking the Munros is child's play.

Robin Thomson 28 Jan 2023

I didn't take a rope and was glad that I didn't, the effort of carrying it would not have exceeded the benefit. My memory is not perfect, the ridges and their ups and downs were ok, one crossing of a gulley was memorable, maybe v diff.

Phil Kelly 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

L-PL sure put himself out there with that winter effort. I remember following the story on bushwalk at the time.

for such a small state Tasmania packs a hell of a punch. It’s quite sobering to be in such remote wilderness yet still being less distance than Sheffield to Llanberis away from the state capital. NOTE I just made that up, but it’s probably correct-ish.

Had a call from my son this morning - he and his friend had to beat a retreat in the face of heavy rain, ferocious winds (his tent partially collapsed), and it even snowed on them as they were descending. But he still had a great time, camped high on the ridge, on a beach by Lake Cygnus for 2 nights, and climbed Mt Hesperus (1098m), Mt Hayes (1119m), Mt Sirius (1151m), and was defeated by steep rock within metres of the summit of Mt Orion.

May post some photos in due course - it is fantastic country.

This was his approximate route -
https://www.komoot.com/tour/1022525224?share_token=aTYk6TBRQkmwWJF0CYrNyE1Y...

Rob Parsons 02 Feb 2023

> ... he and his friend had to beat a retreat in the face of heavy rain, ferocious winds ... it even snowed ...

Hey - welcome to Tassie! (And let's not forget the thigh-deep mud.) It's a fabulous place!

> ... it is fantastic country.

It is.

The conservation aspects are also critical. Anybody interested might direct their time and money towards these efforts: https://www.wilderness.org.au/about/tasmania and https://lakepedder.org/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...