Vesuvius Crater Rim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tarquell 21 Oct 2019

Hi, 

I'm taking a group of Geography and History pupils to Naples.  I know I can take them up to the edge of the crater of Vesuvius. Is it possible to walk all the way around the crater? I understand the path isn't as good as the one to the top but is it: A. possible and B permissible? 

Thanks

Post edited at 12:19
 stevieb 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Tarquell:

I went 3 or 4 years ago. About 1/3 of the crater rim was open for walking by yourself. I think the route to the summit was guide led only. And I’m not sure that you could do the full circuit at all. You still get great views into the crater though. 

SNC 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Tarquell:

We were there in the summer.  The path round the crater looked possible for certain - there was a group on it - but I think it's not permitted without an official guide.  An Italian park ranger blew a whistle and shouted in no uncertain terms at two people who crossed a rope boundary and set off up the rim.  Don't know if it would a good idea for a big school party.  One thing that may be worth investigating is how to get to and from the crater.  We took the tourist coach, but I think there may be other approach walks - interesting from a geography/geology angle - from lower down.  It's pure comedy gold at the top car park as they try to turn round 20 coaches in a space meant for about 5.  

OP Tarquell 21 Oct 2019
In reply to SNC:

Thank you that's really helpful. Just the sort of information I was after. 

Mark Bull 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Tarquell:

There are some details of the various trails in the national park here: https://www.parconazionaledelvesuvio.it/visita-il-parco/i-sentieri-del-vesu... 

LastBoyScout 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Tarquell:

Echoing what StevieB and SNC said - you can do some of it yourself, but it's an out-and-back walk - you can see down into it in several places, though.

The path is ok, I did it in sandals at exactly this time of year. Bear in mind that it can get quite chilly/windy at the top, even if it's hot at the bottom, so take a jumper just in case.

The tourist kiosks will obviously tell you it's far too dangerous to drive up yourself, but it's fine - they take coaches up there! Just be careful there isn't one coming the other way as you go round the hairpins. As SNC said, the car park is organised chaos - be prepared to wait for a parking space while the chap directs traffic in typically Italian fashion.

There's a souvenir/drinks kiosk in the car park and another along the rim - with prices to match the altitude, iirc.

There's another car park where you can walk up from - see the details in the link Mark posted.

If you have time for a day trip to Capri, you can get a pretty good view of Vesuvius from the summit there.

Glug 22 Oct 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

We were there two weeks ago, they will only let cars park on the lower road, the top car park is coaches only, there is a shuttle bus from the car park to the ticket office, we walked but it wasn't a pleasant one with coaches passing all the way. It's 6 euros for parking and 10 euros per person for entry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...