Ultimate Kit List

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HillGoingNik 06 Jan 2022

Sorry but cannot find a similar thread - feel free to give me a link if this has been discussed before.........

I am sick and tired of finding then throwing all my kit from various parts of the house/garage/loft into the car boot in a rush at the last minute and then getting to the bottom of the hill and throwing it all in my rucksack.

Then, while out on the hill having such a disorganised rucksack and potentially having forgotten something.  Sometimes not bothering to get out a camera cos it is at the bottom and too much bother to unpack and repack...... 

So what am I gonna do about it?

Seek advice and ideas on a forum (tick). 
Buy some packing backs to try to organise the rucksack interior (tick). 
 - Ebay Item 183113926364
Buy a second rucksack liner for in the base of rucksack (tick)
 - some items hardly ever come out and can stay in the dry
 - Osprey 30 to 50 litre
Create a decent kit list (tick)

Rucksacks and kit is very personal!  But I am interested in comments from others. 
(1) ways of being organised
(2) ways of saving weight
(3) ways of staying safe
(4) ways of not worrying about kit, having the right kit with you and having a cracking day out in the hills in all weathers!

@@@ Outside Top Pocket of Rucksack @@@

Map Laminated
Compass
Whistle
Waterproof Notepad
Pencil
Petzl Head Torch inc case
MaxxD MTB Torch
Sun Glasses (in a case)
Reading Glasses (in a case)
Anker Battery Pack
Anker Battery leads – Android, Petzl, Garmin
Multitool or Leatherman inc Case  - Swiss Army

@@@  Inside Top Pocket of Rucksack @@@

Guides and Route Books
Car Keys + Wallet Cash Cards  - In Zip Case

@@@  Loose in Top of Rucksack  @@@

Waterproof Jacket
Waterproof Trousers
Flask
Butty Box inc butties
Water Bottle
Goody Snack Box inc Gels inc SIS Tabs ThermaRest Sitting Sponge
Osprey Drinking Bladder - Buy a rucksack with dedicated pocket!

@@@Side of Rucksack@@@

Walking Poles

@@@ Waterproof Side Pocket of Rucksack  @@@

Go Pro
Go Pro Batteries
Go Pro Remote
Go Pro Rucksack Clip/Mount
SD Cards
SD Card Reader
Rollei Gorilla Tripod
Mobile Phone Tripod Holder
Mobile Phone inc Waterproof Case
Backup battery Pack

@@@ Top of Rucksack Osprey Liner @@@

Blue Windproof Fleece
Brown Light Fleece

@@@Red Packing Bag 1 - Spare Dry Clothing  @@@

Ron Hills
Spare Base Layer
Spare Socks
Winter Roll Neck
Winter Fleece Trousers

@@@Red Packing Bag 2@@@

Toilet Paper
Toilet Trowel
Garmin Oregon 700 GPS
Garmin Oregon 700 Battery and Spare
Spot Emergency GPS Beacon

@@@Red Packing Bag 3 or Side Pocket or Rucksack  @@@

Gloves
Waterproof Mittens
Warm Hat x 2
Montane Balaclava
Sun Hat

@@@ Winter Gear @@@

Walkers Crampons
Walker Ice Axe

bouldery bits 06 Jan 2022
In reply to HillGoingNik:

The problem, I suppose, is that it's not a one size fits all thing. I pack for what I'm going to do and what I can reasonably expect to encounter. 

olddirtydoggy 06 Jan 2022

Not sure if I'm tuning into your thread quite right here but it sounds more like a problem with being organised rather than the kit itself. The last minute thing we don't really do, our trips are rather planned unless it's a quick hike.

We have some Ikea tower units at 800mm wide with basket drawers and rails with hooks on them. We have a winter drawer with the crampons and bits we'd need for a winter climb. A drawer with gas, burners and dried food/snacks and so on. We're lucky to have a small box room spare.

This system means that we don't forget anything when going out for a 2 day trek as the kit is already organised into groups where it's just grab and go.

As far as packing a bag, the kit does have an order but that happens the same every time due to habit, habit in turn causes order. I wonder if members might post the odd pic of kit rooms and how they organise?

Bottom Clinger 06 Jan 2022

The only thing you need from that very long list is your Ron Hills and the GoPro.  Everything else is surplus.  

lpretro1 06 Jan 2022

I find it best to pack my sack the night before (except for butties whch will be in frdige overnight). This can be done at a leisurely pace and selected on basis of the season, the weather expected and the type and duration of the outing. I'm not into all the techno gadgets you seem to have in addition to usual montain kit though - apart from I'd carry a mobile phone which doubles as a camera and there for any emergency. But that it your personal choice. I notice that you have not included any kind of first aid kit though - I'd deem that as an essentail. Oh and a spare pair of boot laces !!

DerwentDiluted 06 Jan 2022

Nah, too much overthinking for me. When I was on an MRT I was forever fretting about remembering all the kit. So I simplified my mental ticklist, before setting out I'd have a quick sniff of the weather and ask if I'd reasonably covered the 6 'shuns' ;

Insulashun, navigashun, illuminashun, nutrishun, hydrashun, communicashun.

Add on for climbing - protecshun, and for biking - (re)inflashun.

And I'm good to go in a few seconds.

Post edited at 17:02
 VictorM 06 Jan 2022

Do what the Special Forces units do and buy everything ten times so you can have several 'kits'

-Light day hike kit

-Multi day hike kit

-Alpine/Winter climbing kit

-Cragging kit

Or, do what every sane and pennywise person does and invest in a proper shelving unit with plastic crates/clear plastic boxes and organise before you leave. Ours is organised as follows:

-Sleeping bags on top

-Self-inflated mattresses on the right side standing up

-Backpacks to the right small to large

-Shelf with cooking equipment and thermos bottles

-Shelf with packbags and water/camelbak related items

-Shelf with climbing equipment, one box with stuff often used and one with stuff only occasionally needed or backups

-Shelf with helmets and crampons

-Table to pack on

*I still need to hang hooks for ropes and ice axe/tools and add a shelf for shoes

*Gym climbing items and clothing are upstairs in the apartment

I'd be surprised if it takes me more than an hour from going downstairs to the storage unit to having a properly packed bag once I have chosen an objective. 

Kryank 06 Jan 2022
In reply to lpretro1:

I enjoy packing most things the night before, after all getting excited is half the fun! 
also I always put my hard shell jacket outside my pack in the mesh pocket on the front of the pack, after all if it starts raining it’s going on.

I do use a few dry bags inside though, different colours for different things, Red for emergency stuff, blue for clothes etc. 

Myr 06 Jan 2022

Tripod
Three different sets of spare batteries
Three different sets of battery leads
SD card *reader*
Trowel
Sitting sponge
Notepad
Spare hat & a balaclava
Entire set of dry inner clothing

Ditch these.

Post edited at 17:07
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> The only thing you need from that very long list is your Ron Hills and the GoPro.  Everything else is surplus.  

I think we need to know what colour Ron Hills are being proposed. My climbing buddy had some red ones, never seen anyone else wearing red ones, and when they were combined with a climbing harness they created a visually loud posing pouch effect (see Cameo - “Word Up”) which really put me off my lunch. Whereas the more usual black ones are acceptable as formalwear. 

Post edited at 17:56
 Bottom Clinger 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Black, white stripes, stirrups either to the front or back. 

Dave the Rave 06 Jan 2022

Not mocking and will contribute hopefully usefully soon, but as the Great Jim Royle would say, ‘sitting sponge, my arse’

Dave the Rave 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Myr:

Wouldn’t ditch a balaclava for anyone outside summer. Most underrated bit of kit out there.

bouldery bits 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> Black, white stripes, stirrups either to the front or back. 

One front, one back. 

What works for me is to always pack up at the end of the day as though preparing for the next trip. Likewise, when striking camp, pack the tent etc absolutely ready for the next trip. Keep all the camping gear (e.g. tent, airbed, stove, lights, etc) in one holdall, and the climbing  gear in two sacks: one daypack with the gear I always use, e.g. harness, climbing shoes, standard gear; another pack for rope(s) and supplementary climbing gear. Ropes are usually in rope bags. Then a quick check and minor readjustments the night before is all that necessary before turfing the gear into the car the next day. Food and drink goes in last and separately, along with spare boots, clothes etc. Most of my climbing partners over the years have done more or less the same.

If you are going on a longer trip and must have some modern gadgetry, use a check list for packing those items. (That's what I always do on business trips: I find it twice as fast packing with a check list than without.)

kwoods 06 Jan 2022

I'm a serial list-scribbler because without I'd be hopelessly scatter-brained. I don't do this for day walks or climbing (just throw things in a bag and go for that). But if it's a multi-day thing, or different activities, everything gets listed on paper as I gather them together. Having done that I can be being happy I'm forgetting nothing. Works for me anyway.

compost 07 Jan 2022

I read this thread a bit in bewilderment. Firstly at the idea of fitting your entire list into a 30-50l pack, and secondly in what circumstances you would need everything on that list. I can't think of any.

I would consider these to be essential:

Map Laminated
Compass
Whistle
Petzl Head Torch inc case
Reading Glasses (in a case) if you need them to read the map
Car Keys + Wallet Cash Cards  - In Zip Case
Waterproof Jacket
Waterproof Trousers
Butty Box inc butties
Osprey Drinking Bladder - Buy a rucksack with dedicated pocket!

and some first aid/ survival kit if you know how to use it

These may be essential depending on your bowels :-D: 
Toilet Paper
Toilet Trowel

The rest of the stuff on your list is situationally dependent and surely a bit of forward planning based on the intended route, time of year, weather, duration of trip and your ability means that packing the remaining stuff is simple?

Post edited at 17:08

> I am sick and tired of finding then throwing all my kit from various parts of the house/garage/loft into the car boot in a rush at the last minute and then getting to the bottom of the hill and throwing it all in my rucksack.

Don't pack at the last minute.

Have lists; excel spreadsheet with multiple tabs, for instance.

I also use 'systems' to think about what I need, depending on what I'm doing: carry, shelter, sleep, cook, clothe, clean, water, consumables, navigation, activity, emergency.

Post edited at 17:34
 MG 07 Jan 2022

Water bottle and flask and bladder!? 

Fredt 07 Jan 2022

Anything less than 10 miles, and above freezing, I'd try and avoid taking a rucksack. Eat and drink before you go.

iPhone with preloaded OS map.

If its hot I take an empty Katadyn filter bottle.

Post edited at 19:00
 jethro kiernan 08 Jan 2022

Being systematic is the key.

Im generally a little bit messy so I go for messy systems, a mixture of boxes for hardware and the fancy bag for life’s for clothes and camping gear.

I have a MRT bag that is permanently ready to go so I have to remember to put things like crampons, waterproofs etc back in when I’ve been out.

all my camping cookware, stoves, canister cups etc live in one bag.

winter thermals etc live in another and so on 

so any packing just involves combining  the contents of a few bags. A trip away just involves putting all the bags in one big duffle bag.

no running around looking in draws for your favourite gloves.

generally I will re pack the bag at the end of the day ready for the next trip out.

a handful of waterproof stuff sacs makes life easier just don’t overfill them as you increase the faff on the hill.

Steve Claw 08 Jan 2022
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Nah, too much overthinking for me. When I was on an MRT I was forever fretting about remembering all the kit. So I simplified my mental ticklist, before setting out I'd have a quick sniff of the weather and ask if I'd reasonably covered the 6 'shuns' ;

> Insulashun, navigashun, illuminashun, nutrishun, hydrashun, communicashun.

> Add on for climbing - protecshun, and for biking - (re)inflashun.

> And I'm good to go in a few seconds.

Possibly one of the best posts I've seen on this subject. 

profitofdoom 08 Jan 2022
In reply to compost:

> I read this thread a bit in bewilderment.....

I didn't. The OP's post was a massive advertising post, and he / she was quickly banned from the forum. And remains banned

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...