Tryfan circular

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MrToffee 10 Oct 2019

Good afternoon all, Happy Thursday!

first post to excuse me if it goes in the wrong section etc...

Heading out to Tryfan on Sunday was planning to do the full tryfan circular but im at a party the night before so might have a tender head.

My question is has anyone ever done the full circular of tryfan? Is it difficult? 

i have done the snowdon horse shoe (up crib goch over snowdon and up and over the watkin) so that can be used as a guide to difficulty if anyone knows. 

Thanks 

dgp 10 Oct 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

What do you mean by the Tryfan circular ?

Matt Podd 10 Oct 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

Not sure what is meant by 'The full Tryfan Circular', but I would say up Tryfan north ridge, on to Bristly ridge and down the Gribin ridge as a fine day out. The scrambling is probably a bit harder than Snowdon Horseshoe - which normally goes over Lliwedd. Take care in the wet and probably best to pack a helmet for Bristly ridge.

Stichtplate 10 Oct 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

Couple of options. Up Tryfan North ridge, down south ridge, up Bristly ridge via Sinister gully (this is at the top end of grade 1 and make sure you're in Sinister and not Dexter which is horribly loose and chossy at its exit).

From the top of Glyder Fach you can either descend via the grade 1 Y Gribin (stay to the right, looking down on the left are what look like paths, they're not).

Otherwise, continue on to summit Glyder Fawr and then descend by the steep path to the right of Devil's kitchen.

PaulJepson 10 Oct 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

Not dissimilar to the Snowdon Horshoe in terms of size of day but a little harder terrain and trickier route-finding. Bristly ridge in particular can feel a bit 'out-there' for grade 1. The descent down Y Gribin is a trudge. 

MrToffee 10 Oct 2019

Sorry thats just what my friend mentioned it to me as. Not sure if there is a correct name for it, i have just had a look on the all trails app and its named Tryfan to Y Garn circular walk. From what i can make out on the app depending on the direction you go it starts the north ridge over tryfan around to Y Garn then passes Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach

fair walk 8.3 miles its says on the app

Darron 10 Oct 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

The order is actually Tryfan, G Fach, G Fawr and Y Garn.

Here is a bing map link:

https://www.bing.com/maps?FORM=Z9LH3

If link does not work put Ogwen into Bing maps search. Surprised it’s 8 miles. Full day for most though.

MrToffee 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Darron:

Thanks Darron. Im just going off what the All Trails app had the distance down as. Thanks for the advice  

Bulls Crack 11 Oct 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

I think the Tryfan Circular stops hourly outside the Ogwen Cottage

ScottTalbot 11 Oct 2019
In reply to Darron:

> The order is actually Tryfan, G Fach, G Fawr and Y Garn.

This makes more sense to me...

If it's wet, I'd avoid Bristley Ridge, especially if you don't know the route. It can get a bit hairy up there. You can just avoid it by taking the scree path to the left of the ridge.

NBR 11 Oct 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

Its a ruddy good day out, nothing clears a hangover better than a yomp up the North Ridge of Tryfan ( * ) the key is not to have to many layers on!

As others have said if your not an experienced scrambler Bristly in the wet and wind can be 'interesting' but is easily avoided.

* User experience may vary.

Post edited at 12:39
 Darron 25 Oct 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

How did you get on?

MrToffee 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Darron:

Sorry mate only just seen this. The hangover/sleep deprivation was worse than we imagined so we arrived later than we would of liked and weather took a turn for the worse not long after we left the car park  so we just went up and down tryfan. Be going back soon to do the full route 

C Witter 19 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

If you're fit and the conditions are good, it's a good half-day out, with some great scrambling. Although... in snowy and greasy conditions it might be a little slower. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...