Strathfarrar advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 21 Oct 2019

Evening

Im looking to travel up and walk this route in a few weeks. It’s a nine hour drive with stops meaning I will get there around 6pm. I’ve joined the MC of S so access isn’t an issue.

I think the gates open at 0800. Is there anywhere to camp before the gates or sleep in the car? Cannich campsite is reasonably close but it’s hardly worth pitching to get to the start early.

Is the campsite any good and is there a pub within a short walk?

I need to drive back on the Sunday so am looking at options for on the way back. Basically I want to camp near to a pub.

Options are Cannich if it’s any good but leaves me a 9 hour drive.

Drive to Red Squirrel. ? 3 hrs away and a bit too much hassle to walk up to the pub.

Kingshouse? No clue what this is like now.

That pub further down the lane from Bridge of Orchy but probably too far.

Thoughts gratefully received.

Dave 

DaveHK 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

The Cannich campsite is really nice. There is a pub in easy walking distance but it's frankly a bit weird. I'd go back to the campsite and go for a pint in the pub but wouldn't rush back there for food.

There are plenty of places nearby you could kip in your car if you need to but I'd say you've got plenty of time to go to the Cannich Campsite the night before.

Where are you driving back to?

Guy Hurst 21 Oct 2019

The Slaters in Cannich used to be a good pub. Basic, but decent food and good beer. Not sure about it now.

GForce1 21 Oct 2019
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Tommich Hotel is nearby and recommended.

OP Dave the Rave 21 Oct 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks for that Dave. Do you know how long the drive to the gates is from the Cannich site please?

Im going from the west side of Chester.

ScraggyGoat 21 Oct 2019

Website information says the campsite is closed all November, a good campsite out of midge season and Slaters is fine. Real fire, friendly pub dogs, Spaniels who tart with everyone, but know they are not allowed in the restaurant area.

DaveHK 21 Oct 2019

> Thanks for that Dave. Do you know how long the drive to the gates is from the Cannich site please?

10 mins maybe? Edit: not much good if it's shut!

> Im going from the west side of Chester.

In that case, I'd suggest you'd be quicker coming back via the A9 rather than down the A82 like you seemed to be suggesting. That also gives you lots of options for places to stop on way down.

Post edited at 21:11
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Thanks Scraggy. That’s one option out of the equation

In reply to DaveHK:

> 10 mins maybe? Edit: not much good if it's shut!

> In that case, I'd suggest you'd be quicker coming back via the A9 rather than down the A82 like you seemed to be suggesting. That also gives you lots of options for places to stop on way down.

Yeah you’re right thanks. Probably Aviemore it is unless you know better places to stay?

cheers 

dave

DaveHK 21 Oct 2019

> I think the gates open at 0800. 

I'm sure you've checked this out but the winter arrangements involve you getting the gate code from the MCofS and opening it yourself.

In reply to DaveHK:

> I'm sure you've checked this out but the winter arrangements involve you getting the gate code from the MCofS and opening it yourself.

That bit is sorted. Thank you.

UKH Forums 22 Oct 2019
This thread was started in the THE PUB forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Sean Kelly 22 Oct 2019

We used 2 cars so we saved the walk back up the road in the glen. Just a thought

DaveHK 22 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> We used 2 cars so we saved the walk back up the road in the glen. Just a thought

Or stash a bike. Or do the route with a mountain bike, the descent off the West end is superb. 

OP Dave the Rave 22 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Thanks Sean.

I think that’s the plan hopefully.

Any thoughts on places to car camp the night before or even places to stay down the A9 on the way back?

So far I’ve got just drive to where I’m meeting the guys and kip there( but there’s a risk of phishing off the locals who live close by which I don’t want to do) or Beauly campsite.

For the way back I’ve got the car park opposite the pub by the river or Blair Atholl campsite which was posh and expensive.

thanks

dave

DaveHK 22 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:>

> For the way back I’ve got the car park opposite the pub by the river or Blair Atholl campsite which was posh and expensive.

If by 'pub by the river' you mean the Struy Inn check it's open, they keep unusual hours.

I stayed in the Blair Atholl campsite in the summer and it was £10 a night which is reasonable but that was just me and no car. Decent chippy there and the bar in the hotel is pretty good too.

In reply to DaveHK:

I meant the pub by the river in Aviemore ? The Bridge inn.

Are you talking about the site that looks like a sports centre in Blair Dave or is there another?

I remember 10 years or so ago I pitched up at about 0100 and got charged £20 for a few hours kip

DaveHK 22 Oct 2019

> I meant the pub by the river in Aviemore ? The Bridge inn.

Oh right, didn't realise you meant Aviemore.

> Are you talking about the site that looks like a sports centre in Blair Dave or is there another?

I stayed here: http://www.rivertiltpark.co.uk/ heading south it's on the right a few hundred metres past the river. Edit: just looked at their prices and it's £21 for car an tent, steep if you're on your own.

There is another one called the Blair Castle caravan park or something but don't know anything about that.

Post edited at 20:50
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks again Dave. That looks more promising and will take the edge off the drive home. I think I stayed at the other one. 

Simon Caldwell 22 Oct 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Or if you've got a bike you can just park outside the gate and cycle down the Glen without any time pressures. 

Sean Kelly 23 Oct 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Funnily enough at the time I also had a mountain bike on the roof of the car,  but as we had 2 cars... Do they still issue tickets as you go onto the estate?

Post edited at 09:36
 DaveHK 23 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Funnily enough at the time I also had a mountain bike on the roof of the car,  but as we had 2 cars... Do they still issue tickets as you go onto the estate?

Only in the summer. 

I got pulled up a few years back for an 'unauthorised entry' to the glen in winter so they're clearly monitoring it even when they're not ticketing. The story I've heard is that there are a number of estates in the glen but it is only one who has a serious issue with vehicular access.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...