Stop the MOD closing off Cape Wrath.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iain Thow 12 Jan 2013
If you care about access to wild country then sign this petition. The local community is trying to buy the land around Cape Wrath, the far NW tip of Britain, which is being sold off by the Northern Lighthouse Board. The MOD want to buy it and ban access. It is the terminus of a popular long distance route and has some stunning cliff scenery & beaches which the public should surely have a right to enjoy. The effect of closure of the Cape on local tourist businesses would be huge as visiting Cape Wrath is one of the main reasons people visit the area.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-the-mod-from-buying-cape-wrath-and-...
Douglas Griffin 12 Jan 2013
 fmck 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Iain Thow:
Don't they already own a substantial area there already. It's not an all out ban they advertise when the area is closed?
I think sometimes people forget how much the military give in order for folks to drive to Cape Wrath. Lives!

Nope no vote from me and I still have some Marilyn peaks to visit here.
 skog 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Iain Thow:
Signed, thanks!

In reply to fmck:
> I think sometimes people forget how much the military give in order for folks to drive to Cape Wrath. Lives!

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Individual soldiers give their lives defending the freedoms we enjoy, and they deserve our support, but they're not the ones wanting to buy this land, and that's no reason to support everything the MoD does - it's a massive bureaucracy, not unlike most others. I find it unlikely that land ownership around Cape Wrath will affect the number of lives lost at war - but it could easily have serious consequences for the local economy, and on our rights to enjoy a particularly beautiful part of the country.
 Steve Perry 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Iain Thow: I agree with the petition but are people 100% certain the MOD want to ban access? As said they already own a big chunk of it and only close it occasionally when firing. Do they not just want to increase the firing range and carry on as they do now or are they definitely going to close the whole area?
 Mikkel 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:

Maybe they want to to charge for access so they can save up for planes for the new carriers.
 Tony the Blade 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to Steve Perry)
>
> Maybe they want to to charge for access so they can save up for planes for the new carriers.

The new carriers are to be sold immediately following construction.

I'll sign if there's a definitive comment from MoD regarding total closure or not.
OP Iain Thow 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
The Minister for State for Defence Personnel has stated that all access for the local community would be precluded for health and safety reasons. Sounds like "total closure" to me. The range is only open the days it is to give access to the lighthouse. If that closes then the rest of the range will too, so no sccess to Kervaig, A'Chailleach etc.
 blondel 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Iain Thow:

I'm completely onside with regard to wanting an assurance that nutcases like me will still be permitted to hack a way through the very inhospitable wilderness around Cape Wrath with a backpack and wet feet, but let's be sure of the facts before we shoot ourselves in one of those soggy feet. According to the Herald as quoted above:

"an MoD spokesman said: "The MoD has shown an interest in the site at Cape Wrath and is aware a community right to buy application is under consideration with the Scottish Government.

"The MoD is awaiting the outcome of this application and no action will be taken ahead of a decision being made. However, should the site be purchased by the MoD, there are no plans to restrict public access further than present arrangements."
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jan 2013
In reply to Steve Perry:
> are people 100% certain the MOD want to ban access?

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=67686
In a letter released this week, the Minsiter of State for Defence Personnel Mark Francois acknowledges that if the MOD obtain the last remaining part of the Cape then 'for reasons of Health and Safety, any access by the local community would be precluded.'

This statement has been published in many places since mid December, but I've yet to see anyone from the MoD deny that such a ban would be implemented. Surely if they didn't intend it then they'd have said so by now?
Removed User 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Iain Thow: For goodness sake all of you stop nit picking, if they buy it and stop access it'll be too late!!
 jonnie3430 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Iain Thow:

It'd be a great nature reserve if the MoD did buy it. (No access for thosde horrible humans who damage everything.)
 Pritchard 14 Jan 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:

Yeah... Until they bomb it...
 skog 14 Jan 2013
In reply to jonnie3430:
> It'd be a great nature reserve if the MoD did buy it. (No access for thosde horrible humans who damage everything.)

Unless, say, it was a firing and bombing range?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=garvie+island&oq=garvie+isl...

Pretty amazing, but perhaps not ideal for conservation!
Douglas Griffin 14 Jan 2013
In reply to skog:

I seem to recall reading in Iain Mitchell's Islands of the North that the wildlife seemed to have done surprisingly well at the rocket testing base at Baile Mhanaich on S Uist. I think what typically happens at Cape Wrath is a bit more drastic, however!
 jonnie3430 14 Jan 2013
In reply to Pritchard:

I would imagine that there would be a large margin of error which would be perfect for animals to live unaffected by human beans.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...