Steep Hill Climbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 29 Oct 2018

I'm looking for some steep hill climbs for training purposes, after Great Gable at the weekend I think I've pretty much exhausted the possibilities in England and Wales.

Criteria:

1. Minimum 950m of continuous height gain
2. Maximum 3km horizontal distance

I've had a look at the OS Map but it's not always possible to differentiate good candidates where no path is marked - would prefer not to be ascending 1000m of near vertical heather and bog.

Candidates so far - 

* Ben More from the North
* Ben Nevis from Glen Nevis

Preferably nothing North of the A86, though some of the Kintail summits look like good candidates.

Billhook 29 Oct 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

Perhaps I;m missing something.  Can't you do Great Gable again?  There's loads of hills with steep ascents in the Lakes - although you may have to divert off a footpath.  Can;t you simply go up two or three smaller hills though?

Tringa 29 Oct 2018

> I'm looking for some steep hill climbs for training purposes, after Great Gable at the weekend I think I've pretty much exhausted the possibilities in England and Wales.

> Criteria:

> 1. Minimum 950m of continuous height gain

> 2. Maximum 3km horizontal distance

> I've had a look at the OS Map but it's not always possible to differentiate good candidates where no path is marked - would prefer not to be ascending 1000m of near vertical heather and bog.

> Candidates so far - 

> * Ben More from the North

> * Ben Nevis from Glen Nevis

> Preferably nothing North of the A86, though some of the Kintail summits look like good candidates.

Stob Ban and Sgurr a Mhaim from Achriabhach in Glen Nevis. A little over your horizontal max but they meet your vertical criterion.

If you do venture further north head for Torridon, you'll be spoiled for choice

Dave

In reply to Billhook:

> Perhaps I;m missing something.  Can't you do Great Gable again?  

Training has to be progressive, so after 750-800m of height gain on Great Gable I need to increase that, which in England and Wales you can't by much. I can carry more weight and do the same again, but it is tedious to repeat the same routes over and over again.

> Can;t you simply go up two or three smaller hills though?

No, because that would not be continuous.

Mark Bull 29 Oct 2018

Bidean nam Bian from Achnambeithach (1050m/2.7km) 

Stob Coire nan Lochan via Coire an Lochain (1000m/2.8km) 

Sgurr a' Mhaim from Glen Nevis (1000m/2.7km) 

(As an aside, the steepest 900 metres in the UK is probably either the S side of Am Fasarinen on Liathach or the SW of Sgurr na Ciste Dubh in Glen Shiel, both about 1.2km distance) 

In reply to Mark Bull:

> (As an aside, the steepest 900 metres in the UK is probably either the S side of Am Fasarinen on Liathach or the SW of Sgurr na Ciste Dubh in Glen Shiel, both about 1.2km distance) 

Thanks, all useful suggestions. I'm familiar with the S. side of Liathach having been up there many times, but it's a bit of a trek for a weekend hit.

spartacus 29 Oct 2018

I can’t help but feel this misses most of the motives for going to wild places. To look, to feel, to experience the sublime. 

Each to their own!

In reply to Mark Bull:

> Stob Coire nan Lochan via Coire an Lochain (1000m/2.8km) 

You know I've been up that way many times and it doesn't seem that steep, certainly not as steep as Gable. I think the path dog-legs a lot.

Pkrynicki1984 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Tringa:

I've had a look at the OS Map but it's not always possible to differentiate good candidates where no path is marked - would prefer not to be ascending 1000m of near vertical heather and bog.

Whats up with thee? 

In reply to spartacus:

> I can’t help but feel this misses most of the motives for going to wild places. To look, to feel, to experience the sublime. 

> Each to their own!

I'm afraid you've entirely missed the point. I'm not looking to feel or experience the sublime, I'm looking for the equivalent of an outdoor gymnasium.

Andy Nisbet 29 Oct 2018

Sgurr Fhuaran (Five Sisters) from the valley floor is over 1000m and reasonable steep going.

The New NickB 29 Oct 2018

> I'm afraid you've entirely missed the point. I'm not looking to feel or experience the sublime, I'm looking for the equivalent of an outdoor gymnasium.

I don’t say this easily, but in this case I think that you may be better with an indoor gymnasium.

In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Cheers Andy.

In reply to The New NickB:

> I don’t say this easily, but in this case I think that you may be better with an indoor gymnasium.

You think 1000m of ascent with upwards of 10kg in a pack is better done in a gym? You must have an exceptionally high boredom threshold.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I don't really want to get drawn into a discussion on the whys and wherefores, if anyone's interested, here's the background of what I'm looking for - 

https://www.uphillathlete.com/vertical-beast-mode-what-is-muscular-enduranc...

RX-78 29 Oct 2018

The link says "These workouts can be done as continuous Z3 efforts (remember they will feel like Z3 even if the HR is not in Z3) or as long repetitions done Interval style. The length of your hill may require many laps or one single long push to the top."?

nufkin 29 Oct 2018

>  that would not be continuous.

I take your point that continuous would be ideal, but as a general observation for likeminded folk I'm pretty sure House & Johnston would happily endorse repeats of smaller/shorter efforts for training purposes. I'd be surprised if there was a marked difference after the training period between having done singe pushes and the equivalent amount over reduced multiples. And a bit envious, since the biggest height gain to be had around these parts is probably about 50m

As a slight aside, they do remark 'The most common barriers to effective training are motivation and imagination'; it's not entirely clear whether they mean having them or not having them...

In reply to RX-78:

> The link says "These workouts can be done as continuous Z3 efforts (remember they will feel like Z3 even if the HR is not in Z3) or as long repetitions done Interval style...."?

Sure, and 2000 repetitions on a box step would have the same effect, but see what I said above about boredom threshold. The main reason I posted in this forum was to find locations where I can do this training in a single push, as I am more likely to be motivated to do it. Many locations that look suitable on the map may not be, and I suspected that Munroists like Andy might have more relevant first hand knowledge.

Removed User 29 Oct 2018

Ben Nevis from Steall car park?

Ben Starav probably.

Bidean Nam Bian from the road.

DaveHK 29 Oct 2018

I reckon Sgorr nam Fiannaidh from Loch Achtriochtan is pretty much perfect. The best part of 900m ascent in about 1.5K.

I also reckon you're over thinking this and that reps on something smaller would probably have much the same effect!

Post edited at 17:21
 RX-78 29 Oct 2018

Saw that but a hill half the height might be easier to get too and would only need a low set of reps, surely your boredom threshold isn't that low ? You could use different routes up the same hill or two hills nearby?

Siward 29 Oct 2018

Carry water uphill, dump it at the top. It'll save the knees

DaveHK 29 Oct 2018

Having had a wee think about this I think that there are surprisingly few places that will meet your 3 criteria of 950m / 3k / south of A86.

DaveHK 29 Oct 2018

Cruachan from the Pass of Brander does though.

And Ben Lui from the A85 almost does.

Post edited at 17:44
In reply to DaveHK:

> I also reckon you're over thinking this and that reps on something smaller would probably have much the same effect!

Yes, yes, yes I *know* this but I don't *want* to do reps, which is the point of this thread! Otherwise I would have posted in the Training forum.

DaveHK 29 Oct 2018

> Yes, yes, yes I *know* this but I don't *want* to do reps, which is the point of this thread! Otherwise I would have posted in the Training forum.

A thank you for my several suggestions would have been more appropriate...

Post edited at 17:50
In reply to DaveHK:

> A thank you for my several suggestions would have been more appropriate...

I do appreciate it, thanks. This being UKC I should be more tolerant of answers to questions that I didn't actually ask.

Robert Durran 29 Oct 2018

Off the top of my head, probably:

Ben Lui from the north
Sgurr a'Mhaim from Glen Nevis
Ben Starav from the head of Loch Etive
Ben Lawers fro Loch Tay
Up onto the west end of the Aonach Eagach from the Clachaig
Beinn a'Bheithir from Ballachulish (the scrambly spur or the other one to it's left.

In reply to Siward:

> Carry water uphill, dump it at the top. It'll save the knees

That's what I do. I have a 10 litre water bag and a portable luggage scale I use for the purpose.

Mal Grey 29 Oct 2018

My memory of the northern slopes of Glen Shiel suggests you'd find a few options there, as mentioned. All "off piste" stuff, as the trails go to the bealachs or start higher up, so lack the full 950m specified.

Fhuaran is the most obvious, though you've a river to cross first. Sgurr na Ciste Dhuibhe should be just about the height gain if you start around GR 984133, drop to the river, then up the track via the old bridge car park to the 1719 battle site before starting the main ascent NNW-wards.

Carn Mor Dearg is, in my memory, a four-thousand-foot-bl00dy-grassy-slope, but the fact it climbs from the car park then gets flatter for a bit puts it well over the 3km mark.

Ladhar Beinn from the bay of Rubha Mhuineil ought to work, if you can find a viable route that still sneaks under 3km and gets to the summit ridge.

Stob Coire nam Beith from near Loch Atriochtan might also work, again subject to viable route.

I suspect the only fun part might be the looking at maps bit though!

In reply to RX-78:

> Saw that but a hill half the height might be easier to get too and would only need a low set of reps, surely your boredom threshold isn't that low ? 

Well the only time I have time for this training is at the weekend, so I'd rather make the most of it and get out into the hills. If I train during the week then yes, I'll do a couple of reps up Jacob's Ladder. It'll be in the dark anyway...

BobtheBagger 29 Oct 2018

My vote would be for Ben More, near Crianlarich, it's a brute and without checking the map I'm sure it meets your criteria. If you really want a hard workout, you won't be disappointed.

In reply to BobtheBagger:

> My vote would be for Ben More, near Crianlarich, it's a brute and without checking the map I'm sure it meets your criteria...

Yes, I did see that one. It's 1000m in 3km according to the map, and the fact that it's the Southern Highlands appeals.

There's also the Mamores VK route from Kinlochleven to Na Gruagaichean which has the benefit of being an established route.

DaveHK 29 Oct 2018

> There's also the Mamores VK route from Kinlochleven to Na Gruagaichean which has the benefit of being an established route.

I thought about that but it's 5k long.

In reply to DaveHK:

> I thought about that but it's 5k long.

Is it really? I thought it had to be steeper to count as a VK, but then thinking about it, even the Chamonix VK is 3.8.

DaveHK 29 Oct 2018

> Is it really? I thought it had to be steeper to count as a VK, but then thinking about it, even the Chamonix VK is 3.8.

I just took the distance off their website.

GForce1 29 Oct 2018

Aonach Beag from Glen Nevis?

sg 29 Oct 2018

> I do appreciate it, thanks. This being UKC I should be more tolerant of answers to questions that I didn't actually ask.

Interesting thread. Where do you stand on Brexit?

I confess to not having read your original beast mode article but I'd have thought the sub 3K horizontal thing is perhaps a bit contrived in that surely most climbs of the length you're looking for would almost certainly zigzag quite a bit, if they had a path (like Stob Coire mentioned above or, for that matter, quite a few climbs up from Glen Coe). And without a path, wouldn't you probably start to zigzag anyway? So then you'd have to be monitoring your distance / pace as you climb, to ensure you were keeping within the sub 3k criterion and not sneaking lower gradients...

I understand the idea of working different muscles at different gradients but surely the main issue is intensity and I'd have thought you could still achieve much the same outcome over slightly longer distances as long you till have the same vertical gain and maintain your preferred high power output over that distance?

Maybe you'll need to do these runs (like the Shiel up and downs or the Crianlarich / Coe ones suggested) and then post your strava lines to prove you did them in under 3k?!

In reply to sg:

> Maybe you'll need to do these runs (like the Shiel up and downs or the Crianlarich / Coe ones suggested) and then post your strava lines to prove you did them in under 3k?!

Well, it being training there wouldn't be much point in trying to fool myself. Let's just say that the way my legs feel today after climbing Great Gable is sufficient evidence of training overload. For what it's worth, here are my last two climbs, both completed with a 10kg pack. The Gable climb should have been more direct but I went for a bit of a wander at the top.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1905361102

https://www.strava.com/activities/1932738549

Stichtplate 29 Oct 2018

Pen y ole wen straight up from the A5? Might be a bit short height wise but the ascent starts right off the road and what it lacks in altitude, it more than makes up for in loose, nasty awfulness.

In reply to Stichtplate:

> Pen y ole wen straight up from the A5?

See the first Strava link I posted And it's not awful at all, I quite enjoyed it... 

Stichtplate 29 Oct 2018

> See the first Strava link I posted And it's not awful at all, I quite enjoyed it... 

Freak. 

Sticking with Snowdonia... Y Garn and, of course, Tryfan from the A5. From Llanberis side, Crib Goch via the North ridge.

Post edited at 21:23
 andrew ogilvie 29 Oct 2018

Your criteria seem a bit arbitrary, and although they are yours and your quite entitled to them on several of the routes recommended to you you'll find much less steep sections perhaps compromising the "purity" of your training ( e.g. Stob Ban from glen nevis isn't uniformly steep, as I recall) . If you accept that compromise then why not open other areas with uniformly steep but less total ascent ( e.g. Narnain up the pipe track) , Ime from Butterbridge, Challum or Creag Mhor from Lochay, beinn y ghlo from glen tilt ? A reasonably relentless ascent that probably does meet your criteria is probably Ben Eighe from Torridon, Ben Fhada at Kintail, maybe A Glas Bheinn (these far north ),  you might find Stob Coire Albainnach or Meall Nan Eun from Etive hit your targets slightly closer to home, Ben Dorain from Auch glen. Stob Binnein or Tulaichean from Inverlochlarig   though I'm not looking at maps here just improvising.

What's are you training for? A specific event or goal ? Just to see what your limit is? 

In reply to andrew ogilvie:

> Your criteria seem a bit arbitrary, and although they are yours and your quite entitled to them on several of the routes recommended to you you'll find much less steep sections perhaps compromising the "purity" of your training ( e.g. Stob Ban from glen nevis isn't uniformly steep, as I recall) .

Not entirely arbitrary. The gradient is based on sustaining output at the upper aerobic limit, carrying a weight at least what I am required to on my objective. Less steep and I have to move faster, which is difficult given the terrain and the weight.

It's true that there is variation in the steepness of anything outside of the gym, but that would be even more true of intervals which would necessitate also going back to the start of each lap. Some variation is also good for psychological reasons.

> ...Ben Eighe from Torridon, Ben Fhada at Kintail, maybe A Glas Bheinn (these far north ).

Many of these ascents are deceptive. The short way up Beinn Eighe for example is less than 600m of height gained from the valley, though certainly the ascent up the South side of Liathach fits the bill.

> What's are you training for? A specific event or goal ? Just to see what your limit is? 

I am climbing Ama Dablam later this year, the largest single ascent in a day is 1200m, so I am working towards that before I leave. That will be achieved by climbing Ben Nevis from the Glen, or by intervals if weather conditions intervene.

I've now looked at my suggestions on the map and though lots of them are comparable to your Gable ascent they almost uniformly don't meet your criteria, mind you neither does Sgurr nam Fiannaidh from the Clachaig ( though it is almost twice as steep as you need for 900m of ascent) which does make one wonder how achievable those criteria are in this country?
I did find one for you though. Ben Sgritheall , roadside and sea level: 958m ascent in 1.52 km from Rarsaidh: I imagine that should be steep enough...its not exactly handy though.

Just thinking if I were you I might have over specified so that I'd get lots of suggestions I could actually use.

Thanks for your reply, it crossed in the post with my second . Good luck on Ama Dablam. watch you don't break your ankle on your training.

Maybe you should get a flight to Munich, Salzburg or Grenoble ( while you still can) or even out to Marrakech : ,Toubkal doable on a long weekend not steep to the hut but altitude too. If you can tolerate the CO2 impact

Post edited at 22:35
 DaveHK 29 Oct 2018

> Many of these ascents are deceptive. The short way up Beinn Eighe for example is less than 600m of height gained from the valley

Not sure what you're looking at but from Glen Torridon to Spidean a Coire Clach is almost 900m.

Post edited at 22:42
 DaveHK 29 Oct 2018

> I am climbing Ama Dablam later this year, the largest single ascent in a day is 1200m, so I am working towards that before I leave.

In that case I'd suggest that you definitely want to be doing reps but on the big steep 900m plus climbs. Just going up one of them once probably won't be enough. Who was it said 'train hard climb easy'?

Post edited at 22:46
 smeesh 29 Oct 2018
In reply to BobtheBagger:

The NW flank of Ben More from just east of Benmore farm gives you almost exactly 1000m to the top.  We had a few goes at this in my youth, inspired by Messner.  Suitably grim!

In reply to DaveHK:

> In that case I'd suggest that you definitely want to be doing reps but on the big steep 900m plus climbs. Just going up one of them once probably won't be enough. Who was it said 'train hard climb easy'?

Yes it would be good to have as much in hand as possible. I am carrying more weight than I expect to on the actual climb, and will increase this over the next couple of weeks - the altitude is something I can't really train for.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I'll put all these into a spreadsheet and see what sticks out given weather conditions etc over the next couple of weekends.

Cheers,
Andrew.

ClimberEd 30 Oct 2018

I think you are 'over worrying' about this.

You don't need to 'match your goal' in training (the 1200m day in this case.) Just make sure you do high quality training. You could do a 'big weekend' for example - 2*800m vertical. You could do short hard efforts as well as the long ones to mix up the different energy systems and training loads. Are you practicing eating as well, just as important as fitness for long efforts. 

Sure, if you lived in the alps you would have lots of 1200m*3km ascents to have a crack at, but you don't, so you need to be more flexible.

ClimberEd 30 Oct 2018

And having read through the link let me suggest a complementary workout for you.

If you 'like' cycling then on an indoor trainer do 15-20 * 1min on/1 min off (after a warm up) but on LOW cadence - e.g. 50-55. This will achieve that exact balance of muscle burn but low HR that you are after.

J1234 30 Oct 2018

If its training you are after, maybe this could help. On my recent ascent with Beta of Mont Snowdon, I came across an odd looking chap. He was wearing a black respirator face mask on and black plastic Gilet type thing, I honestly thought it was some kind Pony Sex thing.
Now in typical Bedspring fashion I says, "Areeet, what you up to then".

Apparently he was training for Kilimanjaro and the face mask could simulate higher altitudes, ie he could make it seem like he was walking 4000mtrs or whatever, and the Gilet thing was a weight jacket. Maybe this could help with your training?

Gone for good 30 Oct 2018

Good luck on Ama Dablam. It's a beautiful mountain.

wintertree 30 Oct 2018

What you need is downlift.  

I gave this some thought when training up progressively longer ascents before a trip to Morocco.

The solution I had is to build a mountain coaster down the fell side under Dora’s Seat in County Durham besides the ski tows.  Run up, zip down in 30 seconds in a coaster, back up etc.  Very nearly continuous.

Sadly I don’t own the fell side, nor do I have the money for the vast quantities of bribes it’s construction would likely require.

Still, I’d love to see an alpine style mountain coaster somewhere in the UK.

Tringa 30 Oct 2018
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

> I've had a look at the OS Map but it's not always possible to differentiate good candidates where no path is marked - would prefer not to be ascending 1000m of near vertical heather and bog.

> Whats up with thee? 

We must be looking at different OS maps.  There is a path, roughly south east, from Glen Nevis to Stob Ban by the side of Allt Choire a Mhusgain and then west at the col.

True there isn't a complete path from Glen Nevis to Sgurr a Mhaim but you can use the Stob Ban path for a while then just strike uphill wherever it looks good. I can't remember the line I took many years ago. Its steep but fine. Given what you've done and your horizontal and vertical criteria I don't think you'd have any problems.

Dave

In reply to ClimberEd:

> If you 'like' cycling then on an indoor trainer do 15-20 * 1min on/1 min off (after a warm up) but on LOW cadence - e.g. 50-55. This will achieve that exact balance of muscle burn but low HR that you are after.

Sorry, but no. For one thing, if I enjoyed training indoors I wouldn't have started the thread. Secondly, cycling is suboptimal training for alpinism as you are not required to carry your own weight, let alone the additional weight of a pack.

Thanks for the advice, though.

ClimberEd 30 Oct 2018

Sorry - but yes. You're wrong. The low cadence high force workout is very effective at building leg and core stability muscular endurance.  This was one of my main training sessions for ski touring expedition and it worked brilliantly. 

In reply to ClimberEd:

> Sorry - but yes. You're wrong. The low cadence high force workout is very effective at building leg and core stability muscular endurance.  This was one of my main training sessions for ski touring expedition and it worked brilliantly. 

I'm glad that worked out for you, but I don't really see why I should train indoors on a bike when I have the option of climbing a steep hill with a pack, something that is much more specific to my end goal.

I am not an expert in training theory, so have to use the sources available to me. I can take your word for it that indoor cycling intervals are effective training for climbing 6000m Peaks with a pack, or I can take the advice from Steve House and Scott Johnson:

"As an alpinist seeking to improve your endurance you should give priority to weight-bearing exercise. This means running or hiking, especially uphill, which will be more specific training than swimming. Cycling is also a great general exercise. However, bikes are very efficient modes of transportation and this makes them less effective training tools from the time versus benefit standpoint. The sitting position on the bike means that you do not have to support your full body weight, which greatly reduces the energy cost of the exercise and the muscle mass used to propel yourself. Being strapped to a machine limits the range of motion, the coordination, balance, and variability of the footing required while climbing."

So sure, in the absence of alternatives something is better than nothing, but inddor cycling is pretty low on the list for me.

ClimberEd 30 Oct 2018

I'm simply showing you another way you can increase your training load, which is what your OP was actually about.

FWIW I would do shorter intense sessions in the week, and longer (by definition less intense) sessions at the weekend - your outdoor hill stuff

lone 30 Oct 2018

What if you were to find a steep-ish climb of say 600m-700m which had a lot of bad ground on it, I say 'steep-ish' because water drainage on the slope would be slower so perhaps tussocky ground with lots of Molinia grass would be found there, that would push the physical excursion up a notch ! The Carneddau and the Brecon Beacons are good for this, and I'm sure many other mountain ranges would be too. In fact a lot of Mid Wales is excellent for this type of ground.

I was over on the Llangattock Moors recently in South Wales, on flat ground, and the Molinia was waist deep there and after 200m I was really feeling that my energy was being sapped.

Just in case you were curious the GR and the surrounding area is SO 178 148

I guess you'd need to figure out whether you felt more shattered at the top of a tussocky climb/traverse than if the ground was more cleaner and straight forward ? Following stream courses would be ideal too, especially on the flanks of the stream where the ground is ideal for tussocks to grow. It would though increase the possibility of injury, but I've always found if I take my time its usually OK.

Just a wild thought but it could have some mileage.

Jason 

wbo 30 Oct 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:I would very much consider breaking down your 1000m or so into 3 pieces and trying to up the pace/load a bit.  The problem of doing a 1000 in one lump (apart from finding them) is that you will inevitably be conservative on pace /effort.  By turning it to intervals you avoid this.  

The disadvantage of doing this outdoors is the restbetween efforts will likely be a bit long but that's how it is

Tringa 30 Oct 2018

> Not entirely arbitrary. The gradient is based on sustaining output at the upper aerobic limit, carrying a weight at least what I am required to on my objective. Less steep and I have to move faster, which is difficult given the terrain and the weight.

> It's true that there is variation in the steepness of anything outside of the gym, but that would be even more true of intervals which would necessitate also going back to the start of each lap. Some variation is also good for psychological reasons.

> Many of these ascents are deceptive. The short way up Beinn Eighe for example is less than 600m of height gained from the valley, though certainly the ascent up the South side of Liathach fits the bill.

> I am climbing Ama Dablam later this year, the largest single ascent in a day is 1200m, so I am working towards that before I leave. That will be achieved by climbing Ben Nevis from the Glen, or by intervals if weather conditions intervene.

Which ascent of Beinn Eighe are you looking at?

The path that starts on the north side of Glen Torridon, opposite Loch Bharranch is, I reckon, at about 105m. The trig point on the ridge is at 972m, giving an ascent of 867m, going to the top - Spidean Coire nan Clach  - a very short distance further gives an ascent of 888m.

Dave

Post edited at 14:43
 IainL 30 Oct 2018

Can you commute on a bike? I did 1 hour each way for years on a fixed wheel and could do the Arrochar Alps hill race easily. You should be able to do 12000 ft in a day fairly easily, as we used to do Mt Rainier lunch time Sat to lunch time Sun with out too much trouble.

Removed User 30 Oct 2018

Andrew I don't know if this is of use to you but two friends of mine who skied across Greenland last year trained for it by going for long fast walks around forestry tracks dragging a couple tyres behind them. Obviously specific to dragging a pulk but perhaps it would help build up the kind of strength you are trying to acquire. Also has the advantage that you don't need a big (in a UK context) mountain close at hand. Just a thought. S

IainL 31 Oct 2018

Ben More at Crianlarich is the option with the least hassle. You could get the sleeper to Crianlarich and do 2 or 3 (or 4) laps and get the train back. It is just on a vert kilometre with no real track. You should be aiming at 1 hour up and 30 min down, so allow 2 hours per lap. Or continue over Stob Binnein to Inverlochlarig and back. For a hard weekend, stop at Arrochar and do all the hills there as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...