Staoineag bothy Loch Treig

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ogreville 16 Oct 2019

Hi all. Heading out to Staoineag bothy and was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of access via the southern banks of Abhainn Rath river. It looks like it could be boggy and pathless. 

I know the bothy is normally accessible by crossing the bridge and following the northern bank path, then using the stepping stones but I dont think this is an option with the amount of rainfall recently.

any pointers much appreciated. 

Jim Walton 17 Oct 2019
In reply to ogreville:

There are stepping stones but when I was up there last February they were submerged by ~500mm of water.  The Bothy is in an amazing position.  We were not staying there as we headed up to Meanach Bothy further up the valley.

petestack 17 Oct 2019
In reply to ogreville:

There are paths on both sides of the river, but the one to the north is better and more continuous. If I was heading for Staoineag, I'd still take the south side.

Flinticus 21 Oct 2019
In reply to ogreville:

Those stepping stones...never seen them not submerged!

DaveHK 21 Oct 2019
In reply to ogreville:

The path on the South side is a bit boggy and indistinct but not dreadful. I was in Staoneag last January and thought it was looking a bit hard used. Very little furniture and a lot of graffiti on the walls. I wouldn't rush back tbh. 

Dr.S at work 21 Oct 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Really? That’s a shame - the first Bothy I stayed at and I’ve some great memories of the place. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...