Slioch NW ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AJK87 09 Aug 2020

Has anybody scrambeld the Northwest ridge of Slioch?

I've come across a couple of you tube videos of a pair doing it and it looks really nice.

I can't find any 'official' descriptions of it online and it doesn't seem to be a very well documented route.

I'd like a bit of a route description to help with route finding.

Does anybody know of any descriptions of this route?

Cheers

JimbotheScot 09 Aug 2020
In reply to AJK87:

Did it last week, nae much visibility when we did it and wet, there's a few different options on the way up to get you onto the ridge walk be better in the dry, we went up a gully, so many ferns on the walk in, head height too

Removed User 09 Aug 2020
In reply to JimbotheScot:

It looks like a tight trek to get there. How long did it take you to get to the base of the ridge?

Mal Grey 09 Aug 2020
In reply to AJK87:

I bet these are the two videos you've already seen, but in the "trip report" there is a map with a gpx track (bottom left of map) I think, that may help@ https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68116

It looks great.

JimbotheScot 09 Aug 2020
In reply to Removed User:

3 hrs to the base but the waterfall was a balllache to get over as had been raining and was like niagra falls, took a good 20 mins. we used the WH gpx as a bit of a guide but the way is clear to go straight on instead of right for the normal route after the deadly bridge with missing planks

Post edited at 21:53
 31770 10 Aug 2020
In reply to AJK87:

Hi,

The route is in the SMC Highland Scarmbles North - it is mostly obvious though and as said elsewhere you can make it as exciting as you like. The hardest section was the start though this could have been avoided by steep heathery gullies. 

When I did it we used a canoe to get across loch Maree. Definitely makes it a fun day out though logistically a little harder to organise. I don't think it would save as much time as you might think as well. 

Highly recommend the route and if you're looking for a local instructor to take you up give me a shout. 

​​Ollie

OP AJK87 10 Aug 2020
In reply to 31770:

Thanks for the info. I've just ordered the scrambles North book.

From what you've said I'd probably be able to route find without it, but the book will be useful for other days out anyway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...