Skye map choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 21 May 2017
I'm heading up to Skye next weekend for a weeks' backpacking. I've been advised to take Explorer maps, as these are better suited to the terrain (or something...) On many previous trips to Scotland I've always been fine with Landranger maps, but there do seem to be many paths that are shown on the Explorer sheets but not the Landranger ones - e.g. the path from Coruisk to Glenbrittle via Bealach Coire na Banachdich. Its over ten years since I was last on Skye, so I'm wondering what people who might have spent more time there think. Any thoughts?

atrendall 21 May 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:
Harvey's Map XT25 for the Cuillin. Very detailed and can't be beaten.
 Y Gribin 21 May 2017
Neither. Go with Harvey's. Their style suits Skye in particular:
http://www.harveymaps.co.uk/acatalog/Skye--The-Cuillin-YHSWSK.html#SID=5
Post edited at 20:30
Removed User 21 May 2017

Harveys' Cuillin map plus the SMC scrambling guide to Skye should see you right.
 Jamie B 21 May 2017

OS maps are utterly useless in the Cuillin, apart from getting yourself to and from the hill. Harvey's are better, but the reality of much of the routefinding is that a guidebook (or guide) is much more useful.
OP Andy Johnson 21 May 2017
In reply to atrendall:

Thanks. I've ordered a copy.

The second part of the week will be up in Duirinish. Harveys don't seem to have any mapping of that area, so it looks like I'll take the Explorer map for that.

BusyLizzie 21 May 2017

I am going to be there for a few days in June, and have bought Harvey's map for the Cuillin and was planning to download the relevant OS maps on my phone for the rest of the island.
 Mal Grey 21 May 2017
In reply to Jamie B:

"OS maps are utterly useless in the Cuillin,"

I once said something similar whilst sat on the summit of Sgurr Alasdair.....only for the woman sat nearby to declare "oi, I drew that map!!" Awkward...

...but led to an interesting conversation about the SMC map (do they still do that?), an insight into OS map drawing (in the late 80s), and a reminder that I've always suspected that I would have been very happy with a career as a cartographer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...