Route Card Queries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottTalbot 09 Aug 2019

I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move it if this is the wrong place..

Is there a way to save Route Cards to some sort of to-do list? Or is this something worth thinking about, if not..?

What's the best way to use the Route Cards on the hill? I've rarely got any sort of mobile reception in the hills, so wondered if there was some way to use this feature offline?

I'm probably missing something really obvious, so apologies in advance, if I'm being a bit thick!

Cheers

Scott 

tehmarks 09 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> What's the best way to use the Route Cards on the hill?

Write down the details in a waterproof notebook and keep it in your pocket with your compass? With the added advantage that it'll still be available long after your phone battery dies, and can be written on in the driving rain when your touchscreen will flat out refuse to work.

OP ScottTalbot 09 Aug 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

That just seems so 20th century!? Haha! I'm sure you're probably right though.

Cheers 👍

Mick r 09 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

if I'm worried about reception, I usually take a series of screenshots of a route, so I can just refer to the photos in my gallery.  have spare charger for my battery, but cant do anything about rain

Mick 

Toerag 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Mick r:

>  have spare charger for my battery, but cant do anything about rain

Rain & drizzle are a nightmare for touchscreens, I'd always want a hard copy.

Tringa 10 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I might be missing something but I've never used a route card on the hill.

Pre smartphone, I used a a map and compass(if necessary) and now with a smartphone I use the map, compass and the 'OS Locate' app on my phone. It uses GPS to give you your 6 figure grid reference so no mobile reception is needed.

Although it is not a route card I do leave someone info about where I am going.

Dave

OP ScottTalbot 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Tringa:

It's more for following pre-defined routes, that someone else has put up, which I like the look of.

It's certainly not necessary, and is no substitute for a map and compass either.

mcdougal 10 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

If you've got a laminated map you could also mark your route with a permanent marker and clean it with meths afterward.

Dave the Rave 10 Aug 2019
In reply to Tringa:

Beware reliance on OS locate in some parts of Scotland, it’s failed on me in some parts. Fortunately I knew where I was anyway

tehmarks 10 Aug 2019
In reply to mcdougal:

But don't be tempted to think 'Harvey maps are plastic' and try the same with them. Alcohol will erase the print as well as the pen, and chinagraph pencil won't wipe off without solvent either.

Don't ask me how I know these things...

Tringa 11 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> It's more for following pre-defined routes, that someone else has put up, which I like the look of.

> It's certainly not necessary, and is no substitute for a map and compass either.

Ah, see what you mean.

Dave

OP ScottTalbot 12 Aug 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Oops! 😁

I was only introduced to the Harvey's maps this year.. I knew they existed, but didn't know they came in a 1:25000, but blown up twice the size!? I could read it without glasses! I've been meaning to look into whether, or not, that Ordinance Survey do the same... Great idea! Even if they do cover much smaller areas.

tehmarks 12 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Thr 1:40k maps are, in my humble opinion, the perfect map for navigation in the mountains. That they are also both waterproof and compact is a huge bonus. Map case - what's a map case!?

OP ScottTalbot 12 Aug 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I've always used 1:25k. Much more info, but can be a bit of a faff at times..

As for Map Cases... I just don't get them!? They couldn't be any less practical!?!

tehmarks 12 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Their 1:25k maps don't have the shading which (I think) makes the 1:40k series so brilliant. I quite like the 1:40k scale because it's not very often I've thought the loss of detail was a problem to navigation - in the mountains it's quite likely I'll be navigating by features which are large enough to still appear and be obvious on the 1:40k scale map, and they often include larger-scale inserts of summit areas for significant summits with complex navigation (like the Ben).

On blank and featureless moorland I can definitely see the argument for 1:25k though.

OP ScottTalbot 13 Aug 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Interesting insights. I may have to take another look. I remember using a 1:40k years ago and it seemed completely alien to me, as I'd only used 1:25k before...

It's very easy to get wet in our little routines, isn't it..? 😁

OP ScottTalbot 13 Aug 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> Interesting insights. I may have to take another look. I remember using a 1:40k years ago and it seemed completely alien to me, as I'd only used 1:25k before...

> It's very easy to get wet in our little routines, isn't it..? 😁

*set 🙄😁

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...