Red Cuillin, Skye - could you bike it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 03 May 2017

Possibly one for the biking forum, but I guess I'm more after some info as to what the general ground conditions/paths are like along the Red Cuillin - are we talking knee deep heather or short grass and rocky ground when you start getting off the paths? Any advice much appreciated

And while we're at it, what about the Trotternish ridgeline as well??
Post edited at 18:08
 Nathan Adam 03 May 2017
In reply to peebles boy:

Red Cuillin would be alright once off the actual heather as they are quite rocky, but you'd have a lot of uphill pushing between the downs as they are pretty steep and unrelenting in places. The paths are okay from my memory.

Trotternish would be a far better bike in my opinion and have a mate that has done parts of it before. Still a few tough up hills but generally much more flow than the Red Cuillin.

Some of the descents out of the Cuillin Coires are also meant to be fantastic riding. And Glen Sligachan is one of the best days I've had on a bike in terms of surroundings, it's not all that technical bar a load of water bars but can't fault it for location. We stopped just before Blaven and came back the same way to avoid the big climb out from Camasunary and then the long ride round the road.
 BnB 03 May 2017
In reply to peebles boy:

When you going? I was maybe thinking of taking my new bike to Skye around the end of May.

Red Cuillin would be good in parts but some of it is too tough to walk let alone cycle. I swear the main ridge is easier going in many places.

As Nathan says, Trotternish looks made for cycling with its close cropped turf.
OP peebles boy 03 May 2017
In reply to Nath93:

Cheers for that - don't mind a bit of hike a bike if it gives rewards.
I had the same idea about the Sligachan loop, lot of road for what could be an out and back instead! Was looking at some of the main Cuillin access paths...could be an adventurous week on Skye to be had at some point!!
llechwedd 05 May 2017
In reply to peebles boy:

Planning on getting off the paths on a bike at this time of year?
Have a thought for the ground nesting birds please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...