Raad ny Foillan (Isle of Man Coastal Path)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 17 Feb 2020

Hi,
I have never done a long distance walk, and have only been to the Isle of Man for the TT, so not really seen it, so thinking combining the two could be fun.
Anyone done it? Is it an enjoyable walk? Would it be a reasonable option for a first long distance walk?

I am thinking of giving myself a week to do it in.

Cheers Steve

Lankyman 17 Feb 2020
In reply to J1234:

I haven't been since a small child. There is a Cicerone guidebook for the path (Aileen & Brian Evans) which I have. Keep meaning to get over there, especially as I often see the boats coming and going out of Heysham port.

J1234 17 Feb 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Cheers, hope you are well, not seen you for ages.

Tom Valentine 17 Feb 2020
In reply to J1234:

Do you get the chance to intrude on Clarkson's privacy?

Lankyman 19 Feb 2020
In reply to J1234:

Yes, Steve - still alive and kicking. Despite technically being a 'pensioner' now, still not retired to my luxury Caribbean home .....

jkarran 19 Feb 2020
In reply to J1234:

> I have never done a long distance walk, and have only been to the Isle of Man for the TT, so not really seen it, so thinking combining the two could be fun.

2/3 of it is pretty rugged rocky coastline, the path is pretty hilly and the views spectacular. The northern portion is pretty flat but there are dunes.

> Anyone done it? Is it an enjoyable walk? Would it be a reasonable option for a first long distance walk?

Never done it all, but plenty of bits to access climbing and beaches.

> I am thinking of giving myself a week to do it in.

It's ~100miles with fairly evenly dotted towns and villages where you could camp or B&B, alternatively many of the beaches are very secluded. Seems reasonable. The Peel to Port Erin leg is probably the biggest fairly wild chunk mostly because it's so rugged. White Strand part way between them is a lovely beach with no road access for a wild camp break. The NW stretch from Kirk Micheal to the Point of Ayre and Andreas is a long-ish leg too but basically flat

jk

Post edited at 14:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...