Practicing winter skills on Pendle Hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MikeMarcus 31 Jan 2019

I was thinking about going up Pendle Hill this weekend to practice self-arrests and the like. I’ve never been there before, can anyone recommend an area which may be suitable for sliding around on a steep slope? 

Bulls Crack 01 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeMarcus:

It rather depends on which bit have the best snow!

Rigid Raider 01 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeMarcus:

You'll need to find somewhere the snow has thawed a little then re-frozen in order to get any speed up. And sit on a sheet of polyethylene to get a really dangerous slide going!  In the kind of snow that's lying on the thick grass around the Nick for example you will just sit giggling and going nowhere.

quirky 01 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Blackburn Golf course is not too far away, currently the 9th hole offers some prime real estate for very high speed ice axe arrests!

Rigid Raider 01 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeMarcus:

If you're going there, try Whalley Nab or Hollowhead Lane, if either is icy with car-compressed snow you'll get a good speed up though as the pick penetrates the ice to the tarmac it might be blunted, or worse, snatched out of your hands. But your injuries will earn you some notoriety in the office next Monday.

Post edited at 14:05
MikeMarcus 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> You'll need to find somewhere the snow has thawed a little then re-frozen in order to get any speed up. And sit on a sheet of polyethylene to get a really dangerous slide going!  In the kind of snow that's lying on the thick grass around the Nick for example you will just sit giggling and going nowhere.

Giggling sounds good.

However I left it until Sunday and missed the snow

dh73 05 Feb 2019
In reply to MikeMarcus:

North side clearly best. try Mearley clough. the clough also has a long stream with a number of steps up to 10 ft or so high which I hope will freeze one day and provide some (very low level) ice climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...