Personnel planning in UK Mountain Rescue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RohanGoel89 04 Dec 2012
Hi

We are two medical students from the University of Leeds working with the Mountain Rescue Service on a project looking at personnel planning within Mountain Rescue Teams. We wanted to get your views as members of the public who are active in the outdoors and have a potential to/or may have used the service.

We have devised a 10 minute online survey which aims to get your views on the subject. The survey can be found at:

https://www.survey.leeds.ac.uk/outdoorpublicmountainrescue

We would appreciate if you could respond as quickly as possible and ideally before the 23rd December.

Yours faithfully

Rohan Goel & Tom Nichols

Posted with permission of UKClimbing
 mrchewy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: Tried to but there is no question 10a and it wanted me to fill it in. Sorry.
 jonny taylor 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:
There are a number of MRT members who read and post on these forums. You should probably either modify some of the questions or make it clear that you do not want them to respond...
 coinneach 04 Dec 2012
In reply to mrchewy:
> (In reply to RohanGoel89) Tried to but there is no question 10a and it wanted me to fill it in. Sorry.

Same

RohanGoel89 04 Dec 2012
In reply to mrchewy:
Sorry about that. We have corrected the error the link as of 04/12/12 at 21:32 is now working correctly. If you replied to this survey before the correction you can apply again and it will not effect the results. Sorry once again.
 Dauphin 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:

Done.

10a put n/a in the box if you don't want to give a reason?

D
 Skip 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:
survey not found
RohanGoel89 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:
OK sorry about all the teething problems. Thank you for the feedback. We have fixed the survey and have made the changes suggested. The original link will still work and is correct as of 04/12/12 at 21:40.
 Brass Nipples 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:

Done
 toad 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: done. Nice survey design
 bluebealach 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: Done.
 mrchewy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: Done - works fine now.
 MtnGeekUK 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89

Done
 don macb 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:

done...
nedmoran 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: Done
 KellyKettle 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: Done.

Just to be clear, you ask if MR is voluntary or Goverment provided; as far as I'm aware, the police and/or MRT can request RAF MR assets to support rescue operations in the same way they can call for Helicopter support; if they're available they come out as a training exercise.

So to give a full answer its kinda both, but the volunteers are the backbone of MR provision
 Pete Ford 04 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:

All filled in.

Pete
 Martin W 05 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: Can we have a "no idea" option for some of the questions? I've no idea how I am supposed to have any opinion on whether the MRTs have enough people or not. The question does say "Do you think...?" I thought, and I just don't know!
 peas65 05 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:

Done, but just wondering what asking the public about personnel planning in MR will do to help. Surely as the public they have no experience in running MR teams and therefore any answers are just conjecture/hearsay?

Would it not make more sense to ask about experiences with MR from a public perspective? I know there are a couple of questions but the rest doesnt really make sense for the aim.

Not trying to be critical, just constructive
 Wainers44 06 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: All done!
 muppetfilter 06 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: South Yorkshire, west Yorkshire but no North Yorkshire.
RohanGoel89 10 Dec 2012
Thanks for all the feedback. We've had some very interesting thoughts and ideas so please keep them coming.

Thanks
RohanGoel89 16 Dec 2012
Just 1 week left for this survey. We've had some excellent feedback so if you haven't already contributed and would like to please use the link below. It only takes 5-10 minutes. Thank you.

We are two medical students from the University of Leeds working with the Mountain Rescue Service on a project looking at personnel planning within Mountain Rescue Teams. We wanted to get your views as members of the public who are active in the outdoors and have a potential to/or may have used the service.

We have devised a 10 minute online survey which aims to get your views on the subject. The survey can be found at:

https://www.survey.leeds.ac.uk/outdoorpublicmountainrescue
James Jackson 16 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:

My county doesn't exist - North Somerset.
RohanGoel89 22 Dec 2012
LAST 24 HOURS. Thanks all for your feedback and responses but if you would like to contribute and haven't done so yet we are into the surveys last 24 hours. Thank you.
 Andes 22 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:
Done the survey, one of the better ones I've seen on here, though it didn't quite cover the cases of people who are currently in a MRT or people who have formerly been in an MRT.
RohanGoel89 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Andes:
Thank you. We have sent a separate survey to current MR members and teams to get their views and perspectives.
 Kimberley 22 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:

You have failed to acknowledge the different funding regimes which exist by framing your questions in a UK context.

Scotland benefits from Scottish Government support which I understand is not the case in the rest of the UK.

feel free to contact me for more info.
 Busby 23 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89:

Done, not a bad survey, I would add some additional choices for the Funding section, i.e. If fees were paid to a Not For Profit Organsisation which would re-invest all monies into the service rather than whichever Tory crony bar-steward that had greased the right palm to get the contract...
RohanGoel89 23 Dec 2012
Thanks all for the feedback. Last few hours!
 control freak 23 Dec 2012
In reply to RohanGoel89: I tried to respond but no North Yorkshire listed so I can't get past the first question!
 Jim Fraser 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Kimberley:
> (In reply to RohanGoel89)
>
> Scotland benefits from Scottish Government support which I understand is not the case in the rest of the UK.

It's more complicated than that. The Justice Department of the Scottish Government provides a grant to mountain rescue that is distributed through the MRCofS. It is a minority portion of mountain rescue funding in Scotland. Because of this centralised funding, other local government assistance or funding has stopped for some teams.

Recently, all UK mountain rescue has received a small grant from the UK government. This has been distributed through national representative and co-ordinating bodies on the basis of how many teams they represent. Clearly, £200,000.00 split 75 ways doesn't make a huge dent but it is up to the teams in those jurisdictions to collaborate to lever the greatest lasting benefit from it.

The single most important factor in raising money for mountain rescue is population. A history of a large number of rescues is also important and certainly turning out to have rescued someone with deep pockets can be helpful. If a mountain rescue team operates in an area containing one or more iconic mountains and a well-developed tourist town of several thousand people then it will probably be able to raise reasonable levels of funding even without reaching outside its home area.

However, some mountain rescue teams in the UK operate in areas where a big town is one with 500 people in it and major population centres are over 200 road miles away. Teams may cover areas of thousands of kilometres squared of wild and mountainous country. In those same areas, a significant proportion of the mountain vistors may be from population centres as much as 500 road miles away and several dozen other mountain rescue teams exist across that intervening distance.

If you live in a city with many active hill-users, and possibly associated clubs and societies, please think about what you can do to help teams who have no way of activating good sources of funding because the landscape that makes their district so iconic and well-loved stands between them and a respectable income.

===============================

The same population factor that affects fund-raising affects recruitment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...