Path closure on Ingleborough (for repitching)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 01 Jul 2020

The YDNP have just published a closure notice due to repitching works on the path up Ingleborough.  It's on the route up from the Hill Inn (Chapel le Dale) on the steep section beyond Humphrey Bottom before you reach the ridge near Green Hill and turn right to ascend Ingleborough.    This path is popular with Three Peaks walkers, amongst others. 

Full details can be found here:

Footpath No. 59 (part), Ingleton Order 2020 No.5 – Dated: 27 July, 2020 until 25 January, 2021

https://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/things-to-do/get-outdoors/where-can-i-go/...

Here's a streetmap link showing the approx location: http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=374775&Y=474970&A=Y&Z=115

Simon Caldwell 02 Jul 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Seems a bit strange - it's on access land so presumably we can just take a parallel line to the path at the point the work is going on. I guess it's for the benefit of those who won';t go anywhere without a marked path.

toad 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

It's probably more about the legality of closing a RoW, 

mrphilipoldham 02 Jul 2020
In reply to toad:

Yes there are still RoWs across access land, which are accessible even when the land is closed (which it can be for up to 28 days a year except Sundays). Closure of them does indeed need to be done properly, but as above.. easy and legal enough to just walk around it!

Lankyman 02 Jul 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> . easy and legal enough to just walk around it!

Legal, yes but is it desirable or sensible given the reasons why the path there was reconstructed in the first place? Did you ever see the track before the first attempt at fixing it in the eighties? It was an absolute mess. Just walking a parallel line to one side will start the erosion problem all over again.

mrphilipoldham 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

6 months worth of traffic over Winter, which is going to happen regardless of my comment, is not going to have the same effect as decades/centuries though is it? Not only that but I bet roughly half of people will go one side, and half the other  

Bacon Butty 02 Jul 2020

To avoid this, head for New Close/Colt Park and leg it up NE ridge of Park Fell.
Makes for an interesting variation.

Tom Walkington 02 Jul 2020

It needs to be redone (the perched blocks were ideal for an ankle injury,especially if wet).The last time I went there I went well left of the path.

Lankyman 03 Jul 2020
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

Just before lockdown I watched a helicopter lifting stone slabs onto the summit. Quite spectacular watching it power up from near Ribblehead and then dive back down into the comb where the Hill Inn path comes up. Workmen told me they were rebuilding the summit shelter and restoring the view plaque on top of it. That day there was hard snow on the path so I dropped off Simon Fell down to Middle Washfold Cave.

Update:

https://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/18594359.three-peaks-route-ingleborough...

Extracts:

• "A PUBLIC footpath leading to the summit of Ingleborough and used by thousands of Yorkshire Three Peaks walkers is to close for up to six months from next week for essential repairs."
  • "The path is due to close on Monday, July 27 until January 25. Work is however expected to be completed by the end of October, so the path could reopen ahead of time."
  • "The High Lot section of path to be repaired is very narrow and there isn’t room for the contractors to work safely with walkers passing by. I would ask that people walking the Yorkshire Three Peaks look up the alternative route to the summit"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...