Packing your tent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Belle74 14 Sep 2021

Compressing a tent for a five nights trek, good or bad idea?

Personally I don't see a problem as long as my tent is stored dry, clean and stored in its original sac. Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks. 

In reply to Belle74:

> Compressing a tent for a five nights trek, good or bad idea?

> Personally I don't see a problem as long as my tent is stored dry, clean and stored in its original sac. Any comments would be welcome.

> Thanks. 

None that I could see. 

All my tents are stored compressed into the storage bag.

Never had any issues.  

PS : make sure its dry.

Andy Chubb 14 Sep 2021
In reply to Belle74:

Assuming you're sleeping in the tent for the 5 night trek, it's going to be hard to ensure it's dry each time you pack it. At the very least there will be condensation on the inside and quite possibly rain on the outside. However I don't see compressing it as being a problem, wet or dry. Better to stuff it into a sac than fold it along the same creases each time you pack up - that can lead to weaknesses in the folds over time. If you get a nice sunny day, then stop and lay the tent out and let it dry off.

In reply to Belle74:

It's hard enough trekking for five days with camping gear without the tent being larger pack size than necessary.  So compress it for sure.    

jeffzeller 15 Sep 2021
In reply to Belle74:

I stuff my tent directly into a bag that is lined into my 48L backpack and strap poles onto the side. When I get home I hang it up and air it out for a few days then fold and and store properly. My MSR Hubba Hubba is now more than 10 years old and has shown little signs of wear and tear. I will note that I have used a ground sheet with the tent from the start.

OP Belle74 15 Sep 2021

Thanks for the wise words everyone. I've decided to use a compression sac for my tent for the 5 nights which gives me plenty more space in my pack for nice things. I'll also pack the poles on the outside. No need for them to stay dry and take up room.

I never fold, always stuff.  Once home I'll pitch up in garden or the garage if the weather's bad then store in original sac until next time.

Again, thanks for the good comments,

Belle.

Neil Williams 15 Sep 2021
In reply to Belle74:

Some tents, e.g. the Vango Banshees, are supplied in a compression sac.

Flinticus 16 Sep 2021
In reply to Belle74:

Related topic but store at home loose?

I've always stored packed but changed over this year to stuffing into a medium laundry basket. Better to air and allow any moisture to evaporate.

Dr.S at work 16 Sep 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I think as long as properly dried can store in the supplied bag rather than loose - it’s what we’ve always done including cotton tents

Jon Read 16 Sep 2021
In reply to Belle74:

I'd advise packing the poles inside the rucksack if possible -- one stumble or brush with a boulder and they could bend or worse. You could protect them (on the outside) with a foam mat if you are using one.

OP Belle74 16 Sep 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

This... my plan was to tuck them behind my roll matt but will try to get them wrapped up in it as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...