Online OS maps, Ireland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 03 Apr 2019

Hi Folks,

I subscribe to the OS website and find it very useful to view and print my own OS maps.  (Well worth the £20 odd quid a year subscription.)

Can anyone suggest the best/cheapest way to get similar access to OS maps for Ireland (both North and South of the border)?  Ideally something I can use on both my phone (Android) and laptop (Linux - but I could, reluctantly, boot up into Windows instead).

I've had a bit of a google, but all seems a bit confusing.  Viewranger might work, but it seems the whole RoI will set me back a hundred quid and another 50 for Norn Iron.  Bit more than I really want to spend ideally.  Any other options?

RX-78 03 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

A quick Google shows viewranger offers OS maps by county, so no need to buy all of Ireland and also self selecting map. Both in viewranger shop.

OP deepsoup 03 Apr 2019
In reply to RX-78:

I noticed that, ta.  Still seems quite pricey though.  More so if you think about the price per square meter - one county at a time you only have to have a few before it seems daft not stumping up a bit more for the whole country.

I haven't had a play with the self-selecting thing.  (It seems I'd have to download and run a Windows-only app, so even just having a look at it is a bit of a faff.)  Is the shape completely arbitrary?  Could you select a big strip of coastline for example?

At the moment my plans are incredibly vague, and ideally I'd like to spend a bit of time poring over maps to narrow it down a bit.  (The way my 20 quid subscription to the OS allows me to do throughout GB and the IoM - and even without, I could always get a look at the maps via Bing and various other websites.)

Can anyone suggest any other options besides Viewranger?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...