"normal" swiss winter hiking equipment??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Inhambane 23 Nov 2018

Hello I'm researching easy walks in Switzerland to do over New year.  One of them I've found calls for "normal" winter hiking equipment but is low in difficulty.  What is normal in Switzerland? 

Also if anyone has any links to good online resources it would be most welcome

Post edited at 10:31
 Toerag 23 Nov 2018
In reply to Inhambane:

If I were winter walking in the Alps I'd be thinking snowshoes, snowshoes, and walking poles.  Even at low altitude (900m) you could be looking at thigh-deep snow at new year. Without snowshoes & poles this is essentially impossible to deal with, with them it's a delight.

Aside from that, you need to have an attitude of self-sufficiency. There will be plenty of people by ski infrastructure, but walk along a path for 10 minutes and you're on your own - once the mountain huts close the mountains really empty out. You will potentially see skitourers if there's somewhere for them to ski down on the route, but walking paths without off-piste skiing, winter mountaineering peaks or open huts will be empty. So, I'm in hiking boots and carry /wear snowshoes - they all have crampons built in so you shouldn't have trouble with ice unless you're on steep scrambly ground above the treeline where the size of the snowshoes becomes a pain. Clothing is no different to UK walking, but definitely take a warm jumper/fleece/duvet jacket to wear when you stop. Full waterproofs.Hat and shelled warm gloves - wooly gloves are no good when they get wet with snow.  Simple First aid kit. Phone / GPS - many paths above the treeline rely on painted waymarks which can be obscured by snow. It's not necessarily a problem to follow your nose, but get a whiteout and you'll find the backup of GPS useful for avoiding epics. Flask of hot drink is useful to give you a warm mug to thaw your fingers out on, as is a decent amount of food. Leave a routeplan and estimated finish time with someone so they can initiate a rescue when you don't make contact at the end of the day. 

I've taken up snowshoeing in the Bavarian alps as I have relatives near there and I love it - there's many nice day routes around the top of the treeline so you get the 'winter wonderland' amongst the trees then the views from the tops without the worry of avalanche risk or other mountain problems. I like to find somewhere with a hut and lift at the end of the route - I can enjoy a beer and good hut food then avoid the downhill slog to the valley with the lift or better still, rent a toboggan and slide down.

Post edited at 12:12
 Dark-Cloud 23 Nov 2018
In reply to Inhambane:

What location in Switzerland, what is the route ?

Some ski resorts maintain walking routes that use summer mountain paths but they tend to be fairy low level and as above snow shoes would be required, even if its hard packed its hard work.

Billhook 23 Nov 2018
In reply to Inhambane:

Snowshoes?  You could try x-country skis.

kaiser 23 Nov 2018
In reply to Inhambane:

an umbrella might be wise these days...

OP Inhambane 24 Nov 2018
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks for all  the info 

OP Inhambane 25 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

this was the site that sparked the question 

https://www.outdooractive.com/mobile/en/winter-hiking/bernese-oberland/pano...

McHeath 25 Nov 2018
In reply to Inhambane:

It's a prepared track in winter, should be a doddle with normal warm walking gear.

Toerag 26 Nov 2018
In reply to Inhambane:

That looks similar in altitude to a lot of what I've done albeit a lot more suburban. In terms of needing snowshoes, it looks like there's houses & sheds all over the place on googlemaps, so I doubt they're needed - the route is likely to follow tracks rather than footpaths. My comments about needing to be self-sufficient are also null and void. If you were going up the mountain to the northeast to the treeline around Balisalp or even the ridgeline beyond then my self-sufficiency comments would hold true.

Post edited at 13:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...