New Year's Resolutions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lifeismeaningless 04 Dec 2018

I know we are a way off yet but to save my resolutions being made up at the last minute, any (preferably UK hill specific) ideas? What are your plans?

My current thought is 10 or 15 Munros. Not sure whether to do some research and list them now to tick off later, or do it as I go. They'd likely have to be south of the Great Glen-ish for weekend access from South Scotland, and I could probably do more but I want a realistic target to get me out in the hills more in 2019. 

What are your thoughts for 2019? and which Murnos would you suggest for a cracking set of summits? 

Cheers

In reply to Lifeismeaningless:

I'd love to experience a few more Wainwrights, the Snowdonia way and Peninne way... 

Harry Jarvis 04 Dec 2018

If you really do need to restrict yourself to staying south of the Great Glen, you are missing out on possibly the most spectacular Munros of Torridon and similar, such as An Teallach, and of course the Cuillin on Skye. 

But, staying south of the Great Glen, Glen Coe would be the first port of call, and in particular, Buachaille Etive Mor, the two Munros of the Aonach Eagach ridge, and Bidean Nam Bian. Buachaille Etive Beag is less spectacular, but only really because its neighbours are so special. 

In the same part of the country is Beinn a'Bheithir, with two Munros. A little further south is Ben Starav, and its satellites, Stob Gabhar, and Ben Lui. 

Ben Cruachan would also be on my list. 

And then of course you have the Cairngorms ...

But don't restrict yourself to Munros. Smaller mountains are no less worthy, and in particular the Cobbler is a fine peak with a nicely satisfying tweak at the top. 

And for a much less busy day out, the Merrick, in Dumfries and Galloway is good value. 

Welsh Kate 04 Dec 2018

10-15 Munros is exactly my kind of target too. I've done 11 this year which is my highest number in any calendar year, though that's partly because I did the South Glenshiel Ridge in May! It's tough racking up lot of Munros though when you live in South Wales, and I'm never going to compleat, so I'm not on a Munro mission.

I've got a backpacking route from Pitlochry to Aviemore that's been sitting there for a while with high and low level options depending on the weather that I really need to get out and do, hopefully during the Easter vac, and I do want to go back to Iceland and do the Laugavegur Trail in the summer.

But before that, it's the Galloway hills before Christmas, and Merrick's on the cards then.

OwenM 04 Dec 2018

South of Glencoe. There's Ben More & Stob Binnein. Cruach Ardrain & Beinn Tulaichean. Beinn Chrion & An Caisteal. These are all around Crianlarich. 

Near Killin is Ben Lawers & the Tarmachans both have several Munro's and then there's Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin not far from Callander.  

Flinticus 05 Dec 2018

Not really focused on munros. Got hills in Ardgour which I plan to do. Love it there: remote, empty, rugged hills with great coastal and loch views.

Final two munros south on the Great Glen: the two just east of Tarf bothy but route planned from Linn of Dee with a camp.

Lifeismeaningless 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

I am still surprised I haven't done Merrick yet as I live in the Moffat area. Did the Cobbler this time a few years ago in ice and a small amount of snow just after I got my dog, he loved it but will be staying at home for a lot of these so I can take more interesting scrambling routes.

Great suggestions guys, much appreciated. If I took a few hours off on Friday afternoon I could get further north and Torridon is on the list. Having cycled the NC500 it's hard not to want to go back. I have unfinished business on Skye too

pasbury 06 Dec 2018

To do more than two weekend backpacking trips in the year. I've plenty of potential explores to do in Wales - just need to extract myself from domestic obligations more often.

The Rhinogs, another wander round the green desert (fantastic area), both Arenigs and the Migneint, Full Cader ridge (all the way to the sea), Pumlumon, Full Brecon beacons ridge (all the way to Ammanford), hills east of the Arans and around Llanymawddwy, Berwyns ridge... that should keep me going for a while.

Keep up the running. Do more of it in the hills.

Keep off the booze.

Post edited at 16:25
 fimm 07 Dec 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Walk from Achnasheen to Sheil Bridge, bagging a bunch of Munros en route. That will be a big step up from similar trips I've done before, and pretty committing (though there are low level alternatives for most of it), but I've been thinking about it for a few years and really want to do it! I'm wondering if I should try and find someone to do it with, or just go for it and do it solo...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...