Navigation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 02 Dec 2020

My son and his teenage family are getting into mountain walking, can people recommend good current  teaching books on Mountain Navigation?

In reply to Trangia:

Navigation in the Mountains by Carlo Forte is the official Mountain Training handbook.

blackcat 02 Dec 2020

In reply I started with freedom of the hills,theres the latest edition which covers plenty on navigation,but also weather,bivvying,how to cross streams,coping with different elements etc.

Dave the Rave 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Trangia:

The Langmuir Mountaincraft and Leadership, was and probably still is a fine reference and teaching tool.

Welsh Kate 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Carlo Forte's Navigation in the Mountains is the one I'd recommend, and the one we recommend to any of our MR trainees who need to brush up.

OP Trangia 02 Dec 2020

In reply:

Many thanks for the recommendations  

jpicksley 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Mountain Navigation by Peter Cliff. Used to be an ML text I think. It's short and to the point. Has a particularly good section on measuring distance and timings which is more practical and accurate than Naismiths in my opinion. Highly recommend it.

JoshOvki 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Slightly different to a book, but lots of MLs have been struggling for work this year. Maybe look at booking a 1 - 1 (or 2) session for some practical training? 

[Otherwise the Libby Peters book is worth the read]

In reply to Trangia:

You're welcome to a copy of my navigation notes & resources for teaching DofE participants. They're intended as a reminder for an instructor (and so are hierarchical bullet point notes), but they address most of the techniques of navigation, and describe a process for following a route, which I find is often missing in books on navigation; they usually cover the techniques, but don't give a process.

No pretty pictures (except for an example route on a map, and some diagrams of using a compass and correcting for GMA).

annieman 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Two in-depth handbooks from the Orienteering World are Teaching Navigation by Nigel williams and Outdoor Navigation by Pat and Brian Mee. 

Also search for local Permenant Orienteering Course in your area on the British Orienteering Federation website. There are some easy ones and dastardly ones (Wendover Woods).

I find these concepts are better understood by DofE Students. Set the map, and keep it set. Look at and for features and tick them off until you reach your objective. Repeat.

OP Trangia 03 Dec 2020
In reply to all:

Very many thanks for all your helpful replies. I have decided to get them the Carlo Forte book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...