Mount Olympus conditions May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fruit 26 Jan 2023

Does anyone have recent experience of conditions on Olympus in late April, early May. I am specifically interested in the likelihood of ice/snow on the standard route up the main summit.

cheers

Pedro50 26 Jan 2023
In reply to Fruit:

Can't really help, ascent in October 2019, warm and pleasant, waited till the clouds cleared before summit dash. 

Iain Thow 28 Jan 2023
In reply to Fruit:

Not that recent (2009) but it was in late April (26th on the summits). The snowline was a few hundred feet below the Prionia But. The hut is shut in winter but you can pick up a key in Litochoro (although in my case I couldn't because the custodian had gone on holiday because "nobody climbs Olympus in April"). I dossed on the verandah, which was fine (although wolf footprints in the morning came within a few feet!). The snow was deep high up,  with considerable avalanche risk in places, so I kept to ridges, still quite hard work. Climbed Skala and Skolio (both easy, a bit like a winter day on, say, Cruachan or the Five Sisters). Turned back from Mytikas as snow covered slabs above the col with Skala were an obvious avalanche danger. The main Mytikas couloir would have been lethal. Didn't meet any ice at all.

Babika 29 Jan 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Can't really help, ascent in October 2019, warm and pleasant, waited till the clouds cleared before summit dash. 

Or:

Ascent in October 2015, perpetual rain turning to snow higher up. Full British winter weather gear, carried axe and spikes with plenty of verglas on the higher rocks. I was the only person staying in the 110 person hut. 

Olympus is a magnet for odd weather if its sweeping across the region. Best to check out the 14 day forecast before heading there whether May or October.

OP Fruit 29 Jan 2023
In reply to Iain Thow:

Thanks that’s useful 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...