Missing walker: Police appeal for info on possible bothy-goer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Derbyshire Police are concerned about the welfare of Jonathan Knutton, thought to be in the highlands, and have appealed for info from anyone who may have seen him.

He is believed to have bought a copy of John Burns' book Bothy Tales, and may have gone to one of several bothies mentioned in it. These include:

Faindouran, Fords of Avon, Bearnais, Invernalie, Glean Dugh-lighe, Glean Pean, Glendubh, Carnmore, Gelder Shiel, Ben Alder, Shenavall, Taigh Thormoid Dhuibh (Black Norman's House), Kearvaig, Corrour, and non- MBA Glenbeg.

https://www.facebook.com/john.burns.351756/posts/10160049552417090

Edit 08/01: Police confirm he's been found safe and well

scotthldr 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Do we know if he drove up to Highlands, if so make, colour and partial reg number of vehicle would help immensely. Dates would help also.

In reply to scotthldr:

They say he was captured on a camera going through Glasgow, but that's the only info I have

scotthldr 06 Jan 2022

Just looked at the Derbyshire Police website, the guy’s not been seen since Christmas Day

https://www.derbyshire.police.uk/news/derbyshire/news/appeals/south/2021/de...

I’ve just phoned Derbyshire police to ask them if they have vehicle type colour reg to release it, as they are looking for the proverbial needle. I was walking in Drumochter last Friday, another 12 cars in car park but I didn’t see anyone on the hill. You can disappear in the hills up here but it’s hard to hide a car.

Post edited at 13:49
 kwoods 06 Jan 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

Second that on the car model/reg.

Ridge 06 Jan 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

> I’ve just phoned Derbyshire police to ask them if they have vehicle type colour reg to release it, as they are looking for the proverbial needle. I was walking in Drumochter last Friday, another 12 cars in car park but I didn’t see anyone on the hill. You can disappear in the hills up here but it’s hard to hide a car.

It's possible the camera was street CCTV or maybe public transport, as the release says “believed to have travelled”, with no mention of a vehicle. Good idea to chase it up though.

Wingnut 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Ridge:

Car details are in the Derbyshire Police link upthread.

David Alcock 06 Jan 2022

"Jonathan’s car, a distinctive silver Citroen with a purple roof and a registration starting HJ63, was later seen in the Glasgow area on 28 December." 

scotthldr 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Ridge:

The press release has since been updated since I spoke with Derbyshire off the back of my phone call. The person I spoke with is emailing me more info to post here, although I think everything is covered in the updated release. Fingers crossed 

Bottom Clinger 06 Jan 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

From the Facebook page, police think he may have been in the Aviemore area on 31st Dec

Ridge 06 Jan 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

> The press release has since been updated since I spoke with Derbyshire off the back of my phone call. The person I spoke with is emailing me more info to post here, although I think everything is covered in the updated release. Fingers crossed 

Good work 👍

scotthldr 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Ridge:

I’ve been sent an email from Derbyshire Police containing a missing person leaflet with the updated information, however I can’t upload it onto here. I’ve tried to upload it into my personal photo gallery but it doesn’t recognise the format so won’t allow it. Any ideas?

In reply to scotthldr:

Here it is Scott

scotthldr 06 Jan 2022

That’s the one👍🏻

Ridge 06 Jan 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

Maybe contact UKC to see if they could publish it?

It's wrong to speculate, but one of the more likely scenarios is that he's come to grief tramping across the wilds to a remote bothy in bad conditions. The mystery of the missing car could be the result of him parking far down some rough mountain track to reduce the length of his walk-in.

His final Tweets (13-17 December) showed nothing untoward, no signs whatever of any mental problems: https://twitter.com/jonathanknutton

Post edited at 22:12

In currently on a bothie and camping trip in the Highlands. I'll keep an eye out and ask any bothy goers if they've seen anyone matching the description.

ScraggyGoat 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

It’s very hard to drive on estate tracks, they are either gated or locked, or the keeper/stalker/factor would be enquiring into your business quiet quickly.  I can only think of a couple of bothies that estates allow vehicle access part way off the public highway, and none are in the list above.  Granted the car could be parked in a quiet corner and given its the holiday period locals won’t be wondering as to the welfare of the occupant.

Hope he turns up safe and well. New year was at times cold, wet and windy with in some areas the rivers intermittently in spate. Nothing unusual if you are a regular, but harsh if unfamiliar.

elliot.baker 07 Jan 2022

the car was found it was in a newspaper yesterday and this morning

https://www.scotsman.com/news/crime/jonathan-knutton-car-of-derbyshire-man-...

His car, a distinctive silver Citroen DS3 with a purple roof and a registration plate starting with HJ63, has been found near Badaguish Outdoor Centre, Glenmore.

Bob Kemp 07 Jan 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

Also here in case anyone doesn't want to register with The Scotsman - 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands-islands/3822276/jonatha...

Jamie Hageman 07 Jan 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

Whenever I see Badaguish mentioned, I always sing "Badaguish Badaguish, will you do the fandango".  Might just be me though.  When I did the Meall a' Buachaille hill race a couple of years ago, I was singing it most of the way round.  Probably part of the reason why I was almost an hour behind Fin Wild.  

Fingers crossed Mr Knutton is found safe and well.

scotthldr 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

It’s now been confirmed that Jonathan Knutton has been traced safe and well👍🏻No further details at this time.

In reply to scotthldr:

Good 

In reply to scotthldr:

What great news.

midgen 08 Jan 2022

> His final Tweets (13-17 December) showed nothing untoward, no signs whatever of any mental problems: https://twitter.com/jonathanknutton

Glad he's turned up safe. But if you take a look at his tweets, he's clearly circling the conspiracy theory black hole event horizon, an anti-vaxxer etc. Hopefully he has family and friends that can help him falling too far down the rabbit hole.

Wingnut 08 Jan 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

Good! Glad to see a "missing person" with a happy ending.

Basemetal 08 Jan 2022

Very Good news! A thread title edit might be in order? 

In reply to Basemetal:

You can't really exaggerate what good news this is, given the huge number of hours he was missing in quite bad weather.

In reply to midgen:

> But if you take a look at his tweets, he's clearly circling the conspiracy theory black hole event horizon, an anti-vaxxer etc. 

Oh, yes... Had moved on to financial market conspiracy.

scotthldr 08 Jan 2022

I must admit I did fear for the worst, can’t believe it took 11 days for the police to release the car details. Once the car was located it was easier to concentrate on a far smaller area. Would be interested to know if he was traced in the Cairngorm area.

David Alcock 08 Jan 2022
In reply to midgen:

I'm glad he's been found safe. So often these stories have unhappy endings. 

And yes, I scanned his tweets. Maybe you can't get 5g in the Cairngorms...

All's well that ends well. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...