Mid-Wales quickies...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 24 Jan 2021

Following on from my (re)starting thread...I occasionally drive up to Chester for business, and was tempted by the idea of taking a diversion via mid Wales for a sneaky overnight wild camp to test my newly rediscovered skills (assuming the border re-opens of course!).

Can anyone suggest some good locations where I can park safely and get off the road to somewhere scenic/suitably wild within an hour's walk or so? Feel free to PM me to keep it discreet!

Chopper 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

What do you not understand about Wales being in a Tier 4 lockdown? Wait until lockdowns are lifted before you even think about it.

Your question is likely to be seen as a preliminary to "sneeking" into Wales in contravention of lockdown

Post edited at 11:12
OP Nic 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

Er, what do you not understand about "assuming the border reopens"? Perhaps I wasn't clear, this is future planning for when the world gets back to some sort of normality. I can see how the post could be misread, my requests for being discreet were referencing the inadvisability of trumpeting wild camping spots on a public forum, *not* breaking lockdown.

Post edited at 11:36
 Chopper 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

Read my last paragraph.

George_Surf 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

They did say ‘when the border reopens’!

The Arans and Arenigs are very nice and very quiet. Not really mid Wales but you could access the Rhinogs from the East (south of trawsfynydd) and it wouldn’t be that much of a detour. Have a look on the map, the whole area is just rolling hills and mountains, very wild, very quiet. 

Dr.S at work 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

How did you get your name?

Babika 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

As George Surf says - maps are your friend. Its really pointless asking for wild camping spots as no one on here is likely to share their discreet favourite and thereby open it up. 

We discovered a few last summer when travel was open but I'm pretty despondent about when it will come back. 

Lankyman 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

Even before the mayhem of last summer when even previously quiet places got overwhelmed I'd be very unlikely to divulge any camping spots of mine. As someone else has suggested, get the maps and look. Part of the fun of the game is finding your quiet places yourself and it has the extra benefit of spreading the load. There's a lot out there, get looking.

Wainers44 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Babika:

.... pretty despondent about when it will come back. 

Its getting tough now. Normal year I would have a couple of wild camp nights done already with 4 or 5 more planned for the next few weeks.

Just got all my lightweight camping stuff out, "packed" it and then put it away again. 

crayefish 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

I love how righteous people can be on here!  Hahaha  "Thou shalt do no wrong because I am inculpable."  But I do understand; it can be difficult to read a post properly from so high up on a soap box.

Anyway, Nic, I always found that the Cambrian mountains to be most excellent for wild camping (if you don't mind the rain).  Head towards Tregaron from Builth Wells on the tiny road that crosses them.  Anywhere along there is lovely.  Kep an eye out for a lonely red phone box

David Alcock 24 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Machynlleth chippy. Ask for Bronwen. 

In reply to Wainers44:

> .... pretty despondent about when it will come back. 

> Its getting tough now. Normal year I would have a couple of wild camp nights done already with 4 or 5 more planned for the next few weeks.

> Just got all my lightweight camping stuff out, "packed" it and then put it away again. 

It's starting to get to me now. Me and a pal had planned to do the Southern Upland Way starting before New Year. Could have been a bit epic given the weather.........

David Alcock 24 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Sorry, crayefish - I meant that for Nic. 

OP Nic 24 Jan 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Thanks Crayefish, liking your work!..."keep an eye out for a lonely red phone box"...I assume that's for calling ahead to the Machynlleth chippy ?

crayefish 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Nic:

Hahaha.  I always found it an amusing sight.  Haven't been back in a decade, so hoping its still there!

Hopefully that road isn't too far out your way, but can't go wrong in the area, aside from getting wet.

HTPumlumon 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Nic:

Pumlumon always a good option, and I've used it myself along the lines you're proposing. Accessible off the A44 (you can pay to park at Eisteddfa Gurig, or drop 1k below the pass and there's a forestry road you can squeeze in on), and within half an hour's walk you're above 2000ft. 

Drive round on the C-road to the NW to get into proper wilderness.

ianstevens 17 Feb 2021
In reply to HTPumlumon:

> Pumlumon always a good option, and I've used it myself along the lines you're proposing. Accessible off the A44 (you can pay to park at Eisteddfa Gurig, or drop 1k below the pass and there's a forestry road you can squeeze in on), and within half an hour's walk you're above 2000ft. 

Better to use the lay-by c. 500 m down the main road

> Drive round on the C-road to the NW to get into proper wilderness.

OP Nic 17 Feb 2021
In reply to HTPumlumon:

Thanks - by the "C road to the NW" do you mean the one that goes around Nant-y-moch reservoir? Yes, I had a look at that, definitely prospects!

Welsh Kate 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Nic:

Yep, there are some good camping spots in that broader area and you can go in nearly any direction from Nant-y-moch res to find something. The Wales Tourist Authority has used a tagline about it being 'the big country'. It's not, really, but this part of mid Wales is BIG and there are big vistas in all directions. That area between the A44 and Mach. is great.

oh - and if we're on chippies, Evans' Plaice in Rhayader is pretty excellent!

Post edited at 19:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...