Magnetic north ... map skills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ste1 22 Mar 2019

hi all new user and not to familiar with this layout 

reading the map skill and that magnetic north has moved, so if I’m on the north York Moore’s do I still need to add 2deg, that’s ftom map to ground reading ?

would it also be the same if on the northdowns ? 

Many thanks 

Welsh Kate 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ste1:

The answer, simply, is that it depends where you are in the UK. Most parts of the UK will still require the adjustment we're used to, but there are parts in the south west where if you're adjusting for magnetic variation, you need to do 'from grid to mag get rid; from mag to grid add' which is the reverse to 'normal'. However, some parts of the UK require virtually no adjustment at present. Use the website below to check!

http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/data_service/models_compass/gma_calc.html

In reply to Ste1:

Probably more like 1.3-1.5 for both locations, at a very rough guess. Looking at the table at the bottom of this piece, London is currently 1.4, and both the NYM and ND are a similar longitude. The difference between mag and grid is steadily closing in this part of the country.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/skills/series/skills/magnetic_north_...

Personally I have never bothered adjusting if it's only a degree or two of difference. It's unlikely you'll ever be able to walk that accurately on a bearing anyway. Besides which, if you keep your legs relatively short then the cumulative error will be negligible. Also, navigation for most walkers is a rough and ready thing - you're not often aiming for a needle in a haystack, the targets are usually large enough to give you a bit of margin for inaccuracy either side. So I'd say it's something to be aware of, but not to lose sleep over!

Post edited at 10:49
 MG 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ste1:

In the UK you can pretty much ignore it for a few years.  The difference is small in comparison to the accuracy with which you can work on a bearing

richprideaux 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ste1:

As others have said - it has been less than 2 degrees for a while, and will be so for a couple of years. 

It's almost impossible to be that accurate with a baseplate compass anyway, so just make sure that you combine walking on a bearing with another tactic (catch feature, aiming off etc) to make sure you stay on track.

richprideaux 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Your bit has more of a 'adjust for the unmapped and unmarked abandoned quarry' problem than a magnetic variation problem TBF.

Ste1 22 Mar 2019

Thank you for all the replies  

this forum is so good, I really didn’t expect to have so many replies in such a short time

thank you all once again.  

pwo 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ste1:

All depends what you're walking towards. I never bother calculating variation when out on the hill and the inaccuracy over say 5km is only just over 100 metres. If you're walking towards a minefield or sailing close to submerged rocks then that's a different risk. The only minefield I've come across are the turds hidden all over the cullin ridge! 

Toerag 22 Mar 2019
In reply to pwo:

A +/-2 degree error over 5km is 174m each side.

Billhook 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ste1:

I wouldn't worry over a couple of degrees. 

BTW - its the North York Moors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...