Loch an Eilein parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 04 Sep 2018

I have it in mind that the loch an Eilein car park only charges in summer, am I correct in this recollection? If so, are we still in summer or is it free yet?

malky_c 04 Sep 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Suggesting until 1st November here:

https://rothiemurchus.net/visit/loch-an-eilein/

OP girlymonkey 04 Sep 2018
In reply to malky_c:

I took that to be the opening times of the shop, but I guess it makes sense that the car park is the same.

Andy Nisbet 04 Sep 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

You used to be able to park outside the car park and walk. But that's a few years ago. Probably still can.

OP girlymonkey 05 Sep 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

I'm in a 9 seater which can't risk getting a scratch, so don't want to try squeezing into wee roadside places. Will just park at inverdruie and walk to Loch an Eilein rather than round it.

DaveHK 05 Sep 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

For real entertainment value what you need to do is park somewhere else and ride your bike through the car park, assuming it's still the same attendant.

Andy Nisbet 05 Sep 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

It would be more fun parking at Blackpark or Whitewell and walking from there, than walking along the public roads.

OP girlymonkey 05 Sep 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

There's not much public road. There's the path that goes by the Lochan with the water lillies which comes out about a km from the car park, then returning via blackpark there's another km or so at the end. It's a nice loop. 

We actually started earlier than I expected so it was logical to start from inverdruie anyway to make it a longer walk. I really like it from there.

Removed User 07 Sep 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

There used to be a spot under some pine trees about 300M short of the car park where a few cars could get in on the verge, but this has now been blocked to force people into the paying car park. Note that the car park charges not per vehicle but per person, which is outrageous (not come across that anywhere else) and as close as you can get to charging for access. The Grants of Rothiemurchus are just plain greedy. Park at Whitewell and walk from there, though it will just be a matter of time before the money grubbing Grants block that off too.

Fruitbat 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed Userrabthecairnterrier:

Never heard of anywhere charging per number of people in a car - perhaps the name should be changed to a 'people park' instead of car park. 

Can you drop off all passengers around the corner so you only have to pay for the driver? I don't know the layout so maybe around the corner means a long walk to the car park. What happens with people who have walked  or cycled from elsewhere? Is this where the antics of the attendant come in, as alluded to above by Dave Kerr? Any good stories?

Removed User 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

Yes you can, it's not a long walk and there is damn all the attendant can do about it. As to walkers and cyclists, this is Scotland remember, and the law allows responsible access on foot or by bike regardless of how the landowner feels about it. So ... tough luck on the money grubbing Grants.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...