Latest OS25K Maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baz P 08 Jul 2020

Can anyone tell me if the permissive bridleways in the Burbage Valley, and along the tops of Froggatt and Curbar are on the latest OS maps?

There are now a lot of permissive routes that are not on my 2016 OS25K maps and I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the 2020 map. My OS maps are missing lots of bridleways that are on various Council's definitive maps so I am wondering if the OS can be bothered to record anything new.

Having said that, I have been along permissive bridleways that are not even on the definitive maps so I have resorted to mapping them myself. 

ChrisJD 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Baz P:

The OS 1:25K Maps on Bing (which I assume are current?) show the Longshaw permissive BWs (but not the extra bit linking to Burbage Valley), but not the Green Drive (Burbage Valley) permissive BW.

Curbar/Frogatt still shown as FP.

Presumably, they don't want formalised on OS mapping in case they withdraw?

The eastern side of the Eastern Moors loop isn't shown as any RoW either.

OP Baz P 09 Jul 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thank you for the reply. I’m finding it very difficult to map permissive paths as there is no joined up mapping. You don’t know of a permissive bridleway until you bump into the sign.

mrphilipoldham 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Baz P:

Just looking on the OS app and it’s all FPs only, even the one through Burbage Valley which surprised me!

deepsoup 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I don't think it ever gets indicated on an OS map does it - when a public footpath has been upgraded to a bridleway on a 'permissive' basis?  Permission can be granted, and then withdrawn, so quickly that it's hard to imagine any map keeping up with them tbh.

Regarding the OS app in particular they seem to have just caught up, but until just a few weeks ago it was showing an older, slightly out of date version of the 25k and 50k maps compared to the OS website, or the Viewranger app.

I noticed this initially because I often used the bridleway that goes steeply up from Broomhead Reservoir towards Old Booth Farm, starting at about SK 2554 9581.

That bridleway is on the OS map on their website here:
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/53.45839,-1.61676,17
(You need to be logged in to see that.)

But it was missing on the app until very recently, the way it still is on Bing here:
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=93155ab6-a40e-4826-806a-9b0bfa3a99c6&cp=...

ChrisJD 10 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

> I don't think it ever gets indicated on an OS map does it - when a public footpath has been upgraded to a bridleway on a 'permissive' basis? 

It is shown in some cases. OS have symbol for it: light brown long dash for permissive BW

For example, the OS 1:25K Maps on Bing show the Longshaw permissive BWs (as a combined green short dash FP and a long dash light brow pBW) 

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=be6afe37-43f1-48f5-9f46-dd23181f3eb7&cp=...

deepsoup 10 Jul 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

> It is shown in some cases. OS have symbol for it: light brown long dash for permissive BW

> For example, the OS 1:25K Maps on Bing show the Longshaw permissive BWs (as a combined green short dash FP and a long dash light brow pBW) 

Every day is a school day, thanks.

mrphilipoldham 10 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

There’s plenty of permissive paths on the OS maps. The one that leads to Blackshaw Quarry in Glossop for example - which has now been closed off!

deepsoup 10 Jul 2020

> There’s plenty of permissive paths on the OS maps.

Yes.  What I didn't know they ever showed was what ChrisJD pointed out above - where a statutory PROW footpath is also a permissive bridleway.

There's one not shown just to the East of the bridleway I was talking about when I posted the links I did above.  That 800m odd public footpath just South of "New Road" has also been a permissive bridleway for the last few years.  (Still a significant downgrade from the public highway it once was, before the "New Road" and the reservoir were there.)

ChrisJD 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Baz P:

The FP/permBW down through North Lees campsite also now shown.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=2afb31cb-35f4-45c6-b9c2-62bd23978b36&cp=...

Marek 10 Jul 2020

I think what people forget is (a) OS maps are not definitive - markings carry no legal significance, and (b) permissive footpaths/bridleways come and go pretty much at landowner's whims (OK, not quite, but at least in principle) and are not shown on definitive maps.

So really the only way you can get to know know where the permissive RoW are is through up-to-date local knowledge and word-of-mouth. Tricky. 

The other thing I find particularly difficult is where there are 'Other routes with public access', e.g., green dots (not dashes) on OS 25k maps. It seems like each has it's own non-generalised set of usage restrictions (e.g., between Roache End and Clough Hall Farm), but how do you find out? No signs 'on the ground' and (in my experience) nothing at the Local Authorities.

OP Baz P 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Marek:

So, a total mess then.

I originally wondered if it was worth upgrading my purchased electronic 2016 map to a now advertised 2020 version in order to get updated information on bridleways in particular. It seems not.

By looking at the local council’s definitive map, local cycle map and open cycle map I have superimposed all of the extra bridleways/ROW’s onto my OS25K map. This was tedious and only on a local basis and also only possible because the definitive map was available online. This is not the case with most authorities. I can’t find any mention of it’s whereabouts in Sheffield for instance. Perhaps they are ashamed of it and are unlawfully not updating it every four years. Not that I blame them with all of the money constraints but anything would be better than nothing.

After all of that faff I still come across signed bridleways that are not on any map. Perhaps we have the bridleway equivalent of Gary, signing them at their own expense.

BuzyG 11 Jul 2020

There are lots of permissive paths shown on 25k OS maps.  Bing maps appear to keep up to date with the latest issue.  Certainly those I know of around my area are up to date on Bing and on the OS App.

ChrisJD 12 Jul 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

There are certainly some shown, but by no ways all of them. Many missing in the Peak.

deepsoup 12 Jul 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

Also Bing doesn't quite keep up with the latest version of the OS maps.  (Weirdly, neither did the OS app until very recently compared to the OS website.  The OS's own app was showing a slightly out of date version of the map compared to the one on Viewranger.)

The reason I first noticed this was the public bridleway next to Broomhead Reservoir that appears on one version of the map but not the other - pics attached..

Incidentally, the public footpath that goes off the right hand side of the picture is also a permissive bridleway now. 

It should never have not been a bridleway really, it used to be the road before the reservoir was built.  Odd that that bit of the old road became a footpath, recently upgraded to bridleway, while the other bit became a BOAT which was recently downgraded to bridleway.  (In effect - it's still a byway, I think, but motor vehicles are banned now.)

Post edited at 13:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...