Lancaster area evening walks etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 artif 17 Apr 2021

Looks like I'll be working in Lancaster for a few weeks.

Anywhere interesting to wander about nearby in the evenings.

May take my bike as well, but not keen on leaving it in the car, off road riding only though.

Cheers

Glovin 17 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

I went up near Hutton roof last week and it was lovely 

Tony Buckley 17 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

A womble up Clougha Pike is always rewarding.  

T.

Lankyman 17 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

You're spoiled for choice. The Lune Valley has nice walks all the way. Cycle track from Glasson Dock to Bull Beck by Caton goes through the city and the Crook of Lune (tea van). Nice walking around Glasson and along the branch canal to the Lancaster Canal at Galgate. Get the OS maps for Lancaster, Bowland, South Lakes and Yorkshire Dales South and you're set. Heysham Headland is worth a wander (especially if you like Black Sabbath) and further on is Sunderland Point - watch the tides on the road!

Post edited at 09:42
 C Witter 17 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

Everywhere. You're in one of the most beautiful places in England. I'd think about:

- A cycle out to Sunderland Point, Heysham or along the Morecambe Promenade. Much of it on cycle tracks or quiet roads
- Along the canal north to Hest Bank
- Clougha Pike, maybe head out to Grit Fell or Ward Stone. Low ball bouldering up on Windy Clough too. Thorn Crag also an option, though it's a 40 minute walk-in
- Hawthornthwaite Fell
- Hutton Roof/Farleton Knott
- Warton
- Jenny Brown's Point/Silverdale coast
- Whitbarrow
- Howgills
- Roudsea
- Or further north into the South Lakes...

Greenbanks 17 Apr 2021
In reply to C Witter:

Agreed. Lovely spot. Easy access to many gems in the regions. This is a useful resource:

https://www.walkinginengland.co.uk/lancs/lancaster.php

OP artif 17 Apr 2021
In reply to all

Thanks all

Some good options for a evening out. 

Phil1919 17 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

The aqueduct on the canal.

The New NickB 17 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

Lots of options. Williamson’s Park is very nice if you don’t want go too far out of town.

Lankyman 17 Apr 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

> Lots of options. Williamson’s Park is very nice if you don’t want go too far out of town.

Apparently it's starring in an episode of Peaky Blinders. They were filming up there earlier this year.

Neil Williams 17 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

Train to Windermere if you wanted a foray into the Lakes, can take your bike on too.  Easily doable in an evening.

Post edited at 18:25
 goose299 17 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

No ones mentioned it yet but a wander up Nicky Nook

Hartoons 18 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

You have Hutton Roof or the Fairy Steps at Beetham. There's Humphrey Head on the Cartmel peninsula. You're only a hop, skip and a jump from the South Lakes which opens up the likes of Scout, Cunswick and Whitbarrow Scars. Benson Knott as well. The choices, whilst not limitless, are plentyful.

Just be a bit warey if you venture onto the scars. It's Adder season and whilst they tend to avoid folk, they like to sunbathe. You obviously get them all over, but there always seems to be no shortage of them up there.

Greenbanks 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Hartoons:

Crikey. Any sightings on Warton Hill, Hutton Roof or Farleton? I didn't realise they were so prevalent...I'll be walking up in wellies I think 

Dark-Cloud 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Hartoons:

I have been running and walking on the scars for 30 years and never seen an adder yet !

Not quite sure why you would drive to Kendal from Lancaster for a walk when there is the Quernmore and Glasson area on the doorstep, but each to their own.

Lankyman 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Crikey. Any sightings on Warton Hill, Hutton Roof or Farleton? I didn't realise they were so prevalent...I'll be walking up in wellies I think 

Lived below Warton Crag for a decade, have walked over all those hills for decades, did conservation jobs and never saw more than the odd lizard. I've only ever encountered adders on two or three occasions and never in Lancashire.

Greenbanks 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Likewise. Lived near Carnforth for over 10 years and climbed extensively all over. That's why I'm a bit surprised at the suggestion that the area is Adder Central. Not as familiar with the Kendal scars, so it might be different there - tho' I doubt it.

In reply to artif:

grew up in the area, got out all the time and never saw an adder in 28 years and counting so don't worry about them! I have seen one slow worm and one grass snake so i'd like to see one to complete the set

like others have said hutton roof/farleton is hard to beat for a nice walk with lots of chilled bouldering and climbing on offer too.

if you don't mind travelling a little further north one of our favourites is whitbarrow scar, its amazing how many lake district tops you can see from there. 

Dark-Cloud 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

They are definitely on the Scars but i have never seen one personally, the Mrs has and so have plenty of friends who run up there, harmless unless you stand on them or pick them up !

Greenbanks 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Just found this, from the Westmoreland Gazette:

https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/14528010.snake-spotted-on-scou...

Hartoons 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I don't know the Quernmore area too well I'm afraid as I live in Kendal but absolutely, there's some lovely walks closer to Lancaster.

I've seen a few adders and heard a few stories; usually with over-inquisitive dogs. The vets issue warnings every year too. My closest 'encounter' with one was on Garburn Pass up Kentmere, where I went to spend a penny near the wall and noticed some movement by my foot mid flow. I backpedalled pretty quick. My dad found it hilarious. 

OP artif 25 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

Thanks all.

Didn't get out last week but should have time this week coming. Adders don't worry me, famous last words. 

First impressions of Lancaster are mixed, work is good, but the locals seem a bit stressed out, drivers especially. 

The New NickB 25 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

> Thanks all.

> First impressions of Lancaster are mixed, work is good, but the locals seem a bit stressed out, drivers especially. 

That will be the one way system.

It's a nice little city and a beautiful area.

Bob Kemp 25 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

I’m surprised at the stressed out drivers. When I moved to this part of the world I was amazed by how courteous drivers were generally. They do things like waving you through at side roads and roundabouts that I thought had died out after years of big city living. Of course there’s the usual percentage of fools and grumpy people but no more so than elsewhere
It’s true the one way system is a pain but it’s nothing compared to some places. 

OP artif 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I was surprised as well, but witnessed more incidents of stupid/aggro driving in the 15 minute drive to work than the 7 hour drive up there, which included the m25 and m6.

Maybe just a bad week. 

Bob Kemp 25 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

I think there are places that attract  idiots. For example the road out to Heysham seems to encourage reckless driving. 

OP artif 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

That's the one

Lankyman 25 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

> First impressions of Lancaster are mixed, work is good, but the locals seem a bit stressed out, drivers especially. 

I work in Lancaster. What's your problem? Comin' up 'ere with your fancy southern driving .....

bonebag 25 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

Takes me back to my student days at Lancaster Uni. Forty years ago! Silverdale area is good too and Leighton Moss if you are interested in birds.

Hartoons 25 Apr 2021
In reply to artif:

Perhaps, lockdown rules permitting, we should organise a bit of a meet one evening for a wander or drink or both. I also work in Lancaster so it sounds like there's a few folk around.

FYI, I recommend Go Burrito for lunch if you have an appetite. Absolutely fantastic burritos.

Neil Williams 25 Apr 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

> That will be the one way system.

I reckon so, it's like a little bit of London traffic in a lovely bit of the North.  They're consulting on changing it to a two-way system instead at the moment, I believe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...