Lake District boulder bivis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Does anybody have any knowledge of good boulders that provide shelter for an overnight bivy in the Lake District. It doesn't have to be quite as good as anything like the Shelterstone in the Cairngorms but any good suggestions would be great. Especially anything near to the big crags.

Cheers,

Tom

petegunn 29 Jan 2023
In reply to SomeBlokeCalledTom:

Theres one up at Hollowstones under Scafell Crag, not the biggest but you can sleep under it!

Priest Hole cave is much bigger on Dove Crag and the one up Langstrath- the latter a bit abused unfortunately.

Loads of good caves and mines in the area but can be a bit drippy and damp.

Post edited at 20:53

Didn't inspect these closely, but on my wanders this year I spotted big boulders with walls built up underneath them below Dow Crag (the one above the Great Moss in Upper Eskdale), and beneath the north face of Great Gable, obvious if heading east on Moses Trod (photo below). Certainly look as though they have been used as howffs in the past.

https://wildaboutwalking.files.wordpress.com/2022/09/114-1.jpg

And I wouldn't mind betting that there is shelter to be had beneath one of the Samson Stones.

Post edited at 23:08
 mountainbagger 29 Jan 2023

Bottom of Cam Crag Ridge. It is mentioned in this article: https://www.ukscrambles.com/lake-district-scrambles/cam-crag-ridge/

We found it in passing but didn't try it out!

These are some really helpful ideas, thank you!

Dark-Cloud 30 Jan 2023

There is some biggish boulders round the back of Stickle Tarn under Pavey that you may get some shelter from rather than be right underneath, however i would imagine the ground will be covered in sheep excretions of one sort or another!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...