Lake District 3 day advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
flip19 01 Sep 2019

Two or three of us are heading to the Lake District for 3 days hiking in a couple of weeks.

We haven’t settled on a route yet, but don’t want anything too taxing. We all have a reasonable level of fitness, and used to do a lot of hiking, but it has been a while.

I’m just after some advice in relation to:

1. A good route which will take in some great scenery and involve wild camping.

2. Somewhere with relatively safe overnight car parking for the trip. It will be Friday-Sunday.

3. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

C Witter 01 Sep 2019
In reply to flip19:

Personally, I really enjoy the central fells. I recently did a walk with my brother over three days from Langdale to Wasdale (campsite) via Bowfell, Esk Pike and Scafell Pike; from there to a wild camp in a cove above Ennerdale, via Yew Barrow and Red Pike; then via Pillar and Great Gable to Borrowdale. Along the way we swam in Wastwater and Sour Milk Gill, Gillercombe. On the fourth day we met our father (with a car) and swam in Langstrath and Buttermere. We got in over 40km and a lot of summits. A quality round. I'm sure many variations on this could be designed, with the aid of a good map!

rj_townsend 01 Sep 2019
In reply to flip19:

Over the Bank Holiday weekend I did Keswick to Coniston via Honister and Eskdale YHAs. Good route although wet underfoot in places - plenty of wild camping options instead of the hostels.

The car was left at the rugby club in Keswick. £4 per day - just buy multiple tickets and hand-write the dates and line them up on the dashboard.

In reply to flip19:

Here are a couple of high level circular ideas that I've done with one overnight but could easily be split over three days if you want to take it a bit more easy...

Lakeland 3000ers plus some extras: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=483

Patterdale Parish Boundary https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=840 

flip19 02 Sep 2019

Thanks for the replies, I’ll get the maps out and have a look.

We had been looking at the Wasdale area and seen online about a free car park there beside the NT park. The stuff on it is all a bit old and I’m just wondering does it still exist and if you know about it?

We are from N. Ireland, so apart from a few trips years ago, our knowledge of the area is very limited.

geordiepie 02 Sep 2019
In reply to flip19:

Have a look at this

https://theomm.com/gerry-charnley-round/

you have the option to stay in youth hostels or wild camp if preferred and as it’s circular you can start it wherever suits you best.

theres a Harvey’s map covering the whole route

StockportAl 02 Sep 2019
In reply to flip19:

Just before Easter I did just short of 3 days, parked in the Ennerdale car park mid afternoon on the Wednesday and did the hills on the North side of Ennerdale and bivvied on Haystacks. Next day did Green Gable, Great Gable, Great End, etc to Scafell Pike and then to the col between Great Gable & Kirk Fell. Next day did Kirk Fell, Pillar, Red Pike (having done the other one on the wednesday) and off over Steeple back into Ennerdale. You could do Steeple and then return to the main ridge and keep doing west to do Caw Fell & Iron Crag.

It was a good walk with mainly good paths, only thee bit from Haystacks to Brandreth where it was walking on open fell.

Exile 02 Sep 2019
In reply to flip19:

You could do the three old county, (Westmorland, Cumberland and Lancashire,) tops over three days, which I have done:

Day 1: Park in Coniston. Do Coniston Old Man - Swirl How - Great Carrs - Three Shires Stone, (Wrynose Pass) - great Knott - Crinkle Crags - Bowfell - Esk Pike - Esk Hause to camp

Day 2: Leave tent early . Broad Crag - Scafell Pike for sunrise - Broad Crag - tent for leisurely breakfast - Angle Tarn - High Raise - Steel Fell - Grisdale Tarn to Camp

Day 3: Leave tent early. Dollywaggon Pike - Nethermost Pike - Helvellyn for sun rise - back to tent for breakfast - Fairfield - one half of the Fairfield Horseshoe down into Ambleside - hitch / bus back to Coniston.

pec 02 Sep 2019
In reply to flip19:

> We had been looking at the Wasdale area and seen online about a free car park there beside the NT park. The stuff on it is all a bit old and I’m just wondering does it still exist and if you know about it?

There is free parking on the "village green" (its official classification, though it doesn't look like a traditional idyllic village green). This is almost the last bit of green space on the right as you drive up the valley before you get to the pub so about a mile further on from the NT car park.

Its labelled as Wasdale Head car park for Sca Fell Pike on google.

https://tinyurl.com/y54l2ylf

flip19 03 Sep 2019

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I’ve emailed a few places and think we are now sorted with parking.

Going to try and research a bit more and plan the route at the weekend, but some great stuff mentioned. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...