Kinder Rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jp 09 Jan 2020

Kinder Downfall

We were up by Kinder Downfall on Saturday 4th and saw evidence of a recent and large rockfall.

I've posted some pics on the "Ground Conditions in UK Mountain Areas" FB page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/345833125602252/

We were doing Arpeggio Gully, about 200m down the valley and didn't have time to inspect. Vis was poor and we couldn't see where it may have come from or how far it had come.

But the boulders and rocks we could see covered around 50 metres of the stream and there was plenty of debris lying around.

I'd be interested to know if they've come from the downfall and if it, or any other climb, has been affected.

Other than that, stay safe, everyone!

Billhook 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Jp:

I assume it isn't 'in', yet then?

mrphilipoldham 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Jp:

I think the one you’re referring to happened a year or two ago now. Debris on the right just before the Downfall itself? It hasn’t taken out any climbs, if so, but has made some more precarious to access. 

OP Jp 10 Jan 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Aye, thanks for the info! What we could see was more to the right of the valley, more or less in the main channel of boulders over the stream and not too far from the Downfall. 

It may be the fall you mention, it was certainly fresh: there was no sign of weathering on much of the newly exposed rock, which was incredibly soft and crumbly to the touch. I've no idea how long it would take this kind of rock to show signs of weather, but I guess a couple of years in rock time is practically nothing...

mrphilipoldham 10 Jan 2020
In reply to Jp:

Yes that sounds like the same one, I run up there reasonably often and the fall in question still does look like it could have happened yesterday. Can't see your post on Facebook to confirm though, unfortunately! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...