Inversions this week in england and wales?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The weather forecast in England and Wales for thursday and friday looks very similar to that spell in mid december when there were great inversion conditions for several days.

High pressure, very light winds, with clear sunny skies forecast. In December that translated to only being sunny on the hill tops above the inversion.

Any amature meteorologists care to speculate if that is likely again? Or will we just get clear blue skies at all levels?

Either way looks like good days to be on the hills. Unless the inversion level is above 900m, I'm going to be in brecon beacons.

In reply to mountain.martin:

MWIS were forecasting an inversion for Friday for a few days, so we went to the Lakes. A forecast on Lake District Weatherline on Thursday night didn't mention inversions and forecast stronger winds and more cloud - so increased my doubts. We cleared the cloud just below Dove Crag, at around 800m. It was spectacular, with fog bows, Spectres and glories at times. The cloud level was quite mobile, whilst Helvellyn stayed clear all the time we were above the cloud, Bowfell and Great Gable came and went. Coniston Old Man was invisible to us.

MWIS won the forecast contest, and their outlook is forecasting more to come

Did you go to Brecon?

Post edited at 20:11
 David Cowley 14 Jan 2022
In reply to crowberry gully:

Lads at work seen a cracking inversion today in lakes. Photos and videos looked great. What makes it worse was I was supposed to be going but tested positive yesterday 

BuzyG 14 Jan 2022

I was out on Bodmin moor in my Bivi, on Wednesday night.  Perfect night for star gazing. Frost in the valley just bellow where I was in the morning and a lovely small inversion covering the fields in mist, with blue sky above.  Soon vanished once the sun was up though.

wintertree 14 Jan 2022

I caught a few distant glimpses of an inversion condition mist around the Guisborough area this morning.

No rain forecast for the rest of January.  I don't recall a January like this.

Post edited at 22:19
In reply to crowberry gully:

That sounds great. I live in Pembrokeshire and Thursday was in clag the whole day, but looking straight up you could see blue sky at times so the inversion layer must have been at a few hundred feet. Drove to Brecon in the afternoon and once you got to Carmarthen you were out of the fog and the rest of the journey to brecon was clear blue skies and no inversion. Colleagues in brecon said it had been clear all day. Colleagues in Pembrokeshire said the clag persisted in Pembrokeshire all day Thursday but was bright blue skies today (Friday)

Went up pen-y-fan for a beautiful sunrise today in very clear weather. With a little mist in the very bottom of the lower valleys, but not an obvious dramatic visible inversion layer.

Sam Beaton 15 Jan 2022

No inversions on the North York Moors yesterday, but I could see one over towards the Pennines. Just warm rock and unbroken sunshine at Scugdale and 37 problems/solos. My goodness I needed that!

Iain Thow 15 Jan 2022

There was an inversion in the Hope Valley this morning, but then there often is. I was bivvying on Kinder and hoping for one to develop underneath me in Edale. It did, but was pretty wispy. The dawn was stunning though!

climber34neil 15 Jan 2022

This morning,  walking into masson lees

mostlyrambling 16 Jan 2022

There were superb inversions between Kinder and Bleaklow, and below Sandy Heys and the Downfall on Friday around midday. Took me by surprise as I hadn't gone out with the expectation of encountering any, was just out for a wander and some fresh air/exercise really.

wintertree 16 Jan 2022

There was a thin layer of fog floating in mid Teesdale yesterday morning; it evaporated pretty quickly, but before it did the view form the tops was great - an ethereal glow coming up out of the valley.

So looks like I was partially correct to think we would have inversions. And it seems full on inversions developed in lake District, peak District and Pembrokeshire.

But no inversion or only a bit of valley bottom mist in Brecon beacons, Bodmin moor and north York Moors.

Would be interesting to know why they develop in one area but not another. 

olddirtydoggy 16 Jan 2022

We were on Ben Starav up glen Etive on Friday and we were treated to broken spectres and a letterbox inversion were there was heavy cloud above and below us, just the top 200m of the munros were clear. I've never seen that before. Saturday was horrific.

mostlyrambling 17 Jan 2022
 Jamie Hageman 17 Jan 2022

> Would be interesting to know why they develop in one area but not another. 

I imagine the temperature inversion was still in effect, it's just there was little or no cloud forming to show it visually. 

On the Thursday there was a massive one in Mid Wales, from around Builth upwards for a good 10/15 miles. By chance I ended up just about the cloud line and apart from a few islands visually it stretched all the way back to Pen y Fan and Corn Du. Having come from Brecon I'm pretty sure that was still clear but the angles helped. 

On going up Pen y Fan after work around sunset there was a good chunk of low lying inversion going west although nothing in the other directions. 

wintertree 17 Jan 2022
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> I imagine the temperature inversion was still in effect, it's just there was little or no cloud forming to show it visually. 

Exactly.  

We've had such an unseasonably dry time - and that's set to continue for another two weeks at least - that I imagine it's hitting cloud formation in the valleys, so whilst there are lots of inversion layers there's no cloud pinned under them. 

You can still tell that there's an inversion layer present in various ways - often by the stench of trapped diesel fumes filling the air in valley bottom villages, and from the way smoke from a chimney or grouse moor burn will rise a short distance and then go horizontal.  Watching a couple of bonfires this evening, the smoke would rise a few meters then cling to the ground for half a km.

I don't recall a January like this - sometimes we get a few glorious weeks in spring with the kind of dry, blocking high.  1040 mb sea level pressure here today, near as damned it. 

Post edited at 21:19
 Lee Sheard 17 Jan 2022

Truly stunning  Inversion west highlands today. Up ben Dorian & beinn a dothaid 

Ben lui & Cruchan amongst others floating above a sea if cloud. Will post some pics next few days

Bingers 17 Jan 2022

> Would be interesting to know why they develop in one area but not another. 

Because it's magic.

CantClimbTom 18 Jan 2022

There was a good inversion this morning over London, tallest buildings just poking through and rest covered over by blanket of mist. I think after sun rise it'd be burned away pretty quick though, I saw it early first thing from a high point in suburbs but late to be somewhere so couldn't stop to get a pic (sorry)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...