How long up Ben Lui

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pietrach 17 Sep 2020

Hi

Would you tell me how long I need to assume for an average pace person to get to the top of Ben Lui from the car park off A85 in Glen Lochy, but without Beinn a'Chleibh.

Thanks

Dave the Rave 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Pietrach:

Did it with Chleibh a couple of years ago and reckon it took about 2 hrs for both to the top of Lui. Hour down.

The recent rain may be a n issue. I recollect going under a culvert under the railway then ? across a river. Then some boggy bits and up a long convex grass slope.

Generally it was easy but was dry.

The route is described in the SMC Munro book if that’s any further help.

Post edited at 18:19
 Lankyman 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Pietrach:

On average, longer than you might expect but not as far as you might think.

andrew ogilvie 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Pietrach:

Its a very long time since I went up from that side... Not much to recommend it over the approach from Dalrigh/Tyndrum Lower even if it is shorter. 

Dave the Rave 17 Sep 2020
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

> Its a very long time since I went up from that side... Not much to recommend it over the approach from Dalrigh/Tyndrum Lower even if it is shorter. 

I saw no one

In reply to Pietrach:

I can't remember but if going from Tyndrum its much quicker if you use a mountain bike to get along the main track before the bulk of the ascent starts.  Much more fun getting back too!  The other (inferior) approach misses the main event which is the stunning view of the main face.

veteye 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Pietrach:

More fun and possibly challenging in winter.

Kalna_kaza 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

Agreed, the time savings from the Glen Lochy side don't make up for the demonstrably worse approach. 

Lankyman 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Pietrach:

I'm very disappointed at the lack of innuendo that 'How long up Ben Lui?' has provided. Poor show UKC - Fnarr, Fnarr!

aln 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Pietrach:

Took me bloody ages. It was a scorching day and I had a nap at the summit. The nap lasted most of the afternoon... 

Removed User 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Agreed.

There is a hill in the Drumochter called The Boar of Badenoch, it stands across a glen from The Sow of Athol. I had a friend in Aviemore who had a neighbour who was referred to by the same name.

It always required a little care when describing a day's walking in the hills to the East of Drumochter to avoid anyone in Aviemore questioning your sexuality.

Lankyman 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed User:

In Lancaster there's an alley called something like Everard's Passage. You can go up or come down it. They're very easy going in Lancashire.

andrew ogilvie 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

That's fair comment 🙂

OP Pietrach 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Pietrach:

I wish I haven't ask the question. 

Sean Kelly 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Pietrach:

Biggest problem is crossing the river, especially after snow melt in spring. Tied my boots around  my neck and poled across.

There are a couple of small bridges to help cross 2 small streams that can be very tricky too. The path up through the woods can be a mud-fest, but it is really easy to bag the minor Munro.

profitofdoom 19 Sep 2020
In reply to Pietrach:

> I wish I haven't ask the question. 

Why? I can guess what you mean, though. Asking questions or posting anything on UKC can open a can of unexpected worms (mixed metaphor??) Hands up anyone who has never regretted posting something on UKC.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...