Help planning route near Dolwyddelan, Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LuG48 04 Jul 2018

Hi,

Hope this is the right forum to post this in. My partner and I want to try out hiking (walking? not really sure what it counts as!) and are planning a weekend trip in Snowdonia. We have chosen to follow this route:
https://www.mudandroutes.com/moel-siabod-and-carnedd-y-cribau-from-dolwydde...

It isn't a very long route (looks like 3 hours according to OS online), but we thought it better to pick one that's too short in case we have problems or walk much slower than expected However, what we were thinking is that if we do finish it in a few hours, we can start another route from somewhere along that one. I couldn't find any routes online that start off at any of the major locations along it, however, and wondered if anyone has any suggestions? We'd like to stick to areas with very few/no people and don't mind a difficult walk (although we haven't done this before, so probably not too difficult).

Mike Peacock 04 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

I would guess that, unless you're really quick, that route will take more than 3hrs. I quickly mapped it and it comes in at 10 miles or so, plus a fair chunk of ascent.

It's a nice route, though certainly not 'easy'. The ascent of Moel Siabod is scrambly, and fun if you're up for that sort of thing. Similarly, the descent to Llynau Diwaunedd is steep and from memory there's no path. It's the grassy gully here:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1662449

If you're fit, it might be a great first (?) walk, but don't expect big paths and signposts all the way.

As for extending the walk, the obvious thing is to continue on south over Carnedd y Cribau, then take the footpath east at Bwlch y Rhediad back to the valley.

bms 04 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

Good morning. I have done this walk, accompanied by a novice. I recall that it took over 6 hours which we felt was enough exercise for the day.

Ben

Andy Johnson 04 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

How good are your navigation skills?

LuG48 05 Jul 2018

Mike -
Having had another look, the OS application does indeed tell me it's closer to 6 hours if I specifically 'view' the route.

Scrambly sounds fun! Yeah, I did get the impression it wouldn't be the easiest walk to start with, but my partner specifically wanted to go through a forest at some point, and we don't mind a challenge Thanks for the suggestion!

Andy -
Untested, as of yet! We will be getting familiar with the map and using a compass beforehand, of course, and have family members staying over nearby.

For those who have been there, how much of concern are ticks? Just thinking about clothing choices.

Mike Peacock 05 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

I lived in north Wales for almost a decade (left in 2013) and never once got a tick there. Anecdotally they do seem to be getting much more common though (especially in the Rhinogydd), so be aware. Plenty of photos online of the scramble, if you search for Daear Ddu. Generally, it's easier to the left, and harder/exposed to the right.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34264011@N05/3279359958/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlenman/15165057642/

Post edited at 08:51
mysterion 05 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

Moel Siabod is pointy so no real problems with navigation. A continuation much beyond Carnedd y Cribau takes you onto a much flatter area with obscured sightlines so navigation becomes more difficult, it's a going around in circles sort of place. So if you do continue on to Bwlch y Rhediad make sure to take the left turn back down.

Post edited at 12:40
 wilkesley 06 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

Have a look at http://v-g.me.uk/index.htm They have done quite a few muti-day walks in that part of Wales. Good photos and gps tracks. The area to the West of Siabod is lovely, but navigation can be challenging if visibility is poor.

LuG48 15 Jul 2018

We tried the walk yesterday and I have to say, it did not go well! We got lost up Moel Siabod! Being lost half way (maybe two-thirds?) up a mountain, having scrambled/practically climbed up several steep parts which look impossible to get back down and only worse ahead, knowing you have no phone signal... it's quite the experience, to put it lightly :o

However, before that bit at least, it was still fun. We learned a few things (we carried too much water and heavy food for a start) Tick-wise, I found two on my husband - one on his foot, despite socks! - and none on me. Surprising considering all the undergrowth and nearly head-height grasses we went through.

I really don't understand why/where we went so very wrong with our navigation. Any recommendations for an easier route (probably not up a mountain next time, a hill might be better), particularly navigation-wise?

Post edited at 14:13
 RuthW 15 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

Quite often 'paths' on the map do not necessarily translate to path in real life! Also, there are often paths on the ground that are unmarked on the map - so quite often I have ended up following one of these unmarked paths into a dead end!   Without knowing how to read all the other features on the map, in some areas it is all very confusing.

I have always thought that you are actually safer on a well trodden route to start with until you have got navigation down.  Unfortunately that usually means joining the crowds- say on Snowdon - you are unlikely to loose the path there (although have have met people that went back down the wrong path ending up very far from their car!). 

LuG48 15 Jul 2018
In reply to RuthW:

Yes, that was part of the problem. We also thought a boundary line on the map denoted a path. I think we were following animal trails which we thought were paths a few times, too.

Bit reluctant to go somewhere with crowds, we're not really comfortable around large groups of people and it might spoil the experience.

Welsh Kate 15 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

The best thing you can do is learn some navigation. By doing that not only will you be able to go to lovely places by yourselves, but you'll be able to move on to planning your own routes in future which provides a fantastic freedom.

Many outdoors instructors run intro to mountain navigation courses, or find a local provider of the National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS) and start with the bronze course

Mike Peacock 15 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

Well, of the mistakes you think you made, carrying too much water is pretty minor, and definitely better than carrying too little. Where exactly did you get lost, and did you have good visibility?

There are some great walks around Beddgelert, if you're keeping the Snowdonian focus. You can go from Beddgelert, along the Pass of Aberglaslyn which is impressive, then up Cwm Bychan. There's a possible detour to the little hill of Moel y Dyniewydd, then you come down to Llyn Dinas and walk back along the river. This is the walk, in reverse to what I described (but it doesn't have the detour to the summit).
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/craflwyn-and-beddgelert/trails/cwm-bychan-...

RuthW 15 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

I guess it depends how people adverse you are - Cwm Idwal the devils kitchen and on up Y garn has good paths - you would not be alone, but is not as crowded as Snowdon so is more bearable.   Go on a clear day and you should have no problems.

A navigation course would be excellent if you are prepared to fork out the money

mysterion 15 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

You're doing fine, seriously. Experience like that is exactly what you need. Don't go out in low cloud just yet though...

(I made the boundary is a path mistake, in the Swiss Alps!)

Post edited at 20:51
 ianstevens 16 Jul 2018
In reply to Mike Peacock:

> I lived in north Wales for almost a decade (left in 2013) and never once got a tick there. Anecdotally they do seem to be getting much more common though (especially in the Rhinogydd), so be aware.

Indeed - I got 6 last week. There are loads about at the minute.

wilkesley 16 Jul 2018
In reply to LuG48:

It's a long time since I started from Dolwyddelan, but ISTR the first section isn't too easy to follow. If you start from Capel Curig the route is very straightforward. The first part is up a farm track and you can see Moel Siabod in front of you almost all the way.

I wouldn't recommend going up from Plas y Brenin. Navigation is easy, but it's a boring slog.

LuG48 20 Jul 2018

Sorry about the very delayed reply.

Thank you for the suggestions on routes, I'll take a look at those It's reassuring to know we're not completely alone in our mistakes!

We probably couldn't afford a course, and wouldn't be able to do it anyway - my husband has a sleeping condition which, to cut a long explanation short, means getting to places at specific dates/times isn't possible. However, a friend has very kindly offered to take us up Moel Siabod and teach us some navigation skills, which we're going to take them up on

Mike - Regarding water, it probably doesn't sound too bad, but bearing in mind my pack weighed 18-20kg setting off and about 8kg of that was water, then my husband was carrying a similar amount... We're thinking it might be a good idea to get a water filter for next time.

Visibility was fine. The long grasses were a bit of an issue at times, though. As for where we got lost, it's hard to say. There is a point at which we think we should have crossed a stream but didn't, then we came back down again, crossed the stream/river but missed the path again. We basically started off trying to follow the stream the whole way up, having misunderstood the article with the route.

Post edited at 14:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...