GPX data question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 13 Oct 2020

Does anyone know if GPX data includes the start and end points, and therefore the direction of travel.

Tried to use a Viewranger map an an Apple watch, and it just kept crashing and disappearing and needing reloading. Eventually gave up. Only thing I can think of is that I was going in the opposite direction to the arrows I could see on the route.

deepsoup 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Fredt:

In its raw form its just a list of times and coordinates - where you were at each moment recorded, and when.  (With the option to include extra bits of data, snippets of text, heart rates and so on.)  So direction of travel is implicit in that.

DancingOnRock 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Fredt:

The track points are listed in order. If you’ve created the route using mapping software there will be no time stamps. 

I would have thought there should be a reverse route on the watch. Otherwise maybe if you’re starting at the bottom track point it just thinks you’ve finished the route?

Maybe the GPX file you created has some other data type in it that Apple doesn’t understand. 

DancingOnRock 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Fredt:

You did have your phone connected via Bluetooth at the time? Looks like the phone does all the work and the watch is a terminal. 

OP Fredt 13 Oct 2020
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Viewranger has the option to save the route, (somebody elses route downloaded from Viewranger website) on to the watch and it is not necessary to take the phone.

This has worked for me previously, but not on this route where I went in the opposite direction.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...