Glyder Fach or Fawr summit difficulty climbing rocks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 04 Jan 2022

Planning on running the Welsh 3000s this year, and I remember the last two times I've been up Glyder Fach (or Fawr, I can't remember which one it is) the summit is a horrendous pile of huge boulders that felt quite scary in the wind and rain. 

Last time I hiked up there, we (probably foolishly) carefully clambered our way up to the top to just touch the highest stone, then found it took another 10 minutes to carefully clamber back down, all whilst looking down the several metre drops to the little gaps between the boulders.

Is this the actual summit? The "top of the pile of rocks", or have I mistook it? When people run the Welsh 3000s do they actually climb up all that? It felt so dangerous and took so long! Unless I've missed an easy way to climb up it that I didn't find that day.

Thanks 

Sean Kelly 04 Jan 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

Yes, Glyder Fach. Translates are little pile of stones. But should be OK when dry.

lpretro1 04 Jan 2022

It is rocky/bouldery but it isn't inherently 'dangerous' - hundreds of walkers/runners go up there - just have to take your time. It is all part of the mountain running experience. If you aren't used to mountain terrain perhaps try a few runs on less lofty hills. Fatigue is the biggest issue when tackling the 3000s when you start to lose focus on where you are putting your feet and of course take even more care when wet

Glyn Davidson 04 Jan 2022

Hi Elliot, we do a guided Welsh 3,000s run if that interests you?

More info is available here: https://climbwales.co.uk/activities/guided-mountain-walks/welsh-3000s.php

Best wishes,

Glyn

Dave the Rave 04 Jan 2022

Are you mistaking the summits for Castell y Gwynt, which is nearerFach but in between the two summits? It’s a noticeable peak.

If you clambered over that well done.

The route from Fawr handrails the northern edge then when you see Gwynt you descend to your right but still have to clamber some boulders to regain the ‘ridge’ and onto Fach and the Cantilever Stone.

T38 04 Jan 2022

The southern summit is Glyder Fach and is topped with various big piles of rock such as the cantilever and castel y gwynt (this is probably the one you remember). 

The nothern summit is Glyder Fawr and has various piles of rock any of which could be the summit. This one is easier to walk across. 

Both summits are linked by a grassy shoulder/col. 

Hope that helps. 

static266 04 Jan 2022

Yes you’re right, the summit is the big pile of boulders just under 100m west of the cantilever. From memory the easiest line to the top boulder is from the east side but yes can be a bit awkward descending in the wet. I’d hazard a guess that a large proportion of people don’t visit the high point or even realise where it is, for example other comments here questioning whether you’re thinking of Castell y Gwynt or the cantilever. 

CLYoung 05 Jan 2022
In reply to static266:

Agree. I've only been to the summit of Glyder Fach once. My eldest and I first tried approaching from the west (as we were coming from Castell y Gwynt, which we'd failed to reach the top of) and we couldn't find our way to the top. We then tried from the eastern side, eldest had a dizzy spell and hat to sit down but a friendly stranger gave me a hand up to the highest point. Don't think I'd have managed it without their help, we were right next to the big drop to the north.

If I get a chance to have another go at Castell y Gwynt I'll try that from the eastern side too this time, it looked like it might be easier but time was getting on so we pressed on to Glyder Fach. Glyder Fawr by comparison had been much easier earlier in the afternoon.

OP elliot.baker 05 Jan 2022
In reply to CLYoung:

Thanks all really helpful. I was aware of Castell y Gwynt but I believe that doesn't count as a peak in it's own right, does it? So you don't need to tick that off in the 3000s.

I'll have another practice go before I do it anyway, though I have been up there 5+ times I think so I'm not too worried by it.

Expect a lot more Welsh 3000s questions in the coming months. 😅

GrahamD 05 Jan 2022

Castle of the Winds isn't on the 3000s list but maybe should be since that boggy forgettable lump on Carnedds was added to make 15. 

Dave the Rave 05 Jan 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

This is intriguing. I’ve never considered Castell Y Gwynt to be the summit of Glyder Fach, or a true summit at all, just a rocky Tor.

Watching with interest.

Bulls Crack 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Dave the Rave:

It's a spot height (972m) on the OS but lower than Glyder Fach at 994m  - can't see it qualifying for any separate summit criteria! 

elliptic 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Dave the Rave:

It's certainly not the top of Glyder Fach. A few people seem to count it as a 16th 3000er but to me it's just a pile of boulders, not in any way independent of Glyder Fach itself.

Garnedd Uchaf (or whatever it's called now) does at least possess a decent and definable area of hill to be the summit of, uninspiring as it is...

Dave the Rave 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I’m with you and other posters above may be misguided in thinking Castell y Gwynt is the summit of glyder fach?

static266 06 Jan 2022
In reply to elliptic:

You’re right I don’t think many at all count it. Castell y Gwynt is a Nutall with prominence of 16m but Carnedd Gwenllian is a Hewitt with prominence of 33m so fits in with the independent mountain theme better. 

It would be interesting to watch on a busy summers day the percentage that actually visit the high point of Glyder Fach. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...