Glen Feshie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pamph 10 Jun 2020

Once we are allowed back into the hills I am planning to head down Glen Feshie on my bike to do the two remote hills to the south (An Sgarsoch and Cairn an Fhidleir). It's years since I was down that way and last time I seem to remember the track being washed away in the glen about three or four kilometers south of the bothy and quite difficult to negotiate. Does any one know if is it still that way, or is the track cyclable now?

DaveHK 10 Jun 2020
In reply to pamph:

It was still washed out last summer when I rode through. Not sure that's particular useful for you, I'm sure someone else can give you more up to date info.

I got the bike through but it did involve a bit of manhandling.

Post edited at 09:31
OP pamph 10 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks for that Dave, if you still got through with some manhandling I may attempt it myself.

rif 10 Jun 2020
In reply to pamph:

If the river is low, you can reach the top of the glen by starting on the west bank road until just past Carnachuin, then take the estate track that runs between the Lodge and the river. Fork left after a mile or so and continue up the true left bank of the river into the narrow glacial breach. The track then crosses a shallow ford to the true right bank, then crosses twice more to avoid the washed-out bit of the path. Easy to see on the OS air photos which are free to access on the osmaps website. Disclaimer: I haven't been up there for 2-3 years so don't know the current state of affairs.

Rob F

65 10 Jun 2020
In reply to pamph:

I rode through there about three years ago and had to cross the river a couple of times. This was at the end of a long dry spell but it was still knee deep. I've done those hills by riding in from Linn of Dee, straightforward and not a particularly long day.

Rick Graham 10 Jun 2020
In reply to rif:

That sounds about right but not got maps accessible ATM. Been there a few times between 2006 and 2015.

On the east side a section of bank was washed away pre 2006. Just needed to push the bike a 100 metres or so.

What nobody has highlighted is the missing bridge near the end of the tarmac on the west side , washed away late 2016?

So either follow east bank all the way or west bank then ford over .

leon 1 10 Jun 2020
In reply to pamph: I came up the E bank last May It wasnt too bad at all except for a 10 min bugger of a struggle manhandling the bike up through the trees to avoid the washed away section. Could be more interesting now as there wont have been many people battering their way through it

Post edited at 10:27
 Eddie Dealtry 10 Jun 2020
In reply to pamph:

Feb 2019: crossed to E side over the Pony Br and down to the bothy on a bike with panniers.  Flood damage alternatives indicated by boulders across the old path that would lead to a drop. Just about managed pushing bike with panniers loaded up into wood at one part but otherwise fast.  Visited the upper glen by foot. I'd say E side cyclable.

skog 10 Jun 2020
In reply to pamph:

Glen Feshie's gorgeous, and perhaps you specifically want to go in that way - but as an alternative, these hills are easier to reach cycling in from the Linn of Dee to Geldie Lodge.

There's the Glen Tilt to Tarf option too, but it's a bit longer.

The Glen Feshie approach is the most beautiful one, though.

Sean Kelly 10 Jun 2020
In reply to skog:

Yes, I did it from Geldie Lodge too with the bike and it was quite an easy ascent. The bike gobbled up the miles. No problems with the crossing of the Geldie burn which is where you dump your bike. But I did have lovely weather for a change!

Originally tried to do those two by going up Glen Feshie in winter (January) but the day was too short, my companions not up to such a long day, and the track was very rocky and deep snow drifts higher up the glen. Turned back just short of the first peak. What a difference a day makes!

Post edited at 10:50
 skog 10 Jun 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Dammit, I so miss being out in the hills, properly. I feel like the better part of me has been torn off.

Harry Jarvis 10 Jun 2020
In reply to 65:

> I rode through there about three years ago and had to cross the river a couple of times. This was at the end of a long dry spell but it was still knee deep. I've done those hills by riding in from Linn of Dee, straightforward and not a particularly long day.

I've also done these two hills from Linn of Dee. Leave the bikes at Geldie Lodge. I think it was that day that I saw the biggest herd of deer I've ever seen on the slopes of An Sgarsoch. 

kwoods 10 Jun 2020
In reply to pamph:

Did the Feshie approach on a really long hot day last June. Hadn't researched the glen tracks and stayed on the Ruigh Aiteachan side. Regretted that; carried the bike a lot and dumped it after a km or two.

All I remember was just stay on the west bank as long as you can where there are great tracks. Eventually you're forced to cross the river, probably worth it if possible as the tracks are all good in that case (and if I remember right you should be able to get a bike much further up the glen) 

OP pamph 10 Jun 2020
In reply to kwoods:

Thanks to all who have answered my question, and to those suggesting the route to the hills from the south, I have done that route by bike about 25 years ago as well! I am planning doing those particular hills as an antidote to the lock down; it will be great to get see some big space for a change! Although I only live about an hour and a half's drive from Glen Feshie it is a long time since I ventured there. I think I'll just go for it once we're allowed out.

DaveHK 15 Jun 2020
In reply to pamph:

Just found this, the washed out bit last August:

rif 15 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Isn't that the Allt Garbhlach confluence, though? I took the OP to be referring to the longstanding mauvais pas at NN 862 901: see https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/56.98806,-3.87385,18

Rob F

In reply to rif:

> Isn't that the Allt Garbhlach confluence, though?

It is. Was there in early March, and there was still stuff falling off it continuously. Coming from the north, you'd need to take care on a bike, as the path turns right, and runs downhill, and then suddenly drops into the river now. Thought at the time that you could easily miss the drop, whilst trying to concentrate on negotiating the rock steps. Getting a bike down the new 'path' would be tricky, but probably doable (remove panniers). Thereafter, crossing the Allt Garbhlach wouldn't be too bad, with a bit of fun and games through undergrowth for about 100m on the other side before you're back on a good path. The bothy has recently been renovated, and is lovely...

Post edited at 17:02
 DaveHK 15 Jun 2020
In reply to rif:

> Isn't that the Allt Garbhlach confluence, though? I took the OP to be referring to the longstanding mauvais pas at NN 862 901: see https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/56.98806,-3.87385,18

> Rob F

Yes, I hadn't clocked that the OP was talking about a different bit.

Rick Graham 15 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

So two washouts, both bypassable on a bike. 850954+862901

What about Carnachuin bridge at 846938? Just north of the bothy and the lodge.

Post edited at 18:18
 DaveHK 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

I think that's still there but I went up the east side of the river. I don't actually remember any issues South of the bothy.

Edit. Actually there was a bit South of the bothy where I had to cross a river and although it was easy I was glad it wasn't too much higher. I'm a crap witness amn't I?

Post edited at 19:06
 OwenM 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

> So two washouts, both bypassable on a bike. 850954+862901

> What about Carnachuin bridge at 846938? Just north of the bothy and the lodge.

That's long gone. There's a ford at NN 846920 where the jeep track crosses. Where the two fords are at NN 862901 there is a bypass path on the east side. It's not obvious when coming from the Auchlean side.   

DaveHK 15 Jun 2020
In reply to OwenM:

> That's long gone. 

My god my memory is shit, I should just stop commenting on these things. I thought it had been rebuilt when I went through last summer but I'm reliably informed it hasn't been. Partly because the estate were worried about it making access to the bothy easier. Last summer I camped outside the bothy and only sat inside for dinner and a brew because it was rammed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...