Gear query for first-time visitors to Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phil_Warsaw 19 May 2018

And a first post in this forum, too. My wife and I are looking to visit the north of Scotland in mid-July, driving around the North Coast 500 route and getting some decent hikes in, too.  I'd appreciate some feedback as to whether we'd be making a rod for our own backs if we were essentially to use what we use here in Poland, namely trail running shoes, shorts/leggings and rainskirts/ponchos as opposed to more sturdy boots and jacket.

This set-up has served us well in what I believe are similar climatic conditions (Swedish Artic, Carpathians) but I just get the feeling that Scotland could be a little different!

Obviously we would pack the requisite layering, my question is more to the inevitable H
2O issues. Advice welcomed! Thanks.

In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

Trail shoes are fine if that's what you're used to. 

Weather varies a lot. Could be uncomfortably hot, or else cold, wet and miserable, often on the same afternoon! Take a variety of clothing. 

The one big concern can be the local insect population - ticks are very common in some areas so shorts might increase your risks, and midges can be a big problem too (to the extent that in some places you don't just wear long trousers/sleeves but gloves, head net, face mask etc on summer evenings). 

Removed User 21 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

Scotland can be very windy as well as wet. Ponchos in the wind are a liablilty. Bring a good waterproof jacket.

gravy 21 May 2018
In reply to Removed Userrabthecairnterrier:

Possible wetter underfoot than you want unless the weather is dry.

Note the advice about midges - if the weather is still and humid you'll need to breath through your teeth and arrange a blood transfusion unless you're prepared!

Bob Aitken 21 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

Trail shoes will generally be fine, logically enough, if you plan to walk mainly on paths and trails.  You may find them less satisfactory if you want to explore more widely, when you may get into blocky boulder scree, rough tussock, and some very wet ground.

As already suggested, ponchos can be not just ineffective but a positive liability in the very wet and windy blustery conditions you may experience any day on the Scottish hills.  At least one Scottish walk-guiding company used to warn that ponchos were not regarded as adequate rain gear and that clients arriving only with ponchos would be required to buy a closer-fitting jacket.

Hope you have a great time. 

Rigid Raider 21 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

In July the weather could be quite warm but overcast and humid, which is exactly the conditions that the Scottish midge loves. Read up on the midge; plenty has been written about them. For good reason some people call them the Caledonian Luftwaffe. 

Bright, sunny, breezy weather is what midges hate but you can get quite sunburned and dehydrated. Carry swimming kit and a towel.

Dauphin 21 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

Very wet underfoot often in far N.W. and also paths are often barely existing - i.e. a line of footmarks through a very wet bog.  Gaiters for trail runners to keep out the shite and a spare pair of socks if you don't mind your feet getting wet for most of day - or between the tree line and the Montane zone.

D

AlH 21 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

What everyone else said about ponchos... rarely effective in Scotland owing to wind and blustery conditions.

Flinticus 21 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

Baggy trousers are better than shorts. They'll keep your legs cool but ward off ticks and midges. I use a pair of Moon bouldering trousers. Quick drying too.

I bring a balaclava with me and have recently added clear goggles as part of my midge protection gear. I don't like head nets. Mainly for use when not walking. Especially handy for pitching tents in the gloom of a still night...or changing a tyre...lessons learned the hard way. 

The Lemming 21 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

A midge net/hat is worth its weight in gold.

Tringa 22 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

The weather in Scotland can be very changeable. As suggested this can be within one day, or less (I had rain, sleet, flat calm, strong winds, visibility of less than 10 feet and brilliant sunshine in one August day on the Ben) or it can be longer term - days in shorts and T shirts in March and nearly a month's rain in one day in May.

There is generally no problem with water in Scotland. Others might have a different view but provided you are away from civilisation, stream water is safe to drink. In close to forty years I have never had a problem.

Midge hoods are useful but I don't fancy them when walking. DEET based insect repellents are very good but I don't like them - they numb my lips and melt plastic (not good news for glasses, binoculars and cameras). My current favoured one is 'Smidge that Midge'. Not quite as good as DEET based ones but still effective and with none of the nasty effects.

Dave

Rigid Raider 22 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

You may be wondering why everybody is warning you about midges. Do not ignore the warnings. I heard recently about a bunch of US Marines or similar ruffy-tuffy types who joined some kind of endurance event in Scotland and were seen to be sniggering at the midge nets and insect repellent the other competitors were deploying around themselves. Apparently within half an hour they were begging the other competitors to give them a net or some repellent.

DEET is the most effective repellent but it is readily absorbed and comes out in your urine for 48 hours afterwards. There is a product called Skin-so-Soft made by Avon that has been found to work. Avon would love to discontinue it because the perfume is an old-fashioned green herbal fougere in the area of Brut but the sales are so good that they can't drop it. I believe it works by confusing the midges, which rely on odour and exhaled CO2 to find the victims they need to bite, to get blood, to reproduce. Around camp, burning mosquito coils outside the tent entrance helps greatly but inhaling the smoke inside a tent will give you bronchitis. 

Scotland can give you some wonderful opportunities for wild swimming so do carry swimmers. When it's wet it will be warm and humid so invest in a well-fitting breathable waterproof. As written above, fast-moving stream water is fine to drink so all you need to do is make sure you fill your bottles occasionally. No beaver fever in Scotland!

Flinticus 22 May 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> You may be wondering why everybody is warning you about midges. Do not ignore the warnings. I heard recently about a bunch of US Marines or similar ruffy-tuffy types who joined some kind of endurance event in Scotland and were seen to be sniggering at the midge nets and insect repellent the other competitors were deploying around themselves. Apparently within half an hour they were begging the other competitors to give them a net or some repellent.

This above needs to be grasped firmly. A midge cloud can send me into a frenzied 'panic'. I will run from them. Attraction seems to vary from person to person and I am apparently well liked by them. I know of one couple where one is the 'great attractor' and the other, as a consequence, less bothered by them.

In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

As others have said, insects are by far your biggest worry. This article from the archives might be handy:

How to Survive a Midge Attack https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/skills/how_to_survive_a_midge_attack...

Removed User 22 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw:

While I agree with pretty much everything that has been posted above, you have to be prepared for the possibility of stunning weather in which case the trip will be awesome.

The midgies are bastards though.  

markk 22 May 2018
In reply to Phil_Warsaw: to give you an idea of the ferocity of midges in case you've not previously had the pleasure:  youtube.com/watch?v=WzUlj6eTehA&

Phil_Warsaw 23 May 2018

Guys, thanks so much for the info. I was aware of the issue of midges beforehand, but am now certainly under no illusion as to how adversely they could affect the trip so cheers for spelling it out! I had already come across the Smidge substances and products online and will be mostly going with that, with a DEET backup/supplement as well as a net. I don't find the nets that bad, actually, and they were a god-send in northern Sweden last year; I may get a midge-specific one from the Smidge website, though, given the miniscule size of the buggers. I'll stick to my trail runners, then, but throw the chunkier boots in the car just in case. I like using these SilNylon rainskirts, so I think I'll stick with that over a pair of convertible trousers which means I'll be able to dry out the lower legs (fairly) quickly and look to use a closer-fitting rain/wind barrier for the upper-body. Glad I didn't have coffee in my gob when I read the phrase Caledonain Luftwaffe! Thanks again.

Post edited at 06:43
In reply to markk:

Good grief- cold sweat just watching that!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...