Fracas on Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 01 Sep 2020

Seems there was a bit of an upset when a queue jumper did just that on Snowdon yesterday.

Whats the veiw of the forum if you come up from the opposite side are you supposed to walk down the Llanberis path to join a queue of what looks like hundreds of baying "join the Queue's"

In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

Lol, the news reports of them “going up the summit the wrong way”! 

Bonkers situation- to be fair I reckon if I got anywhere and it was that busy I wouldn’t bother hanging around for the summit. Stuff queuing for an hour. 

Chris_Mellor 01 Sep 2020

Well capoap this screams out for a "FFS" response. People reportedly queuing for an hour to stand by the summit trip point; FFS! A fight at the summit - FFS! The dratted mountain is full up, over full, on popular weekends. Never mind parking restrictions - perhaps we need walker restrictions, tickets for the summit, alternate daily walking route closures, and banning railway-borne visitors.

It's just too easy to get to the summit. Rip out the signpost stones. Tear down the stepped staircases up the scree slopes. Demolish the eyesore of a cafe. Have snipers randomly shoot walkers. Put the head of the Snowdonia National Park Authority in the stocks at the Nant Peris park and ride site. It's become a bleedin' farce.

Red Rover 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

Or, keep Snowdon busy to protect the other mountains! A similar thing happens unofficially in caving, where some caves are 'sacrificial' to protect more delicate caves. 

ChrisBrooke 01 Sep 2020

Hilarious and/or sad, take your pick. Haven't been up Mount Snowden for years, but I seem to recall it wasn't that busy but I still didn't bother to climb the last steps to the trig-point. I must lack the killer instinct. 

druridge 01 Sep 2020

We need more folk to start a list of 'hills I have nearly been to the top of'

Slarti B 01 Sep 2020
In reply to druridge:

Was it something similar that stopped Joe Brown getting to the top of Kanchenjunga?

MonkeyPuzzle 01 Sep 2020

Extreme Queuing was always the sport we as a nation were destined to create. Hopefully Red Bull can lend their support and really get this off the ground.

Blunderbuss 01 Sep 2020

Hahahahaha......wtf 😂

Nempnett Thrubwell 01 Sep 2020

This is crying out for an enterprising someone to don a hi-viz, get to the top before dawn and set up a charging system to get to the trig-point - a la the Bristol zoo car parking urban myth.

Removed User 01 Sep 2020

I have to say the last time I went up was when Bonnington took the Olympic torch up on the train.

At least i walked/scrambled up via Clogwyn Y Person   It was a bloody diesel engine too !!!!

Fruit 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Jim Perrin described it as a sacrificial mountain in the 1980s in one of his enjoyable and provocative articles. Prescient.

greg_may_ 01 Sep 2020

I ran up and past the top on Saturday coming "the wrong way" on leg 5 of the PB round.  Line was at least 30 minutes long.  While running past I got abuse for "going to fast" and "there is a que". 

Amused me for quite a while

Bacon Butty 01 Sep 2020

I only ever go anywhere near 'popular' mid week, precisely because of bollocks like this.

All the result of the over promotion of the British great outdoors.

kaiser 01 Sep 2020

They are not 2m apart...

DancingOnRock 01 Sep 2020

It’s usually very quiet after 6pm. 

Steve Woollard 01 Sep 2020

I've always jumped the queue and gone straight to the summit, no one has dared to challenge me  LOL

mysterion 01 Sep 2020

I once caught up a small queue of people making tediously slow progress down the Llanberis path and got dirty looks just for overtaking them. Almost as nuts as the people I saw walking down backwards because it was so steep.

Post edited at 21:57
 girlymonkey 01 Sep 2020

I'm baffled that people would queue to get to a summit! However, I feel there is a game to be had in arriving at summits "the wrong way"! Which other summits (in the uk) do people queue for? 

Wainers44 01 Sep 2020

Is this wild queuing?

wercat 01 Sep 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

the inn pinn?

Myfyr Tomos 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Wild? Some of them were livid!

Robert Durran 01 Sep 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I'm baffled that people would queue to get to a summit! However, I feel there is a game to be had in arriving at summits "the wrong way"! Which other summits (in the uk) do people queue for? 

I assume it is all because people want to take a selfie at the trig point without other people in it. There is no reason why people couldn't be approaching the summit from different directions at the same time - an absolute nonsense.  

Donotello 02 Sep 2020

To be fair we’ve all queued for Trad routes on a sunny bank holiday weekend.

Imagine if someone tried to jump the queue then. 

Post edited at 00:00
 GrahamD 02 Sep 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I'm baffled that people would queue to get to a summit! However, I feel there is a game to be had in arriving at summits "the wrong way"! Which other summits (in the uk) do people queue for? 

Maybe for some people, getting up Snowdon is a REALLY significant achievement? Fair play to 'em.  It's not as though you need to queue with them.

I mean, what are all the sneering, ridiculing 'proper' mountaineers doing on Snowdon at busy time, anyway ?

SFM 02 Sep 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I’ve seen folk queuing on Pen-y-Fan before. Definitely seems to be a photo thing though.

Trangia 02 Sep 2020

I'm confused having conquered Mount Snowdon over 50 times in the last 60 years by pretty well every route up it. What is the "right" way up? Have I inadvertently climbed it the "wrong" way in my career? 

Is there a "right" and "wrong" way up Mount Scafell Pike and Mount Ben Nevis? I understand, however" there is queuing on Mount Everest these days so obviously things are changing. 

Tringa 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Nempnett Thrubwell:

> This is crying out for an enterprising someone to don a hi-viz, get to the top before dawn and set up a charging system to get to the trig-point - a la the Bristol zoo car parking urban myth.

Yes, and there could be variable charging to allow for Speedy Summiting, like speedy boarding with airlines.

Dave

girlymonkey 02 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

I think the sneering is maybe more at the social media/ selfie culture. People wouldn't need to queue if they didn't need so much time to get their perfect profile picture! If people just want to reach the top, have a look at the view and feel pleased with themselves then that's fine. You can do that with someone else next to you and people passing you "the wrong way" would not cause any problems!!

wercat 02 Sep 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

where's the entitlement in that?

GrahamD 02 Sep 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

I don't know.  Sharing this sort of achievement with your mates is important to some people, just as keeping a climbing log book is important to some people.  It's not as though they are pimping for sponsors.

DancingOnRock 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Trangia:

There are narrow steps up to the trig point at the very top that make it difficult to pass other people. It’s a lot quicker if people go up one set of steps and down the other. Which I’m sure you know if you’ve been up there 50times. 

Dom Brown 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

This is a really interesting theory I've heard before and I tend to agree with in concept. it's just a shame that as well as the usual routes, there are some bloody good routes up snowdon.

summo 02 Sep 2020

It's more a sign of the times and the average standard of fitness in society, where a few hours walk is now considered to be some superior achievement worth shouting about. 

Graeme G 02 Sep 2020

I blame Brexit. Queue jumping was never an issue when we were in Europe. 

3 Names 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Wild? Some of them were livid!

ah ha! Gerald the talking Gorrilla.

Chris H 02 Sep 2020

Probably #vanshitters

guffers_hump 02 Sep 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Down at Pen y Fan doing the circular route on a sunny May bank holiday and people were queuing for 25 mins for a pic at the top of it. Madness!

guffers_hump 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Tringa:

ahh trust us to bring in a class system for scaling summets.

Robert Durran 02 Sep 2020
In reply to 3 Names:

> ah ha! Gerald the talking Gorrilla.

If I might just butt in there...…….. as Aristotle said...….

Robert Durran 02 Sep 2020
In reply to guffers_hump:

> Down at Pen y Fan doing the circular route on a sunny May bank holiday and people were queuing for 25 mins for a pic at the top of it. Madness!

If this is the future in a dystopian  Instagram world, then I think the answer is just to start a separate queue for those who don't need a carefully composed selfie.

guffers_hump 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes, luckily bagging the top of Pen Y Fan is relatively easy even when busy as its flat. Plenty of better places to take sweet instagram shots. But gotta have a pic with the sign I suppose. Haven't done it if you don't post it on instagram.

Maybe we should reduce the amount of permits issued to stop people with no high altitude experience being led up Snowdon. 

peppermill 02 Sep 2020

> Well capoap this screams out for a "FFS" response. People reportedly queuing for an hour to stand by the summit trip point; FFS! A fight at the summit - FFS! The dratted mountain is full up, over full, on popular weekends. Never mind parking restrictions - perhaps we need walker restrictions, tickets for the summit, alternate daily walking route closures, and banning railway-borne visitors.

> It's just too easy to get to the summit. Rip out the signpost stones. Tear down the stepped staircases up the scree slopes. Demolish the eyesore of a cafe. Have snipers randomly shoot walkers. Put the head of the Snowdonia National Park Authority in the stocks at the Nant Peris park and ride site. It's become a bleedin' farce.

Chill dude. Keeps 'em all in one place ;p

Alkis 03 Sep 2020

I saw this earlier:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/30/venice-cotswolds-village-says-overrun-touris...

Together with everyone descending on the beaches as well, I feel that the chaos everywhere is just because of Covid-19. People cannot go elsewhere so they have flooded every beautiful spot in the country, all at the same time.

Wainers44 03 Sep 2020
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Maybe we should reduce the amount of permits issued to stop people with no high altitude experience being led up Snowdon. 

Or put 50% of the Llanberis sherpas on furlough?

DancingOnRock 03 Sep 2020

I don’t really see this as a big problem. 

British people 

1. Love to queue.

2. Love to complain about other people breaking rules. 

3. Love a good punch up. 

Seems to me like they all had a great day out. 

In reply to Tringa:

> Yes, and there could be variable charging to allow for Speedy Summiting, like speedy boarding with airlines.

Just flash a BMC membership card and tell them you are a frequent walker.

squarepeg 03 Sep 2020

Genuinely laughing out loud at some of these replies, what do you think you are doing, being humourous on here? Repent! 

bowls 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

You didn't tell me you were friends with Raymond?

MoggaLad 04 Sep 2020

Or none of that- let them have Snowdon, leave the rest of the national park for us to enjoy away form the flip-flopped masses.

At least SAR know where to find them? 

Webster 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

> I blame Brexit. Queue jumping was never an issue when we were in Europe. 

on the contrary, protecting the great British queue is one of the reasons for leaving the pesky europeans to their own devices, have you never been skiing in france?!

GrahamD 04 Sep 2020
In reply to MoggaLad:

Fair play to anyone who walks up Snowdon in flip flops.

Thunderbird7 04 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Its coming down again that hurts. Hate the thong pulling between my toes on the downslope.

In reply to Thunderbird7:

> Hate the thong pulling between my toes on the downslope.

Flip-flops and a thong? Extreme...

I'd suggest sorting your underwear out after taking a summit shit, though; will stop it getting tangled up in your toes...

Thunderbird7 04 Sep 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

I'm all fingers and toes when I get in a panic..

Neil Williams 04 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Fair play to anyone who walks up Snowdon in flip flops.

If you went up the Llanberis path it'd hardly be difficult, to be fair.

French Erick 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> To be fair we’ve all queued for Trad routes on a sunny bank holiday weekend.

> Imagine if someone tried to jump the queue then. 

Absolutely nae chance of that!!! Ever, the climb is taken, I’ll go for something else or arrange to be there first! 
I do however recall trying to scale the old man of Hoy via the E2 route on the S face ( I think?). By the time I reached the belay of that traverse and almost pulled out every single hold. A quick look up showing more of the same, I reversed my lead back to the belay to find we were just on time to get up the route!!! 😂

jcw 05 Sep 2020

Interesting. I hadn’t realized Snowdon had a “summit“. I suppose I must have walked over it without realizing. 

Chris Sansum 05 Sep 2020

They need to make the paths more dangerous. It would keep a few of the the riff raff away...

Andy Gamisou 05 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Fair play to anyone who walks up Snowdon in flip flops.

Oh I don't know - I've managed to climb F5a in flip flops.

GrahamD 05 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> Oh I don't know - I've managed to climb F5a in flip flops.

Come on, a 10m route hardly compares with a 1000m plus mountain. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...