First hill once we can walk again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gav_92 01 May 2020

Been sat in lockdown with a lot of time to think and dream so was wondering what everyone's first hill will be after lockdown is lifted and its safe/acceptable to access the hills again

Mine will be either sgurr na stri or foinavon weather permitting, been meaning to do both for over a year now and just never motivated myself to do either 

In reply to Gav_92:

Here are a few ideas from a number of regular UKH contributors:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/features/ive_never_climbed-12693

Personally I'll probably try to head somewhere off the beaten track and unpopular at first, since all the usual suspects are bound to be mobbed when the restrictions are lifted. Then again it would be nice to see a load of cheery faces outdoors after all this isolation.

Robert Durran 01 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

I suspect that we will have to stay relatively local at first. I can't see the freedom to drive anywhere happening just like that.

Stairclimber 01 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

No contest for me! Living in France, the relaxation of restrictions is imminent after our sorties for exercise have been limited to a daily, 'certificated' hour near home. I have been heading up the hilly terrain from home and been forced to turn back to stay within the prescribed limits. I can't wait to get all the way up to the Col du Granon, whether on foot or bicycle. The chance to do it on skis this year has passed although it is actually snowing above 2000m at the moment. After that the dizzy summit of the Grand Area awaits, as this is the summit I've touched most often, even including my ascents of Snowden!

Dream on folks.

ScraggyGoat 01 May 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Agree - I can't see widespread travel to any or all corners of the UK being allowed initially, and I fear we have to get past a lot of parochial nimbism and vested interest aggravation once travel is appropriate/allowed. Plus we haven't really got a definatitive solution to prevent infection rates rising.

Post edited at 13:37
 Robert Durran 01 May 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> Agree - I can't see widespread travel to any or all corners of the UK being allowed initially, and I fear we have to get past a lot of parochial nimbism and vested interest aggravation once travel is appropriate/allowed. 

It is going to be frustrating being allowed to go to a busy local hill, but not allowed to drive somewhere, go up some deserted hills and drive home without coming near anybody else.

Doug 01 May 2020
In reply to Stairclimber:

likewise, I want to continue one of my usual walks to go more than part way up the hill above our village, either to the lower summit (circa 2000m) or to the main summit (circa 2500). Then go to one of hills or cols higher up the valley. But I suspect all my efforts to get fit by XC skiing over the winter will have been lost & I'll be very unfit

graeme jackson 01 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

Depends when the lockdown ends. If it's before July I have a cottage in skipton booked so it'll quite likely be Pen Y Ghent  but if I miss that then I'll most likely have a wander up tinto

Rob Exile Ward 01 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

Depending on midges, ticks, and lockdown rules... Backpacking  in mid-Wales seems like a good place to start.

lone 01 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

The Beacons are 20 mins away so it'll be up the beautiful wild and quiet Cwm Crew and down the Cefn Crew ridge. It's very peaceful and interesting, bio and geo wise down by the river. I usually go in the evening so I have the sunset on the way down

L

andrew ogilvie 01 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

It'll be and Arrochar alp or Beinn Dubhcraig for me. Late in the evening I think I might even treat myself to the millionaires car park for the Cobbler.

colinakmc 01 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

When we’re allowed that far afield, the NE ridge of Sgurr an Lochan Uaine beckons. But at my age I’ll have to build up my stamina so I’ll most likely be found amongst the Perthshire or Arrochar Corbett (to avoid aforementioned overcrowding)

AukWalk 19 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

I think it does depend a bit how things look with access, but I'm imagining Wales might stay closed for a bit longer than England and overnight stays might still be frowned upon for a while. With that in mind and trying to avoid the more popular locations I've been wondering about a walk round Gragareth / Great Coum in the Eastern Yorkshire Dales.

Then once the Lakes are a goer and more popular places acceptable it'll be Scafell from Langdale. When Snowdonia opens maybe around Carnedd Llewellyn (from the North East).

Then when overnights are OK a week in Scotland somewhere remote like around Glen Shiel or Assynt, which I've never been to.

Can't wait. 

fmck 19 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

I live on the West coast of Scotland. Its not a mountainous area just moorland hills. Oddly enough I last did a hill last May 2019 but since lockdown I have done a hill each day. Started with the one across the road from me each day  Not big but stunning coastal panarama. Moved onto the surrounding hills. I used to run over these hills and maybe see a farmer at the most. My village has got right into hillwalking the area. The other day I counted 17 people up there but very easy for everyone to keep their distance. Never seen that before.

pec 19 May 2020
In reply to Gav_92:

I've been walking up hills all through lockdown, just ones local to me on the sandstone ridge of mid Cheshire but that doesn't really count.

On Saturday I went up Bellbeaver Rigg, Viewing Hill and Three Pikes in The North Pennines as I resumed my round of the English Nuttalls (only 16 to go now).

Not mountains of any great grandeur, but about as socially distant as you can get in England.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...