Endurance nutrition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Prompted by a current thread about backpacking food, I wondered what endurance athletes consume. For something like the Wainwrights round or the Spine Race what do they eat? I should note that this is an armchair question, I am in total awe of achievements that I can hardly comprehend!

Post edited at 19:31
 DaveHK 25 Jun 2021
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Whatever they can keep down!

Not that I've done either of those things but variety of food and proper food rather than just sugary shit seems to be important. Roast potatoes or boiled ones tossed in olive oil and salt seem to be a winner.

When I did my Ramsay Round I thought I'd have a craving for something savoury at the supply points so I had Tupperwares of a chickpea curry I'd made at both points. Didn't touch any of it. When I tried the Paddy Buckley I stashed food at the road crossings and included tins of minestrone soup for the same reason but didn't touch that either. However, I think it was a good strategy as you just don't know what you'll want over a 24 hour period and I'm sure multi day runs are different again. 

Post edited at 20:13
 echo34 25 Jun 2021

Salty roast potatoes are good cut into small cubes. 

Forest Dump 25 Jun 2021

In one of the round films Nicky Spink is seen tucking into fish n chips

greg_may_ 25 Jun 2021

No easy answer to this. Short version - at endurance pace, true endurance pace, it doesn't matter - once your stomach can process it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...