Druim Tarsuinn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 13 Nov 2018

What's the river / burn like in Cona Glen? Approaching from Callop. I would need to cross it once (potential plan on doing west to east route over the ridge). The OS map indicates a ford at NM 905736. While the weekend forecast looks good at the weekend, a lot of rain tomorrow and some Thursday. 

Ta

Simon Caldwell 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I can't answer your question, but that ford is over the side stream isn't it?

Mike-W-99 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I've crossed around about there but to be honest don't remember much about it. It was August a few years ago and looking at the pictures the burn looked a reasonable width. 

I'm sure Simon is correct in that the ford marked on the map is the tributary.

petestack 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Don't know what it'll be like now, but can tell you I've previously crossed no bother at approximately NM 899739:

http://www.petestack.com/blog/calloping-corbetts.html

ScraggyGoat 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Crossed there previously, don't remember anything about it. If you undertook your route so that the crossing was On the way back to Callop, the river would have had two days or possibly three days to drop from tomorrow's heavy rain, so unlikely to be a problem.  You could probably make a good guess from the streams as you walk up Callop. They are nice unfrequented hills.  I wouldn't be thinking twice about it on the current forecast.

Post edited at 19:32
OP Flinticus 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks all. 

Petestack: going to read your report. I like one where things don't go to plan!

Andy Johnson 14 Nov 2018
In reply to petestack:

Out of interest, what software did you use to create that map? I assume its from a gpx log.

petestack 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

The start point's a GPX track imported to Memory-Map, where I have custom (self-designed) icons for different peak classifications (here Corbetts, Grahams and Corbett/Graham tops) I colour in* when done. Arrows and text added to screen grab in separate graphics software (in this case Xara Photo & Graphic Designer) because it's usually easier to get what I want that way when Memory-Map's directional 'tick marks' can be skewed by momentary headings and its text features are comparatively clunky.

*Through having two sets of icons to show outline and colour.

malky_c 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Some info here...

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...

...but not much! Can't have been a big deal otherwise I'd have mentioned it, however it does look like it had been pretty dry in the preceding weeks.

petestack 14 Nov 2018
In reply to malky_c:

Ha, you took the correct line off Glas Bheinn!

OP Flinticus 15 Nov 2018
In reply to malky_c:

Ta. Hadn't realised there are two grahams there as well.

Back to the drawing board.

malky_c 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Always good to add an extra hill or two to your original plans!

OP Flinticus 15 Nov 2018
In reply to malky_c:

Eyeing up Streap as a possible alternative...have read your report on that.

petestack 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

May I also point you at...

http://www.petestack.com/blog/streap.html

?

OP Flinticus 16 Nov 2018
In reply to petestack:

Thanks

Might have to scale back my plans a bit as picked up a cold. Not fully shifted it yet but determined to get out to the area anyway. 

OP Flinticus 19 Nov 2018
In reply to malky_c:

Ended up doing the two grahams.

Still got my cold so I wasn't quite as full of joie du hill walking as normal. What's with the summit of Glas Bheinn: is it the slight rise NW of the trig? Looks that way on my viewranger map

dmhigg 19 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

I did the three Corbetts on your behalf, having been been persuaded away from solitary Beinn Bhan by a glorious morning. Druim Tarsuinn was really busy! (For a Corbett.) Stunning hills, stunning day, warm in the sun, a tad moist underfoot. 

malky_c 19 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

You can always be sure someone has checked. Apparently not - details here:

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/waypoints/download/?hillnumber=1367

OP Flinticus 19 Nov 2018
In reply to malky_c:

Just as well I did that rock too! The hardest part of summit bagging is finding the damn summit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...