Dehydrated Meals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 17 Feb 2019

Wondering which dehydrated meal brands others are using and recommend?

I have recently used Firepot  which I found pretty good but they don't have the greatest meal choice options. 

Thanks

Wainers44 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Personally I am a bit of a cynic when it comes to pre-prepared foods and rarely use them, but...

on the OMM we tried some dehydrated stuff and they actually tasted delicious. How they get so many calories into them is a bit of a mystery too - 

https://www.bewellexpeditionfoods.com/

pog100 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

I recommend Summit to Eat ... very tasty and lots of calories 

Removed User 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

I've used mountain trails for a few years. Good customer service.

www.mountaintrails.org.uk

OP Alan M 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

> Personally I am a bit of a cynic when it comes to pre-prepared foods and rarely use them, but...

> on the OMM we tried some dehydrated stuff and they actually tasted delicious. How they get so many calories into them is a bit of a mystery too - 

Same here to an extent, but thats because I remember using them about 10 years ago when it was a battle of wills to just take a bite and swallow the thing.  Since then I have always struggled with meal planning for multiday trips and usually take too much or its just heavy etc.  I used Firepot meals 2 summers ago (I think) and now think they have improved enough to warrant use, they certainly tasted like real food.

OP Alan M 17 Feb 2019
In reply to pog100:

> I recommend Summit to Eat ... very tasty and lots of calories 

Thanks will take a look.

OP Alan M 17 Feb 2019
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> I've used mountain trails for a few years. Good customer service.

> www.mountaintrails.org.uk

Thank you.  I will look at their options.

Frank R. 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Another Summit to Eat fan here... At the very least, unlike some competitors, they have a decent calories value in a single package. There's quite a difference between a bag of 600+ cals and a bag of 400+ cals for a main meal. Makes for more efficient packaging, at the very least.

Not commenting about the flavour and such, since that's very personal. Adding some pepper and spices can work wonders with any lyo food

But you might also consider making your own - although not as efficient as lyophilisation, simple dried prepared food is not that hard to make. And it can be made to your taste. Well-fed expedition member is a happy expedition member Don't underestimate the morale boost of good feeding!

In reply to Wainers44:

> How they get so many calories into them is a bit of a mystery too - 

Lots of oil/fat. Which is no bad thing exactly. I make my own rehydrated meals using reusable foil pouches and coconut oil to flavour and boost calories. Bit of trial and error and much cheaper. 

Jamie Hageman 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Yep, another vote for Summit To Eat!

Cheryl 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

I bought a dehydrator and have been making my own ever since.  Easy and cheap to do and you generally get much better food. Check out https://www.trail.recipes for ideas.

Pedro50 18 Feb 2019

Can someone explain the alchemy here of the Summit to Eat claim: 

80g of dry food + 180ml of water would weigh 260g wouldn't it? Yet the prepared weight is said to be 370g.

From the scrambled egg pack: 

POUCH WEIGHT (DRY): 80g

POUCH WEIGHT (PREPARED): 370G

AMOUNT OF WATER NEEDED: 180ml

Probably I am just being dim. 

jezb1 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Expedition Foods. Tasty and high in calories, 800 in the high cal version.

Not cheap though.

OwenM 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Bewell/ Expedition foods all very good, I've only just gotten around to getting some firepot meals to try but like the ones I have. I work on about 500kcals each for breakfast and midday snacks and 800 for evening meal.

In reply to Alan M:

I usually use these guys

https://tentmeals.co.uk/

Not quite tried everything from their menu yet, but what I have had’s been delish  

Alexi 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Summit to Eat, indeed very good stuff. I also like Lyo, Real Turmat, Expedition Foods, Trek 'N Eat, Adventure Food, and maybe some other I forgot.
I tend to stay away from Travellunch; main meals have crazy amounts of salt, or something saltlike, that tends to make my heart go mental.

markk 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan M:

Yes - +1 for Firepot meals.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...