NEW ROUTE CARD: Cruach Ardrain from Crianlarich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ben Lui from the northwest flank of Cruach ArdrainA steep-sided summit radiating three enjoyably knobbly ridges, Cruach Ardrain is the most attractive thing on the sawtoothed skyline above Crianlarich, and arguably one of the great mountains of the Southern Highlands. While often climbed from the south with neighbouring Beinn Tualaichean to make a two-Munro day, the northern alternative has more topographical logic, providing a brilliant horseshoe circuit with plenty of steep and challenging ground.

8.26 miles, 13.30 km, 998m ascent, 6 – 7 hours. Killin

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1222
 Harry Jarvis 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

The same circuit can be done with a start in Glen Falloch. It's been some time since I did it, and I can't be sure of my precise starting point, but I suspect it would be somewhere near grid reference 370 238. However, it's not impossible that forestry operations have rendered this approach impassable in the intervening years. 

Mark Bull 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I believe that it is possible to avoid the hideous boggy path by staying on the track to its end at NN383232 and then heading uphill from there. 

> The same circuit can be done with a start in Glen Falloch. It's been some time since I did it, and I can't be >  sure of my precise starting point, but I suspect it would be somewhere near grid reference 370 238.

Yes, that's also an option, using the bridge at NN379228 to access the slopes of Grey Height. It's the usual start point for An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin. Making the circuit would require walking about a mile along the A82. 

Post edited at 10:22
 Joak 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Mark Bull:

I now avoid the bog and bush whacking by continuing along the forestry track to the wee bridge over the Allt Coire Ardrain.  Staying on the west side of the burn, after crossing a deer fence a short way up the Coire both of Ardain's bounding ridges are easily reached, providing a choice of doing a clockwise or an anti clockwise traverse. I also use this approach for Y Gully.      

In reply to Joak:

That's a good tip, thanks

Mark Bull 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Joak:

Great, thanks for that! 

In reply to Joak:

Aye - that's my route too. Maybe see ye oot on the hill soon as winter now set to come back!

Joak 14 Jan 2019
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Aye it's beginning to look like winter is finally getting its act together, instead of the here today, gone tomorrow pattern we've had to suffer up till now. I've had a few good winter days out on the Lawers group, Ben Lui, Bidean, Ben More and Stob Binnein, Stob Ghabhar and Cruach Ardrain where crampons were required. Good neve and icy. Aw ma other outings have been distinctly autumnal affairs. Hopefully that's aw aboot tae change. Oor paths will cross yin o them days neebur.   

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...