Cat Bells - but different?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wheezy 07 May 2019

Once again I request advice from the wise members here.

Trip to the Lakes coming up (mixed group of friends - some walkers, some not)- 2 teenage (13ish) boys coming,  who I've taken up Cat Bells and they loved it.

I'm looking for a similar shortish / easy but interesting walk to take these non walkers on that might further their interest.

Thanks in Advance

Wheezy (but less so than I was!)

In reply to Wheezy:

Small, manageable but characterful hills is arguably what the Lakes does better than anywhere else in the UK

You could try:

Hallin Fell https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=843

Place Fell https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=158 (doesn't have to be a full circuit as here, though the Ullswater shoreline is fantastic)

Helm Crag https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=856 (again, a shorter route than described here is easily done)

Lingmoor Fell https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=877

Bowscale Fell https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=874

That's just scratching the surface, but should be enough to be getting on with

Ridge 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Latrigg nr Keswick?

Park just past the Blencathra Centre NY302256 (small rough car park but can usually get in). Follow obvious track north to head of Glenderaterra valley, cross footbridge and then pick up faint track heading SW to join obvious path that heads south and skirts Lonscale Fell. (Effectively heading back down Glenderaterra valley on the other side but a bit higher up). 

Continue to parking area and go up obvious signed path to top of Latrigg. Descent Latrigg heading east to field gate and stile by minor road. Turn left, immediately right at fork on dirt road and follow road downhill about 50 yards and left onto signed footpath to Derwentfolds. Follow path from Derwentfolds back to Blencathra Centre.

About 6.5 miles, 1100ft climb (but very gradual apart from last bit). Stunning views on a clear day.

climber34neil 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Castle crag, borrowdale? Or Grasmere to easdale tarn then across up to helm crag and back, or sour milk Gill to gillercomb and round from there or, same start point then up to styhead , across to sprinkling tarn and back down

Post edited at 09:37
 climbingpixie 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Depending on where you're based, something like the Dunnerdale Horseshoe might be a good option - it's like a proper fell walk taking in several distinct hills but shrunk down to miniature and usually lovely and quiet as well.

Pyreneenemec 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Base Brown and Green Gable.

My first taste of hillwalking was Base Brown and Green Gable from Seathwaite. It was part of a day out to Keswick with the cathedral choir I sang with.  A  complete surprise, we had no idea beforehand ! The choirmaster stated we simply couldn't visit the Lakes without doing a walk. Loads of moans and groans, but it was only a few hours  and we all  managed it and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. No way this would happen today, health and safety and all that but it's what started me out and I shall be forever  grateful !

The Lemming 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

How about a low level walk along the shore of Ullswater?

Take the ferry from Glenridding to Howtown and then walk back to Glenridding along the shore.

If you want a bit of adventure then you could knock off Place Fell along the way. The views from up there are stunning. This hill is not mandatory and will not spoil the wall if left out because the shore walk is a pleasure. There is even a ice cream shop near the end.

Mike Peacock 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

I'd second suggestions of Castle Crag (Borrowdale) and Helm Crag. I'd also add High Rigg just south of Keswick. Start at the south end, traverse a lovely undulating hill, descend to a tiny church and then have a leisurely walk back along the valley near a river.

http://www.wainwrightwalking.co.uk/high-rigg/

Pyreneenemec 07 May 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Afternoon tea at Sharrow Bay

Jon Stewart 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

How about a little bit of scrambling?

Helm Crag is great - a miniature little mountain with a miniature little scramble at the summit.

Bigger than Catbells, but the classic of the Langdale Pikes via Jack's Rake will be a step up and can be quite thrilling.

A little bigger again (but still short - 4 miles or something) is Blencathra by Sharp Edge. A real taste of the mountains that will linger in the memory forever.

A wonderful, very quick and accessible scramble can be had up the ridge of Raven Crag Yewdale near Coniston. Really fun!

Darron 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Crikey, if they have little or no experience I’d steer clear of Sharp edge.

Pyreneenemec 07 May 2019
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

> Base Brown and Green Gable.

> My first taste of hillwalking was Base Brown and Green Gable from Seathwaite. It was part of a day out to Keswick with the cathedral choir I sang with.  A  complete surprise, we had no idea beforehand ! The choirmaster stated we simply couldn't visit the Lakes without doing a walk. Loads of moans and groans, but it was only a few hours  and we all  managed it and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. No way this would happen today, health and safety and all that but it's what started me out and I shall be forever  grateful !

Forgot the link

http://www.wainwrightwalking.co.uk/base-brown-and-green-gable/

Lornajkelly 07 May 2019
In reply to climber34neil:

was actually about to suggest Castle crag.  The walk down the Borrowdale valley can be started at Grange or further up by Hawes end.  It's a lovely walk down the valley, then a short and sharp climb up to the top of Castle crag (mostly on slate steps).  The views over Derwentwater are breathtaking.  There's a great tearoom in Portinscale too, to hit on the way back.

Jon Stewart 07 May 2019
In reply to Darron:

I've seen 6 year olds and grannies manage it fine. Bit of adventure is good for the character. And the chances of death are quite slim.

mostlyrambling 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Causey Pike, perhaps?

If you park below Barrow, there are straightforward paths up with some fun but very easy scrambling when you reach the "nobble" - then an airy ridge walk above Scar Crags before descending at the col below Sail to walk back down the valley along the side of Stoneycroft Gill (again, a clear path). Around 5 miles in total.

Wainers44 07 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Catbells then Sharp Edge? I am sure many do do it without dieing. 

Wainers44 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Cheat?

Knott Rigg and Ard Craggs off Newlands? Or Brandreth and Green Gable or Fleetwith off Honister?

In reply to Wainers44:

Sharp Edge and Cat Bells are completely different. I don't think Sharp Edge is at all the kind of thing the OP was looking for. It's a definite scramble and I would say too serious, exposed and scary for many 'non-walkers' (of course, everyone is different, and some would cope just fine). There's a bit above the Sharp Edge itself thats shelving, shiny rock and quite serious. Plus: it's a long walk in, then a dreary long trudge to the summit and decent views. Helm Crag is a much better bet.

Wheezy 07 May 2019

Wow - what great suggestions, and so prompt.

Lots to try here - thank you all so much.  Sharing our love of the hills is part of the fun I guess.

The challenging options of sharp edge or Jack's Rake I'm afraid will be too much. They're not my offspring so any walk will need parental sign off!  Though I am planning to walk Sharp Edge again myself to revisit old memories.

We're staying near Keswick (I'm told - not entirely sure where!) so routes in the northern Lakes will be most likely.

Thank you all again 

Wheezy

Ramblin dave 07 May 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I don't think that Sharp Edge with (fit, reasonably sensible) teenagers is necessarily an awful idea, but I'd agree that it's not what the OP was asking for.

Hall's Fell, also on Blencathra, might not be a bad idea though? Direct, steep, exciting without being too serious, and tops out bang on the summit.

Plenty of other good suggestions in the thread, too. Castle Crag and Helm Crag, particularly. My -perhaps unfair - assumption would be that 13 year old boys are going to be more interested in action-packed "mini-mountain" type experiences rather than lovely scenic valley walks and nice views. When I was a kid, the "must do" walk of any trip to the lakes was Harrison's Stickle via Stickle Tarn and the East side of Pavey Ark (but not Jack's Rake).

In reply to Ramblin dave:

Hall's Fell far better, yes. In fact a very good suggestion.

PS. I think it's very important when introducing people to the hills, not to scare them. Better to get onto more exposed things in stages.

Post edited at 12:12
 Trangia 07 May 2019
In reply to Darron:

> Crikey, if they have little or no experience I’d steer clear of Sharp edge.

Agreed, and I'd say the same about the scramble to the top of Helm Crag for someone inexperienced. 

justdoit 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Red Screes

red screes is a nice one if you want can always do little scramble bits on the side as well, plus theres a pub at the bottom with a car park ?? 

Max factor 07 May 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Hi Dan, 

with your knowledge, do you think you could trot out a similarly handy list of Snowdonia hills for littler ones (5-10) please? In N. Snowdonia, everthing seems to go high or be forest wallks, and I find it hard to find a suitably pointy hill that gives that summit feeling. Yes, there is the moelwyns, cadar idris, but not where we tend to be based and the paths are more likely to be tussocky-grass which is particularly hard on little legs. 

Thanks

Max

Mike Peacock 07 May 2019
In reply to Max factor:

I'm not Dan (obviously) but some I like are:
Clogwyn Mawr and Crimpiau above Capel Curig (optional scrambling),

The Horns (the ridge/hill between Pyg and Miners' paths on Snowdon),

Gyrn via Moel Faban and Lefn above Bethesda (a bit grassy but Gyrn itself has a rocky top), and optional continuation onto Moel Wnion

Moel Berfedd above Pen-y-Pass, and Clogwyn y Garreg above Rhyd Ddu both have great views and a little bit of optional scrambling (both ideal for an hour's walk or so)

Mynydd Sygyn above Beddgelert

In reply to Max factor:

Moel Siabod is medium sized and an excellent viewpoint. Best by the 'scramble' up the Daear Ddu (very easy, not exposed).

Bulls Crack 07 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Hooray we've achieved max thread divergence!

Wainers44 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

One of the nicest in the North is Ullock Pike from Ravenstone Hotel. Carry on across Longside and Carlside even finish with Dodd if the views are good. Feels like a proper walk and is much quieter than the motorway up Skiddaw! 

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> And the chances of death are quite slim.

Only here on this site could such a sentence be interpreted in any positive way 

More seriously, as already mentioned, Hall's Fell has a nice and spicy feel without being too serious - although there's a reasonable slog on the lower flanks which might not be the best idea if one is genuinely wheezy!

Darron 07 May 2019
In reply to Max factor:

The group of small hills to the west of Conway (starting at Synchant(sp) pass) might fit the bill.

Wimlands 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

As some else suggested Causey Pike would work if based in Keswick. Launch to get across the lake, not that high, nice little scrambly top and short ridge walk with excellent views...of Catbells for instance.

Or one of my favourites if they are up for something a bit more challenging. Up Robinson’s and down Hindscarth.

Post edited at 19:51
In reply to Wheezy:

I'm a wee bit surprised that no-one's mentioned this yet, but how about Grisedale Pike?  It can easily be seen (if the weather allows) from Keswick and has an obvious 'come hither' appeal.  If you've got that far then Hopegill Head is just a trot further on and you can return via Coledale and the Force Crag mines.  Or park at the top of Honister Pass and go to Haystacks, possibly ticking one or two other peaks as you choose.

Alternatively, if the weather makes higher activities unwise, then the circuit of Place Fell from Patterdale via Boredale Hause and Boredale, returning along the shore of Ullswater, makes for a good trip.

T.

bouldery bits 07 May 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

> Cheat?

> Knott Rigg and Ard Craggs off Newlands? Or Brandreth and Green Gable or Fleetwith off Honister?

Indeed. 

Stig 07 May 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Also not mentioned, very close to Keswick, easy parking and an interesting ascent, and finally a bonus comedy name: Barf. 

And the views are stunning!

For the Welsh option: Mynydd Mawr. Again absolutely stupendous views and a fun ascent (done it with a large group of 6-9 year olds).

Ridge 07 May 2019
In reply to Stig:

If doing Barf I wouldn't recommend the direct ascent via the Bishop to non-walkers, it's not very pleasant and IIRC there's been a couple of MRT call outs. Barf and Lords seat via the Whinlatter tracks would be better, or a bit of a scramble via the stream path up from powter how car park.

Post edited at 21:02
 Tom Last 07 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Causey Pike?

Max factor 07 May 2019
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Thanks Mike and every one else for the suggestions, look to be some good ones there. The one I couldn't spot was Clogwyn Mawr (looking at the map near Capel Curig). Unless it's Clogwyn mawr y ffrid?

Stig 07 May 2019
In reply to Ridge:

Yes we went up the path south of Beckstones Gill. Even that’s quite steep!

Mike Peacock 08 May 2019
In reply to Max factor:

Here you go:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/SH7258

It's a tiny mini mountain. You can scramble up a vague spur if you go from the footbridge at the SE. Then descend W to Capel or head on to Crimpiau (big boggy).

Mike Peacock 08 May 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> I'm a wee bit surprised that no-one's mentioned this yet, but how about Grisedale Pike?  It can easily be seen (if the weather allows) from Keswick and has an obvious 'come hither' appeal.

To me, that's an altogether different level of difficulty to Cat Bells, for people who are non-walkers. It's twice the distance from car park to summit, and about twice the ascent. The NE could be long and tedious for some people who aren't used to walking.

Mike Peacock 08 May 2019

NE ridge that meant to say...

Dark-Cloud 08 May 2019

I agree, Grisedale Pike is bloody awful, although admittedly my judgement may have been clouded somewhat as it’s the first climb on the Coledale Horeshoe fell race so I wasn’t functioning very well by the time I got half way up it......

Causey Pike mentioned above is a good shout though, go from Stair via Stonycroft Ghyll to the col before the climb up Sail, great views from the top.

Mike-W-99 08 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Causey Pike a nice summit. Was up there for the 1st time on saturday, looks quite intimidating if approaching from the SE.

Another suggestion, how about visiting the two bothies up near honister?

jdh90 08 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

My skim-read of the thread didn't pick up (m)any people suggesting Loughrigg.  In my opinion it has one of the best views for least effort in the Lakes and has Rydal cave for a bit of mid-way interest.  I like to do it as a circular from Grasmere by starting up through Deerbolts wood, taking in the top before descending to either White Moss or Rydal Mount to climb up to the Coffin Route to get back to Grasmere.

I'll also back Helm Crag (Grasmere) and Castle Crag (Borrowdale) as great suggestions.

Max factor 08 May 2019

Ta. looks like the one behind the campsite next to the Bryn Trych.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Oh, I don't know.  Pick a nice day and you have a clearly defined route, good views getting better as you get further up and I don't think it's too much to ask given the ages of the kids doing it; it'd be considerably more amendable than say the Hall's Fell route up Blencathra which has been suggested.  Plus if you descend via Coledale you get to wander down through the mine for some further interest.

But whichever route is chosen up whichever hill, large or small, given the weather it'll be a grand day out.

T.

In reply to Max factor:

Hi Max

I don't know Snowdonia as well as the Lakes (it's too far from me) so I wouldn't be able to make a similar list. I honestly don't think it's as good as the Lakes for small-but-worthwhile hills, though I guess it depends how you define small.

There are already some great suggestions, and I'd only have echoed them: Crimpiau, the Horns, Mynydd Mawr, the hills above Conwy are all great options. If we can go a bit bigger then...

Cnicht https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=127

Yr Aran https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1234

I also remember really liking Creigiau Gleision (sp?) though it was a long time ago and I don't recall if there was an easy path

Dingerbell 09 May 2019
In reply to Wheezy:

Try Weatherlam shortish walk with 2 easy scrambles . Steel edge and wetherlam edge. 

Nice little tarn once up Steel edge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...