Car park behind Wasdale Head campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Darren 21 Nov 2018

Sorry for the boring question, but when on the 3 peaks a few years ago we parked up in the car park behind the campsite at Wasdale Head. It was stupid-o-clock in the morning so there was no need to see if there were any restrictions.

My questions are:

Who does this car park belong to? 

Are there any restrictions for the general public?

Are there any fees? 

Many thanks!

Mark Eddy 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Darren:

Car park is operated by National Trust. No charge for NT members, for non members it's about £7 - £8 per day. 

pec 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Darren:

Not sure which car park you mean by "behind the campsite". Is that the National Trust campsite just past the lake or the other campsite just before the pub?

If you mean the one near the pub and Barn Door Shop then just before you get to it is a large grassy area on the right, triangular in shape, where you can park for free without any restrictions, its officially the village green. There's also a public toilet maintained by the local community about 100 yards back down the road (i.e. before you get to the green).

The National Trust car park and campsite is about a mile before the green over a bridge on the right as you drive up the valley.

Zoom in on this and you can see both car parks labelled, the campsite near the pub isn't labelled but you can see tents in the field.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/wasdale+village+green/@54.4633976,-3.2...

Post edited at 18:56
 yorkshire_lad2 22 Nov 2018
In reply to pec:

Just to add

adjacent to the village green, there's a field which is often used as an overflow car park. i believe overnight camping on the village green is not encouraged, and overnight parking elsewhere e.g. along the lake is positively discouraged.

pec 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Yes, you can see cars in that field in the google link I posted.

All the lay-bys in Wasdale are labelled as no overnight parking although it doesn't stop people and I think there are signs on the green asking people not to camp but lots of people sleep in their vans on the green, there are no signs prohibiting that and it doesn't seem to cause any harm, especially since there is a public toilet 100 yards away.

Bob Bennett 22 Nov 2018
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Positively discouraged? I would apply that to the so called Three Peaks Race itself.

yorkshire_lad2 23 Nov 2018
In reply to Bob Bennett:

I was being polite.  As Pec says "All the lay-bys in Wasdale are labelled as no overnight parking although it doesn't stop people".  I would agree with your comment about the Three peaks event (both the national that I guess you're referring to, and I'd add the Yorkshire one).

Darren 27 Nov 2018
In reply to Mark Eddy:

I parked in the NT car park, it was the one I was referring too. I'm an NT member so that was a bonus. It was Friday 23rd November at about 09:30 and was a nice day up on Scafell.

Many thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...