Cape Wrath trail -best tip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuanTinco 03 Sep 2020

If all goes (and stays) to plan my trusted 4 legged friend and I will be up to start from Fort William in a couple of weeks.

A lot of my pre-planning involved the uses of bothies - which are now closed (a different arguement to have) so planning to take a bit extra weight and take my bigger tent.

Feel hill fit, good use of a map and like luke warm tea, other than that what are some top tips from the UKC collective?

Juan

In reply to JuanTinco:

Hi Juan

This article could have been written for you. How to Walk the Cape Wrath Trail: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/how_to_walk_the_cape_wr...

Have a great time!

goatee 03 Sep 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

Take a pair of crocs. They are great to put on when crossing rivers and also at the end of the day when you take off your boots/shoes. Weight is next to nothing. One piece of kit I never travel without.

goose299 03 Sep 2020
In reply to goatee:

You need to talk to my wife. 
She ridicules my croc wearing but they’re so bloody useful and comfy

bouldery bits 03 Sep 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

I am jealous.

Lankyman 04 Sep 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious: midge net.

OP JuanTinco 04 Sep 2020

Thanks all,

I like the crocs idea, although it is probably for the best I'm going on my own to avoid any anti croc abuse.

Surely all the midges will be gone by then....

PPP 04 Sep 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

Having done parts of it and been spending more time in trail running shoes, I would not want to hike CWT in boots. 

I’ve been looking at it, but hoping to do it under a week. 

OwenM 04 Sep 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

Don't stick to the guidebook route, it's quite boring  lots of walking on estate roads. Just make your own route up.

In reply to JuanTinco:

The midges won't all be gone. However we are approaching a windier time  of year inW/NW Highlands so that tends to inhibit them. Looks like a wettish September coming up so be prepared for burn crossing problems and associated detours where necessary . Walking poles very helpful  in these circumstances.

In reply to JuanTinco:

Be aware too that second half of September  and early October are the peak of the deer-stalking season. You might never encounter a stalking party but you,ll certainly hear the odd gunshot

Robert Durran 04 Sep 2020
In reply to OwenM:

> Don't stick to the guidebook route, it's quite boring  lots of walking on estate roads. Just make your own route up.

I do wonder what the actual point of the Cape Wrath Trail is when there is no set route and nothing actually on then ground that was not there before. There has never been any barrier to anyone making up their own route and walking from Fort William to Cape Wrath. I do wonder whether it is really no more than a marketing ploy for books and maps.

OP JuanTinco 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Not sure on the marketing ploy, I've bought the Harvey map set for about twenty five quid, buying the number of OS maps to cover the same would be more?

I do agree on the using the guidebook as a rough plan but exploring alongside.

Juan

OwenM 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

As I  understand it the original idea was that you did make up your own route. It was more of a challenge,  plot a route from Fort Bill to Cape Wrath and go walk it. Its only recently that there have been guidebooks,  now everyone seem to slavishly follow them. They follow the line of least resistance and IMHO the line of least interest.

OP JuanTinco 04 Sep 2020
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Midge hope was a litte tounge in cheek, I've never really bothered with poles but am thinking maybe for this one considering all the water to cross.

Thanks

Juan

Route Adjuster 04 Sep 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

I recently watched a series of Youtube videos from a guy whose channel is called Hounds of Howgate, quite long (each day on a separate video of around 20-30 minutes), but I found it strangely addictive to watch.  He points out useful campsites along the way, problems with the Harvey maps and also navigational issues that you might encounter.  He was doing the trail in wet conditions, looked bloomin miserable but he stuck at it, his feet must have been a mess by the end I  suspect.

JB 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Would second idea of not sticking to the guidebook routes and go off piste a bit. I had great weather and did quite a few tops in the far north (Ben Mor Assynt, Foinaven etc) and managed to avoid all the roads in the Kinlochbervie area too...

OP JuanTinco 04 Sep 2020
In reply to Route Adjuster:

I'm with you, I'm hooked but I don't really know why, although he has given me some ideas about loading my own collie up. Not sure if I'll be carrying her!

Removed User 04 Sep 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

If you can, take your time and don't stick rigidly to a set route. Have the odd day off, climb a hill or just fester about a while.

Also don't assume you're going to cover 18-20 miles a day. I reckon 12 is more realistic given that many sections are pathless. Some of the river crossings can be challenging!

snoopdawg 04 Sep 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

Done it twice, May 2015 over 15 days and April 2019 over 12 days, both times however I intentionally missed out the first 2 days through the Cona Glen. A few points and forgive me if you have already considered these. Have you confirmed the ferry and mini bus are still running at the time you arrive at Cape Wrath, I'm sure there is an end date in Sept, if not its a lengthy walk to the ferry point and around the inlet. Also have you checked the MOD activity, I think there is a operation Warrior in action during this month, the web page for Kervaig bothy usually holds this info on the MBA page. If there is MOD activity you will be turned away.

I would say consider a hotel or bunkhouse stop during your stint, this may be difficult with the dog,  in case  foul weather and no bothies leaves you soaked and fed up. If you have accommodation booked they are usually happy to hold a parcel for you that you could send ahead. I usually include a couple of hotel  or bunkhouse stays just to get cleaned up, have some decent food and some beers. Remember you are likely to be out for nearly 2 weeks.

Beware of the weather, I did an attempt in Sept 2014 and had to bail out due to 3 days of gales.

Post edited at 20:32
 ScraggyGoat 04 Sep 2020

Joint Warrior dates (as of the start of the year) were:

JW 20-2: 21 September – 15 October 2020

Consequently be sure to phone the Cape Wrath range in advance to find out if access is possible. Note it is also possible some units might make use of the range before or after the planned exercise.

apwebber 05 Sep 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

One tip I have heard is to walk it the opposite direction, north to south. That way you're walking into warmer and longer days - it could be especially useful for your trip as the days are rapidly getting shorter.

Bob Aitken 05 Sep 2020
In reply to apwebber:

I fear any marginal benefits from those factors are almost guaranteed to be more than cancelled out by walking into the prevailing south-westerly wind - and rain.  Or just conceivably by having the steadily lowering sun in your eyes ...

Post edited at 08:23
 Lankyman 05 Sep 2020
In reply to Bob Aitken:

> I fear any marginal benefits from those factors are almost guaranteed to be more than cancelled out by walking into the prevailing south-westerly wind - and rain.  Or just conceivably by having the steadily lowering sun in your eyes ...

But you will be able to see the midges coming.

OP JuanTinco 05 Sep 2020
In reply to snoopdawg:

Thanks for this.

My plan is similar and starting from Glenfinan as have spent a bit of time in Cona Glen previously.

The MOD website only has current firing times up until the end of September but will give them a ring on Monday, my current plan is to leave a stash around Sandwood bay and have a quick dart up to the top and back to the tent for tea and medals.

I'm fortunate as the rest of the family are the area with a camper van so can have a night here and there to dry off if needs be.

Juan

OP JuanTinco 05 Sep 2020
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Will be all downhill doing it that way though...

Andy Johnson 08 Sep 2020
In reply to snoopdawg:

> I would say consider a hotel or bunkhouse stop during your stint, this may be difficult with the dog,  in case  foul weather and no bothies leaves you soaked and fed up. If you have accommodation booked they are usually happy to hold a parcel for you that you could send ahead.

I sent a food parcel to the Inchnadamph Hotel. The couple that ran it seemed pretty understanding about walkers turning up wet and dirty, and they have a decent bar. They told me that by the end of the autumn they usually have a shelf full of unclaimed parcels, which they used as hill food for their own winter trips when the hotel is closed.

Definitely a pain getting back from the Cape. I'd probably walk back to Sandwood for a finish, then get the bus out from Kinlochbervie or Rhichonich. Durness Bus do a minibus service to Inverness.

OwenM 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Durness community bus to Inverness,  not sure it goes everyday.  

Andy Johnson 08 Sep 2020
In reply to OwenM:

> Durness community bus to Inverness,  not sure it goes everyday.  

Yeah looks to be Saturday only: http://www.thedurnessbus.com/durnessnew/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/805-Durn...

OwenM 08 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Oh dear, looks like they've cut it right back. A sign of the times I guess.

Removed User 08 Oct 2020
In reply to JuanTinco:

Hiked the Cape Wrath this year, August 2020. I was grateful to have GPS backup, 2 poles for crossing rivers. There were effectively only 3 food shops for the 2 weeks along the trail including detour to Ullapool. So packed up to 6 days food. As previous poster said check the ferry at both ends. Can highly recommend the hounds of howgate chap, he has a dog, found him amusing on YouTube. The feet may take a beating , if you have cream that works for you. Also took bothy bag although I had a tent, for reassurance of getting out of the weather, used once in anger. 

I was knackered all the way , but look back with fonder memories. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...