Camping drumochter Munros

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hoping to get up to Scotland later this month, and to get some Munros done, beinn udlamain a likely target. I’ll need accommodation though, and one option would be camping on the hill- but that would mean leaving a car overnight open one of the lay bys on the A9 at Drumochter. Has anyone done this? Any issues with doing this?

Graeme G 06 May 2021
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

What issue are you imagining? There’s a truck stop on the east side of the A9 at Drumochter.

Kalna_kaza 06 May 2021

It should be fine. Leave nothing on show and remove any valuables - all very standard. 

Consider leaving a note in the windscreen to inform police / MRT that you are camping and expect to be back the next day to avoid a well intentioned but unnecessary call out. 

If you are concerned have an early start on the second day (I rarely sleep late in a tent) so you minimise the time the car is sat by the A9 unattended.

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Thanks- what I was thinking- and wanted to check there was no ‘no overnight parking’ rule, or a reputation as a hotspot for break ins...

Sean Kelly 07 May 2021

There's a car park on the west side of the A9 near the old railway halt. Also a b&b nearby which I used a couple of years back is ok. Otherwise stay in Aviemore (yha). Nice walk that I've done both summer and winter. Easy to include all 3/4 Munros on this side of the A9.

Post edited at 09:28
 Martin W 07 May 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> There's a car park on the west side of the A9 near the old railway halt. Also a b&b nearby which I used a couple of years back is ok.

Do you mean Balsporran Cottages: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.883466,-4.253731,199m/data=!3m1!1e3?

I can thoroughly recommend the B&B there, especially if you're in to carpentry and woodwork, that being the second interest/business of mein host.  He's also generous with a welcome dram when you first arrive.  It is certainly a good location from which to access Beinn Udlamain and the rest of the Drumochter Hills west of the A9 (which can easily be done in one day).

AFAIK there never was a halt there.  The nearest station on the line that is no longer extant was at Dalnaspidal Lodge, about 4 miles further south on the other side of the pass.  (Dalwhinnie station, which is still open, is about the same distance further north.)

EDIT: I now realise that you were suggesting parking at Dalnaspidal, which of course would also work for accessing the hills.

Post edited at 15:10
 Siward 08 May 2021

Oh gawd the dreaded A9 Munros, as I've always called them. Never yet been able to convince myself to experience their charms but the time is approaching... 

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Stashing a bike in the heather at one end is also a good idea. There's a cycle path so no need to ride on the A9.

OwenM 08 May 2021
In reply to Siward:

Much better done in winter when they're frozen solid. Even better do them on skis.

Sean Kelly 08 May 2021
In reply to Martin W:

I though that in the distant past they needed two trains to climb up Drumochter hence the halt. Bolsporran look very much like former railway properties?

Yes agree about Balsporran Cottages. Its funny inside as it was 2 cottages knocked together. So it has this internal double staircase!

The Munros on the other side of the road I've also done summer & winter, but my ascent on a truly dreadful August day of heavy deluge was memorable. The micro navigation to gain the southern Munro was incredibly difficult in the thick mist and took about 45 minutes of wandering about to finally locate the summit cairn. What with all the minor undulations to investigate. Notably easier now with GPS which I avoided using for years. When we got back to the A9 I stripped off completely naked before jumping into the car and putting on dry clothes. Interesting for the passengers on a passing bus!

Post edited at 10:47
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Yes I had a day like that last august, doing Stuc a’chroin from loch lubnaig- a similar strip change in the car by the side of the A84. Summer hillwalking... 😆

I’ve enjoyed the drumochter Munros, despite their lack of drama- and always had good weather so far, so I hope that run of luck continues. I’m owed a good day after last year... 

dalnaspidal parking looks worth me checking out. And (barring a biblical deluge) camping it is- want to get use out of the tent...!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...